2320 repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueghost93

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 08 2320 that’s in need of a new engine. In todays market finding a brand new it used outboard seems impossible. It currently has a f250txr Yamaha that’s always seemed underpowered for this boat given the tower, second steering station on deck, 3 scoop bait tank etc.

My main question is should I strictly stick to a Yamaha and go with a 300 like my previous boat. Or should I be open to other options? I currently have located a 2018 Evinrude G2 250, and a 2011 Evinrude 300. Both have only a few hundred hours on them and it’s from a reputable shop. I have heard that the 250 G2 motor would be the equivalent if not better than a Yamaha 300 and then the 2011 Evinrude two stroke is pretty much bulletproof and more so equivalent to the power of a 350.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi all I have a 08 2320 that’s in need of a new engine. In todays market finding a brand new it used outboard seems impossible. It currently has a f250txr Yamaha that’s always seemed underpowered for this boat given the tower, second steering station on deck, 3 scoop bait tank etc.

My main question is should I strictly stick to a Yamaha and go with a 300 like my previous boat. Or should I be open to other options? I currently have located a 2018 Evinrude G2 250, and a 2011 Evinrude 300. Both have only a few hundred hours on them and it’s from a reputable shop. I have heard that the 250 G2 motor would be the equivalent if not better than a Yamaha 300 and then the 2011 Evinrude two stroke is pretty much bulletproof and more so equivalent to the power of a 350.

Any feedback is appreciated.

As an owner of one, I’d stay away from the ETECs. You’d be buying into a dead technology that’s only half heartedly supported by its former manufacturer. Parts will only become more difficult and expensive to obtain, and fewer and fewer engine places will be willing to work on it. It’s obsolescent technology, which is only going to cause you headaches in the long run.

That said, I like the engine itself, but would definitely be replacing with a 4-stroke when the time comes to repower.

Reactions: A-K
No to the Yamaha......Defenetly NO to the Ugly G2 Evenrude that are out of business.

Maybe you have not been around here long enough ?

Suzuki 300AP

Thank you both for the replies. I am very hesitant on the Evinrude due to the fact they’re out of business. But insurance is paying out the cost to cover the power of either of the Evinrudes. The only other option I have is to continue to sit around and hope something shows up. My friends have twins Suzuki 300s on their 2820 and think they were the best engines made but I can’t seem to find one either.

Pelagic2530, what mpg are you getting with your E tech? And which engine do you have in particular.

Side thought, since insurance is covering the cost up to a certain amount it almost seems worth it to swap One of those Evinrude‘s on so I can at least use my boat and could always sell the engine and re-power again later

No direct experience with evinrude, but I would agree what’s written above about them.

I have a 2320 set very similar to yours, 50 gallon bait tank, second station, I run that boat heavy for nw albacore tuna.

My Yamaha 300 just hit 850 hours not big hours yet but zero issues to date. It’s about a perfect engine for my 2320 and how I fish.

No experience with Suzuki but hear good things about them.

I’d probably pass on the Mercury’s too.

Just my 2 cents.

No direct experience with evinrude, but I would agree what’s written above about them.

I have a 2320 set very similar to yours, 50 gallon bait tank, second station, I run that boat heavy for nw albacore tuna.

My Yamaha 300 just hit 850 hours not big hours yet but zero issues to date. It’s about a perfect engine for my 2320 and how I fish.

No experience with Suzuki but hear good things about them.

I’d probably pass on the Mercury’s too.

Just my 2 cents.
I’ve always had Yamaha and never had any major issues. Just finding one sooner then later seems very difficult. Especially with low hours.

I second (or third? Fourth? Whatever) the no on the E-Tec. My boss has one and has only been able to find one shop in town that will service it (and poorly at that, for a hefty fee). I think any 300 would be fine honestly, Yamaha, Suzuki, or...dare I say...Mercury? A buddy of mine has one of the supercharged 300s and it is the quietest, smoothest outboard I have ever heard. As a 2320 owner though, I will just say make sure you go with the 300. My boat won't set any speed records, but it never feels underpowered, even with lots of gear and friends on board. I have to transit through a nasty inlet and that extra power makes all the difference in the standing rollers. Personally, I would wait and search for the best option you can, you'll regret it if you compromise now. Good luck in your search!

Just a little Yamaha History.

Way back in '03-'04......225-250 HPDI's.....[Yes they were 2 stroke]

But Yamaha had major problems.....People bought boats new....Spent $150K and couldn't get across the Bay with them. But Yamaha acted like there was no problem.

People were making payments on boats that they couldn't use. The SKA boats that Yamaha sponsored got fixed first. Yamaha sent a team to fix these engines and each one required 12hr of work.

This is part of that "Failure to know History, dumed to be repeated." [The way I see it anyway]

Then there is the 4 stroke exhaust eaten up......Power head has to be pulled for that repair.

I've owned 1 new Yamaha ['98 C90] thats a premix and my brother still owns it. Been flawless.
I've owned 5 Suzuki 4 strokes. [70 - 90A - pair of 140's and a 300APX ]

I had problems with the 70....It was used and neglected.....It was a dock tender boat at a marina......and was never flushed.....So it coroded badly......It was replaced with the 90A.

I'd buy another Suzuki if I was in the market tomorrow.

Not sure what size lower you need either a 25 or 30 BUT Seacoast Marine in New Hampshire had one left as far as I know. I drove up there on August 23 for my DF 300APXX and he had one left. He sold me the motor for 21k and there is no sales tax in NH, hope that helps

Not sure what size lower you need either a 25 or 30 BUT Seacoast Marine in New Hampshire had one left as far as I know. I drove up there on August 23 for my DF 300APXX and he had one left. He sold me the motor for 21k and there is no sales tax in NH, hope that helps
That’s a fantastic price…..

That actually sounds like a really good deal. I believe my boat has a 25 inch shaft though I’ll need to double check it’s a 08 2320 with the bracket on the back

I have pretty much same boat as you except it's a 06 back in 2018 I put a Suzie 300 on it best thing I ever did. I ran a Yamaha 225 4stroke for 2000 hrs with no problems but it was a little underpowered when fully loaded. Go Suzuki if you can find one you won't regret it.

Yea my plan is to find a Suzuki. If I have to I’ll throw something on for now but I’ll hunt and search

I have pretty much same boat as you except it's a 06 back in 2018 I put a Suzie 300 on it best thing I ever did. I ran a Yamaha 225 4stroke for 2000 hrs with no problems but it was a little underpowered when fully loaded. Go Suzuki if you can find one you won't regret it.

Very similar story, my boat is a 2005. I put 1800+ hours on a Yamaha F225. The F225 dropped a valve and blew up in the Fall of 2018. I hung a white, 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX for the start of my 2019 Season. Currently have 800+ hours on the Suzuki. So far the DF300APXX has been a significant improvement across the board in terms of performance over the Yamaha. I’m hoping I eventually get to say the same thing in terms of reliability and longevity regarding the Suzuki.

Yamaha 300 or Suzuki 300 and nothing else. Yamaha has more dealers and support and is lighter in weight. I have heard good things about Suzuki. Can't go wrong with either.

Very similar story, my boat is a 2005. I put 1800+ hours on a Yamaha F225. The F225 dropped a valve and blew up in the Fall of 2018. I hung a white, 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX for the start of my 2019 Season. Currently have 800+ hours on the Suzuki. So far the DF300APXX has been a significant improvement across the board in terms of performance over the Yamaha. I’m hoping I eventually get to say the same thing in terms of reliability and longevity regarding the Suzuki.
What are your numbers? Getting one installed now on my 2520 MV with swim platform

What are your numbers? Getting one installed now on my 2520 MV with swim platform
Whatever I own, truck, boat etc, I never get as good of performance #s as other people on the internet. Why that is I won’t speculate but it is what it is.

My boat is 2005 Parker 2520SL. I have a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX, transom mount with 30” leg, propeller is Suzuki Watergrip 3x16x17. I carry a big deck box that weighs approximately 300lbs. Boat has trim tabs, Petit Hydrocoat for bottom paint. I run everything in nautical miles, statue would be 1.15 better.

I run almost exclusively in the open ocean and start most trips with full fuel and 150-200 pounds of ice, 1-3 passengers.

WOT with a full load in calm water is 33kts, 5900RPM. I have reached 35kts in absolutely perfect conditions with 1/2 a tank of fuel on board.

Cruise is 4200-4500rpm and gets me 22-24kts. In perfect conditions I get 1.8 mpg on the C-10 with gps, when it’s rough these numbers drop off and can vary significantly.

I am now over 830 hours. I’ve run the boat in some very challenging conditions offshore and have never felt under powered In terms of being able to power out of a wave trough or get on plane. The Suzuki DF300APXX is significantly better then my previous F225 was. If I ran in an area that was calm, I wouldn’t mind being able to go faster but on at least 95% of my trips, sea conditions do not allow me to travel much faster then 20-22kts.

My typical offshore trip is 50 miles out and 50 miles back at cruise speed with 6-7kt troll. I typically put on 12-14 engine hours and fuel burn for the day is approximately 60 gallons +/- 10%……

Back