23SE with 150hp engine

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fphillips

Reaction score
I have been offered a new 2007 23SE,however it is fitted with a 150hp engine. The attributes according to the dealer are lighter weight, better balance, better fuel economy and less cost. Most of the time the boat will carry no more than two people and will have no other options over the standard boat. I would like to hear your opinions as to whether you believe this is adequate power.

I had a 23SE with a 200 HPDI. Great boat and motor. We also normally had only 2 in the boat. I would not want any less HP. The 21 is rigged with a 150.

fphillips":qkivob80 said:
I have been offered a new 2007 23SE,however it is fitted with a 150hp engine.

Can you tell us which 150 it is rigged with?

I have run a 2001 23 SE for the past 5 years with a Yamaha 200-hp HPDI. It seems like a good match for the boat. I know of others who are using 225-hp 4 strokes. I think the newer 23 SE hull weighs about 100 lbs more than mine does so power may be even more important

I would be concerned about dropping too low on your horsepower. You may put more strain on the engine by running it at higher rpms to achieve the same speed as you would with a 200-hp on the transom. And there may be some day when you really need to beat a storm back to your dock too.

My 2001 Parker catalog lists 175, 200, and 225-hp motors as the recommended ones. The current Parker website recommends the 200-hp or 225-hp 4-stroke.

If you consider the Parker to be a long-term investment, I would encourage you to spend a little extra and get at least 200-hp, either in HPDI or 4-stroke.

Thanks for your replies. It is a 4-stroke. I realize that the minimum recommendation from Parker is the 200 so I e-mailed Parker to ask if they thought it would be underpowered with a 150. They did not answer the question directly but did send performance data for both engines mounted on a 23SE. The data appeared very similar with exactly the same top speed of 44.5 mph although the 200 was pushing 700 more pounds due to carrying more fuel and passengers

If Parker recommends 200 as the minimum, then why would they let one leave the factory with a 150? Was this a special order by a previous purchaser, who backed out? If it were me, I'd go with the F-225.

For what its worth, I've seen some new 2007 23 SE's being delivered around here with the 150 4 stroke, so it seems like more than just a one-off leaving the factory. I had the 21SE with the carbed 150, and now have the 23SE with F-200. On a heavy sea, or on a rough inlet approach, I don't know how well the 150 would treat you on the 23.

I have a 21SE with a 150 HP 2C and it's a really good combination.
I'd think a 23SE with the 4C 150 would not be the way to go. The 150 4C in an inline 4 cylinder that only weighs 9 lbs. less than the 200 HPDI so there is no weight savings there. I'd certanly want one of the 6 cyl models to get the extra torque available. My vote would be the 200 HPDI for that boat.

Just went thur this same dilemna......I just ordered my new 07 23 Parker 23SE with 225 Yamaha 4 stroke...after talkng to a few dealers the 150 is just a "price point" to keep cost down...if you are a fair weather fisherman who only fishes bay waters (On good days) than i think you would be fine with a 150....but if your nuts like me and have no boundaries than you need to go at least t a minimum of 200...in my opinion...... :)

Jumbo1":2m0b84dn said:
...but if your nuts like me and have no boundaries than you need to go at least t a minimum of 200...in my opinion...... :)

And that's why Jamie ordered her with a 225! :lol:

Congratulations on the 23 !
BTW - Did Brian buy your 21SE?

After receiving performance data from Parker comparing the 150 and 200 on a 23SE that showed very similar performance; talking to a guide who claims he was instrumental in recommending to Parker that they offer this combination and who spends over 180 days guiding on the Chesapeake including the CBBT and who also claims the boat will get on plane within its boat length with the 150; knowing the salesman I worked with has the same set-up; less wt./better balance; better fuel consumption and less cost I bought the 23SE with a 150 engine.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Esteemed Fellow Parker Owners,
The local light tackle guides around here that run a 23SE are all going to 150 hp 4-strokes. They say the 150 4-stroke gets much better economy and they only lose a couple MPH at WOT, which they don't do that much anyway. So I have seen more then a few 23SE's rigged thay way

I must admit that I was surprised when I saw Capt. Richie Gaines' 2006 at a recent fishing show. It was a 23 SE with hard top powered by a 150-hp 4-stroke. I have Capt. Richie's 2001 boat -- a 23 SE with no top and a 200-hp HPDI. If he says it is sufficient power, I would believe him.

J.A. Veil":3klfsceb said:
I must admit that I was surprised when I saw Capt. Richie Gaines' 2006 at a recent fishing show. It was a 23 SE with hard top powered by a 150-hp 4-stroke. I have Capt. Richie's 2001 boat -- a 23 SE with no top and a 200-hp HPDI. If he says it is sufficient power, I would believe him.

Capt Gaines does have the spectrum pretty well covered John.

In addition to his 23 SE, he also operates a 2520 MVSC which he brought to the 2006 ClassicParker Annapolis Rendezvous.

Image-CBA121302B2A11DB.jpg

Back