2320 set up for bluefin tuna

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D00nspoon

Reaction score
i have an 01 2320 no bracket I’m going to set up for fishing bluefin tuna mostly stellwagon, cape cod bay and occasionally south of Martha’s vineyard. I’m trying to see what others have done with their boats such as rod holder placements and size for 0 degree rod holders, and the best ways of boating jumbo fish. I’ll be fishing penn 80visw on Chatham special longs… thanks all help is appreciated

if you are after gbft i think you are going to need some real/good reinforced rod holders a d a real good bow rail

i suggest you text/call joe for the rod holders at +1 (978) 701-2041. he’s a fabricator in the boston area that makes some of the best rod holders out there.

on my 23 se cc and my 2501 i have three. one on each side gunwall and one on the bow. i will only fight fish from the bow for the obvious reasons.

i am not so familiar with the 2320 and access to the bow - especially while carrying a big rod with a big reel with the drag screaming. that’s going to be the key to me because in any 23’ boat - especially one with a notch transom - i think the bow is the only place to safely fight a gbft. where do you put the put the fighting rod holder that you can get to it?

My plan is to fight them midway up the starboard gunnel. I think that would make it easier to watch the rod and maneuver the boat during the fight. With the pilot house I don’t think there would be an easy way to fight them from the bow. I do plan on plumbing in a removable bait tank. Haven’t thought the process through much yet for that, probably put a y valve and run a bait pump from the same through hull as my raw water wash down. Something simple and removable. I have heard of Joe through others I know who have got his rod holders and I think that’s who I’ll contact. Thanks for the phone number, I had an email address for him phone is much easier.

Not to say it is impossible but it is very tough from a pilot house. Are you planning to troll or jig an pop? I’d rather be on 21cc boat than 23 ph. Unless you have a small and tight crew and 2nd station giant bft will walk you around the boat before you get it ( and you crew ) tired. Good harpoon and tail harness and couple of gaffs for end game. A good manual therapist for your neck and lumbar bulging disks😂

Attachments

• CAF713CC-E3B2-47EE-AC83-619F3DB7EC04.jpeg
    CAF713CC-E3B2-47EE-AC83-619F3DB7EC04.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 74
Well not the most reassuring post there, I feel like it’s entirely doable with enough good attitude from the crew which I believe I’ll have. Small crew of 3-4 lots of bad words and gusto. I’ve been mainly thinking bait but not opposed to dropping jigs etc on marked fish. I’m going to make it happen. I’m looking for the advise to make it so. Not knocking the advise btw, I’m just not in that tax bracket lol. Im determined enough it’s going to happen no matter what.

The way I see it more difficulty will bring more proficiency in the long run and I’m just getting going.

3 healthy guys with intimate knowledge of operating your boat. You will need a lot of quick maneuvering to keep the fish at your sides. BFT over 100lbs behaves more like an animal than your usual fish. Trolling/ fighting chair set up is WAY easier on you and your crew comparing to jigging and popping but boring. It is DOABLE on your boat, just be persistent with you goal and build a CREW. BFT fishing is addictive and expensive (like drugs).

Well not the most reassuring post there, I feel like it’s entirely doable with enough good attitude from the crew which I believe I’ll have. Small crew of 3-4 lots of bad words and gusto. I’ve been mainly thinking bait but not opposed to dropping jigs etc on marked fish. I’m going to make it happen. I’m looking for the advise to make it so. Not knocking the advise btw, I’m just not in that tax bracket lol. Im determined enough it’s going to happen no matter what.
I follow a woman on Insta that takes giants from her new 21' pilot house! She fishes from the bow.
So it's very doable!! Just my 2cents

Very doable on a 2320. Bait tank setup in the center with 3 or 4 guys fishing was our usual trip. The only time we fished from the bow was to follow the fish around the boat. It definitely can be done, but we just never needed to.

Attachments

• BigDay02-800X600.jpg
    BigDay02-800X600.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 72
  • BigDay03.jpg
    BigDay03.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
  • Fish03.jpg
    Fish03.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 72
remember. the op is talking “Stellwagen and cape cod bay”, “occasional S of MV”.

a lot of the recent posts are suggesting to me mostly smaller school fish. i oersonally have not seen an “under” S of Nauset in like 10 years.

point being, zero deg rod holders it sounds like he realizes where he fishes its gonna be large endnof rec or giant 90% of the time - which is why i’m not suggesting jigging.

sure - can be done. we’ve got up to 84” on the jig - but that’s not what i’m hearing he’s looking to be doing.

i’m strongly suggesting fight from the bow only - which is going to be a challenge to figure out - mostly cuz in a boat that size its the safest place to be getting dragged around from.

trying to maneuver on the fish constantly from another fixed holder spot in that size boat just isn't a practical possibility and you’d be setting yourself up to fail. nobody’s backing down to in a steep chop in a notch transom and by the time you did a 180 forward to get the fish behind the boat again it’d be going a different direction.

Like nicknotsebastian said contact Joe for the swivelrod holders. As a retired mechanical manufacturing engineer I can tell you you wont find a better swivelrod holder, his workmanship is beyond excellent and you cant beat his prices. I have a 2002 2320 and am relatively new to tuna fishing, have the luxury of a good friend who is a very experienced tuna fisherman. So far on my boat we have caught a 70" and successfully caught, revived and released a 101" bluefin. We have been using a starboard side transom mount swivel rod holder to fight the fish. Not perfect but it works, maybe if we had a third person on board it would be better. For the smaller fish we fought it from the bow with a harness.

Like nicknotsebastian said contact Joe for the swivelrod holders. As a retired mechanical manufacturing engineer I can tell you you wont find a better swivelrod holder, his workmanship is beyond excellent and you cant beat his prices. I have a 2002 2320 and am relatively new to tuna fishing, have the luxury of a good friend who is a very experienced tuna fisherman. So far on my boat we have caught a 70" and successfully caught, revived and released a 101" bluefin. We have been using a starboard side transom mount swivel rod holder to fight the fish. Not perfect but it works, maybe if we had a third person on board it would be better. For the smaller fish we fought it from the bow with a harness.
Want to add that my boat has the transom bracket and two of us lifted smaller fish over gunnel into boat.

I fish for tuna with a 28 pilot house. I have three 0 degree rod holders on each side and one in the bow. The bow is definitely the easiest place to fight a fish but have landed plenty from the cockpit. I usually try to keep the fish off the side and towards the bow when fighting from the cockpit. Plenty of times line has run along the hull up towards the bow without parting it off. Get it in the prop and not good. Moving the rod to the bow isn’t bad. Slack the drag and do a one hand carry. Obviously a safety line attached. That’s with a reel easy rod and 130 reel. It’s always a learning process. You’ll figure it out as you go. Landed the one in the pic from the bow yesterday. 87”.

Attachments

• D5B3BC81-63EF-41B1-9C53-93673F7C084F.jpeg
    D5B3BC81-63EF-41B1-9C53-93673F7C084F.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 118
  • 89ECEE96-35FB-46D7-B1F8-1B84BE50C57B.jpeg
    89ECEE96-35FB-46D7-B1F8-1B84BE50C57B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • 5F89E11A-3D88-4C9F-A616-9B2DABA45846.jpeg
    5F89E11A-3D88-4C9F-A616-9B2DABA45846.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 131
  • 8D94FFF4-749B-4ECD-8D81-481122AF2054.jpeg
    8D94FFF4-749B-4ECD-8D81-481122AF2054.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 143
I fish for tuna with a 28 pilot house. I have three 0 degree rod holders on each side and one in the bow. The bow is definitely the easiest place to fight a fish but have landed plenty from the cockpit. I usually try to keep the fish off the side and towards the bow when fighting from the cockpit. Plenty of times line has run along the hull up towards the bow without parting it off. Get it in the prop and not good. Moving the rod to the bow isn’t bad. Slack the drag and do a one hand carry. Obviously a safety line attached. That’s with a reel easy rod and 130 reel. It’s always a learning process. You’ll figure it out as you go. Landed the one in the pic from the bow yesterday. 87”.
Sweet!!!
That's quite the unique bow mounted rod holder. Haven't seen anything like that before. Is that something you made? Kinda looks like a seat pedestal??

Congrats on the tuna! That would be the fish-of-a-lifetime for me!

That bow mounted rod holder is pretty sweet, I also want to know if you had it made or is there a company that produces them.

That bow mounted rod holder is pretty sweet, I also want to know if you had it made or is there a company that produces them.

I put it together myself with a seat pedestal base. I had a friend weld a plate to the top. We fought a fish up there for 6 hours last weekend with the drag we’ll over strike—it’s rugged. There’s a bolt that runs through at the base and a small set screw in the side to snug everything up. There’s a guy with a similar rig at my yard that’s a lot fancier—pics below.

Attachments

• C8442111-8CA2-4762-A780-BA3757A6AC7E.jpeg
    C8442111-8CA2-4762-A780-BA3757A6AC7E.jpeg
    991.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 86561446-B0C1-43CA-8B73-96EA66E2772F.jpeg
    86561446-B0C1-43CA-8B73-96EA66E2772F.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 80
Back