23SE forward bulkhead hatch

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a 2019 23SE. Has anyone installed an access hatch in the forward above deck bulkhead where the anchor locker is? Thanks

I'm guessing you need more access to straighten out your anchor rode?

Just do it. :) But make it BIG.....within reason. In my long running build.....I cut it and molded a large bubble with a hatch....This made the anchor locker capacity larger to hold 600ft.

I'm guessing you need more access to straighten out your anchor rode?

Just do it. :) But make it BIG.....within reason. In my long running build.....I cut it and molded a large bubble with a hatch....This made the anchor locker capacity larger to hold 600ft.
Thanks, thinking it would make it easier to install/access a windlass, or when I out on a trolling motor to put the batteries in there.

Thanks, thinking it would make it easier to install/access a windlass, or when I out on a trolling motor to put the batteries in there.
Are you thinking about installing a hatch on the forward vertical bulkhead that forms the back of the anchor locker? Or in the cap that forms the top of the anchor locker?

The cap of my 17 has a reinforcing stiffener running athwartships in the middle, right where you would put a hatch. I'm not sure I want to cut that and risk compromising the structure of the cap, so I'm having a rhombus-shaped hatch custom built to install in the bulkhead to maximize access that way.

Are you thinking about installing a hatch on the forward vertical bulkhead that forms the back of the anchor locker? Or in the cap that forms the top of the anchor locker?

The cap of my 17 has a reinforcing stiffener running athwartships in the middle, right where you would put a hatch. I'm not sure I want to cut that and risk compromising the structure of the cap, so I'm having a rhombus-shaped hatch custom built to install in the bulkhead to maximize access that way.
Thanks for the reply. The vertical bulkhead. If you would please post pictures of the hatch you are installing.

New hatch is installed! I'm very pleased with it.

Here's what I started with:
Anchor Hatch4.jpeg

The opening of the hatch was just too small to be useful. An anchor of the size needed to hold the boat wouldn't fit through it. So I wanted something to maximize the width of the opening. A larger rectangular hatch would likely have been cheaper, but would probably have only opened up the clearance by a couple inches overall due to the width at the bottom. So, I decided to go with a rhombus-shaped custom hatch from Boat Outfitters.

Cutout for the new hatch, with cut edges sealed and screw holes overdrilled and filled with epoxy. You can see the width of the original cutout as the white area at the bottom edge:
Anchor Hatch3.jpeg

New hatch installed:
Anchor Hatch2.jpeg

Much bigger opening and much better access!
Anchor Hatch1.jpeg

Overall I'm very happy with it. The hatch is extremely well made and has high-quality components. I will say that Boat Outfitters is VERY proud of their products, but the quality in this case is worth the expense. This was a custom build, which was more expensive, but they were very responsive and easy to work with throughout the process.

View attachment 25906

The opening of the hatch was just too small to be useful. An anchor of the size needed to hold the boat wouldn't fit through it. So I wanted something to maximize the width of the opening. A larger rectangular hatch would likely have been cheaper, but would probably have only opened up the clearance by a couple inches overall due to the width at the bottom. So, I decided to go with a rhombus-shaped custom hatch from Boat Outfitters.

Cutout for the new hatch, with cut edges sealed and screw holes overdrilled and filled with epoxy. You can see the width of the original cutout as the white area at the bottom edge:
View attachment 25907

New hatch installed:
View attachment 25908

View attachment 25909

Overall I'm very happy with it. The hatch is extremely well made and has high-quality components. I will say that Boat Outfitters is VERY proud of their products, but the quality in this case is worth the expense. This was a custom build, which was more expensive, but they were very responsive and easy to work with throughout the process.

Looks great. What are the dimensions of the opening?

View attachment 25906

View attachment 25907

New hatch installed:
View attachment 25908

View attachment 25909

Man that is nice! if you dont mind what did it cost? What are O.A. dimensions and opening dimensions. Thanks!

Man that is nice! if you dont mind what did it cost? What are O.A. dimensions and opening dimensions. Thanks!

Bob, as I said it was expensive. I didn't mind the cost since it was a custom build to my specs, and it was funded by COVID work quarantine dollars :LOL:. The final cost for the piece was just shy of $400. However, it was done in a "premium" color (fish white) to match the rest of my trim, has the locking hasp that is keyed to match other latches on the boat, and the bulb seal around the door, all of which added to the cost of the order.

I probably could have found a cheaper vendor with a bit of shopping around, but this was part of a bigger order from Boat Outfitters. I also trust their quality and customer support. So to me it was worth the cost.

Mistahlee, the opening is 17" at the bottom, 23" at the top, and 10.5" high. The outside dimensions are 19" at the bottom, 27" at the top, and 13" high.

God bless this website!

I was just thinking of doing the same thing to my 21SE, just to gain some additional storage for a few odds and ends like fenders and dock lines. Nice to see/know my concerns around compromising the structural integrity of the bulkhead isn't an issue.

Was also thinking of trying to use the bilge area for some storage as well. Am I safe in assuming there is no issue in screwing into the forward bulkhead in that area as well? Planning on a few plastic "caddies" just for fishing weights and some other odds and ends that can stand to get wet.

Is there any reason that it would be unwise to store stuff in the bilge?

Thanks!

God bless this website!

I was just thinking of doing the same thing to my 21SE, just to gain some additional storage for a few odds and ends like fenders and dock lines. Nice to see/know my concerns around compromising the structural integrity of the bulkhead isn't an issue.

Was also thinking of trying to use the bilge area for some storage as well. Am I safe in assuming there is no issue in screwing into the forward bulkhead in that area as well? Planning on a few plastic "caddies" just for fishing weights and some other odds and ends that can stand to get wet.

Is there any reason that it would be unwise to store stuff in the bilge?

Thanks!
As long as things are secured so that they will not move around, you'll be fine. And I mean SECURED: remember, you've got fuel lines, possibly fuel filters, pumps, electrical components, through hulls, plumbing, and all sorts of stuff that you don't want getting bashed up down there.

Also remember that all those bulkheads down there are plywood cored, so you'll definitely want to properly seal the fastener holes with a plug of epoxy to prevent water intrusion into the stringers. Doing that on a vertical bulkhead can be a bit of a trick.

Back