2520 battery management

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wart,
I will hook the 2 positive leads from each engine to the B lug on the bep.
I have Noco genius 2 bank charger. Currently each positive lead goes to each battery. How should I hook this up to the bep?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leave it like it is. But unless you have weak batteries or the boat sits around for months at a time....They will not need to be charged. The BEP does a good job of keep them topped off when in use.

One note:...IF.....you have one of those stupid ALL-IN-ONE bilge pumps. All bets are off. I yank them and throw them away.

They suck your batteries down while sitting on the trailer.

Thanks,
I wouldn't trust an auto pump in my truck LOL. I have a Rule 1500 with separate float switch, and will be adding another 1500 with float this winter.
And my boat never sits around. I use it almost daily as a commercial fisherman.

So where would I hook the power lead to my electrodyne hauler? It pulls about 50-65 amps.
To the BEP?
Direct to the start battery?

albiejunkie":2v5y2vxj said:
I have a Rule 1500 with separate float switch, and will be adding another 1500 with float this winter.

When you do, consider replacing that mercury float switch with an electronic Water Witch model 101.
https://waterwitchinc.com/product/model ... ge-switch/

No parts to get stuck or wear out.
Here are a pair of 1500 gph Rules with Water Witch 101's.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.jpg
    IMG_4494.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 378
albiejunkie":2mnfy61z said:
Yeah Kevin,
I was looking at your install on another thread.
Nice idea.
What is under the aluminum sheet?

A Water Witch High Water Alarm sensor.

The summer that I installed it, we had two nor`easters and water leaking thru the hatch and dripping on the sensor set it off. :(
The aluminum 'hat' kept the water off, and no more false alarms. :wink:

Attachments

• DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 139
Megabyte, I have to ask. When will you be back? Have you considered another Parker purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albiejunkie":2an5m25d said:
Thanks,
I wouldn't trust an auto pump in my truck LOL. I have a Rule 1500 with separate float switch, and will be adding another 1500 with float this winter.

So where would I hook the power lead to my electrodyne hauler? It pulls about 50-65 amps.
To the BEP?

You could do that. This is kinda..specialty. What I would do is.

Proper size wire. ON/OFF switch for that circuit. Circuit breaker of proper size and yes hook to Start Battery.

That is exactly how I have my windless. Pretty much the same thing.

mheltunen":2yijqkti said:
Megabyte, I have to ask. When will you be back? Have you considered another Parker purchase?

When, I do not know... but when the time is right I will most likely downsize into a trailerable 1801.

OK, new question.
Right now I have 2 Group 29 DC batteries in the boat. They are 1.5 years old.
At some point (next winter) I may want to set it up with 3 batteries, depending on how it goes this year.

My question is: If I install BEP 716 cluster now, can I set up my boat with the 3 batteries next year and still use this cluster? I'd hate to have to buy another.
Or, could a 3 bank cluster (717, 718) be used now and a battery added to the system later?

Thanks all!

I didn’t read back on this thread but I thought you were going to run a pot puller or some other larger house side draw? Anyway, IMO, you could stick with the 716 and if you add another (3rd battery), you could run 2 battery’s (we will call house side) in Parallel. If you run 2 house in Parallel like this, they need to be the same brand size specs...and maybe same age but not so sure about that? I must defer to Wart myself on this but I think that would work based on where I see you set up going?

warthog5":3qbg2a9i said:
albiejunkie":3qbg2a9i said:
Thanks,

To the BEP?

You could do that. This is kinda..specialty. What I would do is.

Proper size wire. ON/OFF switch for that circuit. Circuit breaker of proper size and yes hook to Start Battery.

That is exactly how I have my windless. Pretty much the same thing.

Wart, my next add might be a Windless. I was thinking that I would need to/be best to connect it to that big 200AH AGM house in my bilge? Curious why the start or is my situation different with the large house?
TKS

I believe the thinking is that when you're operating these items (windless, hauler, etc.) , the main engine will be running already, charging that start battery that you're using. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the BEP cluster will send power to the start battery first automatically.

albiejunkie":3hkjvl55 said:
I believe the thinking is that when you're operating these items (windless, hauler, etc.) , the main engine will be running already, charging that start battery that you're using. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the BEP cluster will send power to the start battery first automatically.

The BEP will indeed send the charge to the start first then to the house if the start is charged and the house needs charging. That’s why I was thinking the heavy draw would be maybe better on my large house battery? The BEP will send the charge wherever it’s needed.

Here's what I'm thinking now. Adding a new group 27 cranking battery to the existing system and wiring it with the 716 bep cluster. Making the 2 group 29's as the house.
What do you all think?
d2b323e6e50daac4f73e09776630d721.jpg

warthog5":3by8uzmz said:
Yes.....That will work.....I'd put a ON/OFF switch in on that Hauler line....

Thanks so much Warthog. I've been back and forth on this for a while.
Yes, I forgot to add the hauler switch, but definitely gonna use one.
I'm gonna order the 716 cluster then and begin the install.

This site is great!

Thanks to all!

Back