2510 Re-Power - Twin Yamaha 150 Four Strokes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gerg: 2MPG is about right from everything I read. 3 guys and gear is certainly a real world situation.

I can get 2MPG with my 2520DV w/Yamaha 250hp Ox66, light load, perfect seas, but load it down with 3 guys, lots of gear and hit heavy slamming seas, and it will drop quickly to about 1.3mpg.

I once got 1.7mpg with 3 guys, heavy gear, on an offshore trip, but again, the seas were dead calm.

John

Looks good Gerg! About the new console, did you use the old console as a template and make a new one, purchase a new console from Parker, or reuse the old unit. Where is the compass located? I had to mount my new gps/plotter behind the throttles and was not thrilled with this location. I would have preferred to flush mount it but was unable. Thanks

gerg,

Are you sure you're propped right? I get 39-40 mph at WOT (5,600 rpm) with twin F-115s with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and 2-3 guys and fishing gear.

I would think that twin F-150 (supposedly they actually crank out 155-165 hp) with a total of 70 more hp would take that boat to 42-44 mph.

What is your gph burn rate at your "sweetspot" cruise speed? I have never figured why folks report mpg, when gph is a more useable figure. I've never bothered to calculate mph. On top of that, all my electronics are set for knots, so miles has no meaning to me.

Porkchunker":2pe24bhf said:
gerg,

I have never figured why folks report mpg, when gph is a more useable figure. I've never bothered to calculate mph. On top of that, all my electronics are set for knots, so miles has no meaning to me.

Here is why I believe that mpg is a much better measure of economy: for demonstration purposes let me exagerate a bit.........

Using gallons per hour only Thurston Howell III takes his Chris Craft out and perfers to cruise at 20 mph because his fuel monitor tells him he uses 10 gallons per hour (since gas is now up to 37 cents a gallon he is trying to save money)

The Professor has an identical boat (on board is Mary Ann in those little shorts and knotted in the front shirt). They are both travelling the same route to get to a deserted island nearby to have lunch on the beach. The Professer wants to get there first so he can score some private time...... but he knows he only has barely enough gas to get there and back. It's an 80 mile round trip and he had Gilligan fuel his boat that morning (little does he know that Gilligan siphoned off gas from Mr. Howell's boat and now they both have the same amount of fuel..... )

So both boats have 38 gallons of fuel............38!

As the professor matches his speed to Thurstons boat he sees that he is only getting 2 mpg and realizes he will never make it there and back if he doesn't do something to improve his economy. He increases his speed slowly and finds that at 24 mph he can get 2.2 mpg (as he speeds up Thurston and Lovey laugh at the foolishness of wasting gas.....Thurston tells Lovey "why at the speed he must be burning 10.9 gallons every hour......"

So at the higher rate of speed the Professer and Mary arrive at the island 24 minutes sooner that the Howell's..... they have time for a nooner and a swim........ They all have luch together and it is quite a good time for all.

On the way back in they travel at their respective speeds.... however.... 4 miles short of the dock the Howell's run out of gas...... the Professer and Mary Ann are already back at the dock (and at it again I might add)

A big storm that was on the horizon is now making its way over the Howell's. Gilligan finds the skipper and tells him the Howell's are now overdue... and they go out to find the Howells.... but alas.... just as they spot them a giant water spout comes down out of the sky and tosses the Howells into the water into the clutches of hungry sharks......

Back to reality...... by usinngj my Navman set on mpg I can tweak my speed and trim to get better gas mileage..... I cannot calculate fast enough when looking at speed and gph to know what is the best economy......

OK..... so I'm wasting way too much time...

Be safe this holiday....

Richard

Richard, that's patently ridiculous. Everyone knows the professor only had wood for Ginger.

Ok, so use nmpg instead of mpg.

Btw, last Saturday we did about an ~160 naut mile offshore run, and used about 110 gallons; but about 110 of those miles were in 3-4 foot rollers. We were banging our way out against a head sea and into a 15 knot breeze. Coming back was a little more gentile but we had the braking effect of sledding down a wave and running into the next one to deal with. More comfortable, but not a lot more efficient.

So even in cruddy conditions, I'm doing really well on fuel. Didn't catch dinner, but you can't have everything.

You must teach navigation for the USCGA or USPS. :D :D :D

Leave OC with 126 gal of fuel, put cross-hair of GPS on Baltimore Canyon, punch "Go To Cursor," come up to cruising speed, readout says 3 hours, 30 minutes, Yami fuel flow meter says 9.0 gph, in head calculate 31 gal to get there (add 5 gal for slop), upon arrival at Baltimore Canyon, write down fuel consumption, fish all day watching fuel consumption to ensure you have 36 gal to get home plus 36 gal spare, subtract fuel consumption from 126 gal, put cross-hair on OC inlet and repeat the drill. GOOD TO GO!!!! :D :D :D

This is math I can do in my head. :D :D :D

Oh...if GPS fails, pull out hand-held GPS and go fishing!!!! :D :D :D

And that is good......

My overall point is with that mpg readout and information you can tweak your trim and speed throughout the day to increase your mileage and save fuel/money.

Back