2320 sl shopping

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hap

Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading this site for the past week or so and finally joined this morning. I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2320 sl this off season. I live in Northeast N.J. and fish Raritan Bay/ N.Y. waters. I have a few questions in regards to options. When purchasing new should I have the dealer install a second helm? Is it really necessary on a 2320? Livewells? Dealer installed or purchase one on my own and install it myself? Power 200 225 250? Yamaha of course. Trim tabs upgrade, or are the originals sufficient? I'll probably have numerous questions in the near future, thank you in advance for your cooperation. You truly are a family member when you purchase a Parker!

Hap from N.J.

Welcome Hap!

The 2320 is close enough in size and style to the 2520 that I feel confident in saying a 2nd steering station on that boat would be a wonderful addition. It really depends on what type of fishing you do. I would not be happy without it. I have a bulkhead mounted 2nd station.... it think it can be done at the factory or by the dealer.

The question of power: I believe the consesus here will be to go ahead and get the 250.

Trim Tabs: The stock tabs work OK... bigger tabs will work better (I'm in the process of upgrading to bigger tabs as I believe what others are saying that bigger tabs will make a world of difference.... esp in rougher water)

Later,

Richard

notch transom or full transon? Like the idea of the fish boxes, even though they aren't fully insulated! Are the gunnels sufficient enough for a person over 6' to rest their thighs on? I think they are only approx. 24" is that comfortable for a taller "crew"? Thanks again for your cooperation. Hap from N.J.

There are many opinions on the notched vs. bracket. I'm a bracket man and wouldn't want it any other way. The full transom fish box works well for me despite the fact it is not insulated. I think the full transom gives a little extra fishing space and cleaner area for the the feet.....

Definitely a raw water washdown.

I don't know if the 2320 has the same height gunwale as the 2520. Others will have to comment on the 2320... the 2520 is about perfect for me at 6'1"

Richard

Hap-

If you boat will be kept at a marina, you might want to look into the size slip that the full transom boat with bracket will require. Might need a bigger slip depending on your marina, which might result in higher docking fees. Just something to consider.

Personally, I like having my outboard on the transom just for it being that much closer and being able to "fish" around it. Another aspect that I like is being able to access the outboard from in the boat - not from out on the bracket. Just a little safer in case you need to access the engine or titlt up to unwrap something from the propeller in a rough sea. No offense to the full bracket guys. Just $0.02. Either one is a great boat.

CCparker":286y9v10 said:
Hap-

If you boat will be kept at a marina, you might want to look into the size slip that the full transom boat with bracket will require. Might need a bigger slip depending on your marina, which might result in higher docking fees. Just something to consider.

Personally, I like having my outboard on the transom just for it being that much closer and being able to "fish" around it. Another aspect that I like is being able to access the outboard from in the boat - not from out on the bracket. Just a little safer in case you need to access the engine or titlt up to unwrap something from the propeller in a rough sea. No offense to the full bracket guys. Just $0.02. Either one is a great boat.

No offense taken....

As far as getting to the prop I bet I can get closer to mine standing on the bracket! :lol:

I'm with CCParker and prefer a notch for fishability reasons. We have a 30" optional transom and it is (in my opinion) the best of both worlds - the height is almost as high as a full transom and have never had a drop of water come in the transom even when anchored in bad wind against the tide situations. That's what is nice about a Parker - they give you options to best fit your needs/preferences!

The Atlantic City Boat Show is coming up at the end of the month. Is Parker represented at this show?

Hap":4ohzvddf said:
I have enjoyed reading this site for the past week or so and finally joined this morning. I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2320 sl this off season. I live in Northeast N.J. and fish Raritan Bay/ N.Y. waters. I have a few questions in regards to options. When purchasing new should I have the dealer install a second helm? Is it really necessary on a 2320? Livewells? Dealer installed or purchase one on my own and install it myself? Power 200 225 250? Yamaha of course. Trim tabs upgrade, or are the originals sufficient? I'll probably have numerous questions in the near future, thank you in advance for your cooperation. You truly are a family member when you purchase a Parker!

Hap from N.J.

I have an '06 2320SL, maybe I can help you out a bit.

I didn't go for the second helm. Didn't think I would use it enough to justify the cost. That option is really up to you to decide.

As far as livewells, I installed a Kodiak PF-26 tank. I wasn't too crazy about having a livewell permanetely installed smack in the center of the deck. I can take my Kodiak on and off the boat anytime I like. It was a project to install it though.

Power; I wouldn't recommend anything besides the F250. I think it's the perfect combination. My fuel mileage is great, and the boat performs flawlessly. It's not that much more money to upgrade now ($2K-$3K), but if decide in a year or two that the boat feels underpowered, it'll cost you an arm and a leg to swap motors. Do it now and save yourself the headache. Test drive one boat with an F200, and another with an F250. The F225 is not worth it IMO, because for $1K more you can just get the F250.

I feel like my OEM trim tabs are fine, but a lot of people do upgrade them. I would leave them alone and see how you feel about them after a few months of use.

Good luck.

Dom

Hap":48d71d4v said:
The Atlantic City Boat Show is coming up at the end of the month. Is Parker represented at this show?

Parker has been there every year I had been there.... Steiger and May-craft as well. The 2320sl is a great boat. I would go with the second station while negotiating the cost of the boat. Whether you troll of fish around structure, it would be a great option to not have to run in the wheel house to redirect the boat.... I wish I had one! As far as livewells go, I wouldnt get the factory one from parker. first of all it is rectangular second of all it eats into the big cockpit even whe n you arent using it. Go with a portable one that you can remove when not in use.. a guy at my marina uses one of these for spot and it works well:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults

I cannot really comment on the trim tabs other than to say if you wet slip you may want to have trim tabs added after you purchase your boat. Unfortunately parker only rigs with Lencos and they have a reputation of failing when wet slipped. Do a search on THT of lencos for evidence.

Go for the bracket. transom storage and full transom make the boat even bigger ;)

Good luck. It is a great boat..

Get the 250hp, believe me i got a 23dvsc with a 200hp and kick myself for not getting the 250hp.

B-Faithful":36jmv1jr said:
Hap":36jmv1jr said:

Parker has been there every year I had been there.... Steiger and May-craft as well. The 2320sl is a great boat. I would go with the second station while negotiating the cost of the boat. Whether you troll of fish around structure, it would be a great option to not have to run in the wheel house to redirect the boat.... I wish I had one! As far as livewells go, I wouldnt get the factory one from parker. first of all it is rectangular second of all it eats into the big cockpit even whe n you arent using it. Go with a portable one that you can remove when not in use.. a guy at my marina uses one of these for spot and it works well:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults

I cannot really comment on the trim tabs other than to say if you wet slip you may want to have trim tabs added after you purchase your boat. Unfortunately parker only rigs with Lencos and they have a reputation of failing when wet slipped. Do a search on THT of lencos for evidence.

Go for the bracket. transom storage and full transom make the boat even bigger Besides, it is great not to have the kids hanging round an open transom.

Good luck. It is a great boat..

Thanks for the input fellas. Can't wait til the boat show!

Great choice on the portable livewell. I have the same one. 30 gal. Good for bunker. I hook up my washdown pump to an angled inlet I added to the well, keeps the water flowing in a circular manner. installed a drain several inches below the top to drain overboard. keeps water exchanged all the time. No extra pump/electricity, etc. Can also use the pump that I purchased with the well and use it when gathering bait before the trip.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend the A.C. boat show. Does anyone have a "ballpark" price on the 2320 SC, with the W.C. bow rail, pulpit, windlass, etc... I e-mailed a Parker dealer in S.W. Jersey and they told me I would have to talk with the dealer in Point Pleasant since they are closer to me. Is Parker that territorial? Or can I buy a leftover from any dealer?

Hap, I'd like to hear whatever intel you can find on new 23SC pricing, and hoping to see some good relpies to your last post. I've got the same thread going on this forum, same situation as you.

Back