23SE vs 2110 deep Vee for Bluewater

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Esteemed fellow Parker owners,
I have a 2110 deep vee walk around which can pretty much get me home safe and sound in most anything the Cheaspeake bay can dish out. I have some buddy's with 23SE's that fish in the ocean. I have been reluctant to take my 21 out in the ocean. Is a 21 too short for the ocean or does the deep vee running bottom make up for the 2' of missing boat length compared to the 23SE?

Eminent Brother (been waiting for a good opportunity to say that!!);

Your 2110 will be fine in the ocean. Obviously, you need to pick your days, but I would not hesitate for a moment under good conditions. Or said another way, if it is too rough to go on your 21, it is too rough for me to go on a 23 - of any flavor.

I have fished many a day in a 17' Whaler Montauk up to 10 miles offshore - again these were beautiful days where the water was nearly slick.

You can get in just as much trouble on the Ches. Bay as you can on the big pond. If you are unsure, find a buddy boat and go for it.

Catch 'em up!!

fishinwuf":fkaoarpl said:
You can get in just as much trouble on the Ches. Bay as you can on the big pond.

True words Graymug... :wink:

I haven't been on a 23SE, and I'm just slightly biased, but I'd take the 21DV over a 23 or 25 Mod-V. I think you might be surprised what your boat can handle.

-- Tom

the 21 Pilot is on my fathers short list for offshore use to 20 fathoms as he looks for a new ride in the next year or so. Very seaworthy 21' boat

Esteemed fellow Parker owners:
I've had my 21 out in the worst of what the Chesapeake Bay can offer and it always got me back to the barn. It's been dicey at times but I do have a level of confidence dealing with my neck of the Chesapeake. The Ocean City, Maryland inlet can be flat enougth for tin boats to drift and can be as scary and evil :evil: as a bad nightmare. But maybe I'LL give it a try. But not today (Friday) cause right now it's blowing 24 knots. Sort of ruined my plans to go fishing today. :(

TomS":1uqfu8w4 said:
I haven't been on a 23SE, and I'm just slightly biased, but I'd take the 21DV over a 23 or 25 Mod-V.
As an owner of a 25' mod-V sport cabin, I'd agree with Tom, that 21' deep-V is one capable boat! Combines a reasonable deep-V deadrise with the heft and strength that Parker hulls are noted for.

I'm jealous ... makes me wish the "empty" hull that I had bought and refurbished was a deep-V ;( !

I am sure Graybeard would be fine in his 21 DV on any reasonable day in the ocean at reasonable distances.

I did it is the Parker 18', and 21 SE. The 23 SE is also a very capable boat. I fish Martha's Vineyard, Montauk, Sandy Hook, CBBT, Virginia Beach, Oregon Inlet and Cape Lookout each year in my 23 SE. It provides a great platform for light tackle and fly fishing. It is extremely stable on drift, which is mostly what I do. You do have to have good rain gear, slow down and use the tabs when things get nasty.

A good friend has a 23 Seacraft DV we also use in the same areas. It will run faster in rough water than my 23 SE but is not nearly as stable when drifting. Also the raised platform in the bow turns the 23' boat into a 3' boat when it is rough because no one wants to stand up on the raised platform and for good reason. My friend is thinking of putting a leaning post in the bow which would help. Right now if there are three guys in the boat, all of them are fishing in the stern when it is rough. No one is in the bow.

fishinwuf":2oxqadrh said:
Eminent Brother (been waiting for a good opportunity to say that!!);

Your 2110 will be fine in the ocean...You can get in just as much trouble on the Ches. Bay as you can on the big pond. If you are unsure, find a buddy boat and go for it.

Catch 'em up!!

Buddy boat--good advice.

Greymug,

Your 21 should be fine running out of OC on most days. I run my 21 dvcc on occasion out of IRI DE and in the Delaware bay which is much nastier than my homeport on the cheaspeake (tide/depths). I can recall running one day out of Lewes DE to the Old Grounds where I had to beat 15 miles straight into a 4' sea blowin 20 25 out of the SSE . My brother took the ferry over from Cape may to meet me at the launch ramp so we were going if you know what I mean. We pushed through this stuff at 17 knots and the bow down which kept the boat in the water at all times. I felt safe above all having this boat beneath me. My brother runs a larger 23 CC and couldn't believe how well the boat rode in that slop. The trim tabs on this boat make all the difference in the world. Do you have tabs on your boat?

Esteemed fellow parker owners,
Thanks for all the encouragement. On the Tidal Fish message board, on which I am a member, I always check out Wild Bill's ocean fishing threads and I want to do the same. And I'll be on the lookout for a new 21DV-CC around while fishing around the Bay Bridge. On Friday I'll be fishing the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power plant discharge and it's a 12 mile run from the closest ramp. I use all 21 feet and 21 degrees of deadrise on my boat to get there and back on a snotty day. Which most days have been lately

Back