2520 autopilot compass location

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_k

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve been doing some searching and haven’t found anything clear so figured I’d check here…

I purchased a 2014 2520 a few months ago and love it so far. I’m in the process of upgrading the electronics and have already installed a new Simrad NSS evo3s and halo 20+ radar.

Next up is the autopilot. I’ve already purchased the Simrad AP44 with precision 9 compass. Where is everyone mounting the compass?

The lower and most forward you can the better. That being said it can’t be within 2’-3’ of any large ferrous metal or electrical equipment. You should use a hand compass to check out any possible locations you are looking to use to see if there is any magnetic interference. As with all things on boats it is a compromise. I mounted my Garmin CCU under the deck of the pilot house on the bulk head that separates the pilot house from the berth as low as possible after I moved the bilge pump as far aft as I could. I was able to calibrate the CCU to 82%.

Thanks. I don’t have a hatch to access that area. I’ll do some more digging and come up with something.

Do you have a fwd bilge pump?
Not that I can find. There is a switch on the panel for one but it doesn’t appear to be attached to anything. It’s wired but I can’t find where the wires lead and there is no sound when I flip it.

Hi guys, I’ve been doing some searching and haven’t found anything clear so figured I’d check here…

I purchased a 2014 2520 a few months ago and love it so far. I’m in the process of upgrading the electronics and have already installed a new Simrad NSS evo3s and halo 20+ radar.

Next up is the autopilot. I’ve already purchased the Simrad AP44 with precision 9 compass. Where is everyone mounting the compass?
My autopilot compass is mounted inside the starboard side v-berth storage compartment.

You can mount it anyplace that you like as long as it's at least 3ft away from any battery, speaker, amp, other compass, any other magnetic material including pumps of any type.

If you have a question if a given location is acceptable, simply take a hand-held compass to that location. Hold it steady and watch the needle as you move around the boat. If you get to the desired location and the compass starts to charge cardinal direction, that's probably not a good location.

You can mount it anyplace that you like as long as it's at least 3ft away from any battery, speaker, amp, other compass, any other magnetic material including pumps of any type.

If you have a question if a given location is acceptable, simply take a hand-held compass to that location. Hold it steady and watch the needle as you move around the boat. If you get to the desired location and the compass starts to charge cardinal direction, that's probably not a good location.
In the bilge is not a good place

Back