2520 battery management

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal preference, but I don't like the deep cycle batteries in parallel. I'll try to get a picture of my setup for you. Basically when I installed the cluster, I kept the original battery switch to use as a selector for the deep cycle in use. That way they are charged and maintained individually.

Never heard anything wrong with deep cycle in parallel. Doesn’t putting the old manual selector switch between the BEP and the house bank defeat the purpose of/main benefit of the BEP being set and forget?

Where you 2- Gp29 House batteries are.....I have a D4 Deep cycle. That is equal to 2 1/2 - gp27's.

So there is a option also....However....You will have to build a custom battery tray..for the D4....I couldn't find any and did not like the way the D4 fit in the battery box that was speced for it. I built mine from angle stainless.

warthog5":baxcj0gu said:
Where you 2- Gp29 House batteries are.....I have a D4 Deep cycle. That is equal to 2 1/2 - gp27's.

So there is a option also....However....You will have to build a custom battery tray..for the D4....I couldn't find any and did not like the way the D4 fit in the battery box that was speced for it. I built mine from angle stainless.

Would a 8d fit? Any benefit to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warthog5":1h57zy8e said:

Any recommendations for a D4? I’m going to change my house battery setup this season and I may go this route

Thanks for the link. Due to some of my electronics upgrades I want the security of a larger battery. I confess I have a bit of sticker shock though

The interstate has a more appealing price point. Considering I’m planning on mounting it inside the pilothouse an AGM may be a better option.

shawnee83":1xzp8w4v said:
Never heard anything wrong with deep cycle in parallel. Doesn’t putting the old manual selector switch between the BEP and the house bank defeat the purpose of/main benefit of the BEP being set and forget?

I'm no expert but I have had zero issues with my setup. The deep cycles are isolated so that they are charged and consumed individually, I can use the old switch to put them in parallel, but have never had a need to do so. I didn't want the situation where one of the batteries could effect the other in regards to charging and available juice, I wanted it configured so that I have a spare house battery. I stay overnight, am running things constantly, and didn't want a situation where I'm out of house juice, and need to run the motor. When I have to switch to my spare, it's as simple as going from 1 to 2 on the older switch. FYI - I also carry a Honda generator that plugs right into my shore power connection, so I'm at very little risk out there, I can charge if needed without my motor.

Regarding the set and forget, it works perfectly. My starting battery was new in 2014, and I haven't had a single issue, and it isn't connected to my charger. The way the BEP works, it is completely protected and properly charged 100% of the time. Although it is likely time for a new one.

Ludicrous40":2vhkuunn said:
shawnee83":2vhkuunn said:

I'm no expert but I have had zero issues with my setup. The deep cycles are isolated so that they are charged and consumed individually, I can use the old switch to put them in parallel, but have never had a need to do so. I didn't want the situation where one of the batteries could effect the other in regards to charging and available juice, I wanted it configured so that I have a spare house battery. I stay overnight, am running things constantly, and didn't want a situation where I'm out of house juice, and need to run the motor. When I have to switch to my spare, it's as simple as going from 1 to 2 on the older switch. FYI - I also carry a Honda generator that plugs right into my shore power connection, so I'm at very little risk out there, I can charge if needed without my motor.

Regarding the set and forget, it works perfectly. My starting battery was new in 2014, and I haven't had a single issue, and it isn't connected to my charger. The way the BEP works, it is completely protected and properly charged 100% of the time. Although it is likely time for a new one.

I like your thought process. The idea of having a spare is appealing to me as well.

Just finished re-rigging the 716 cluster I got in the mail yesterday. Ready for install. I'm waiting on an Interstate Gr27 starting battery, and for it to get a little warmer around here!
536afbb4122092aa2015aeb0022cc15b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I see nothing wrong with having an extra battery switch to isolate the 2 house batteries vs. having them just permanently wired in parallel. It’s just that you are back to having to remember to manage the house side manually between bat 1 and bat 2 and making sure that they both get some love/use and charge vs. just letting the BEP manage it like it’s designed to do. But if that works for you, then it’s all good and certainly proper. It does have the advantage of the 2 house battery’s being isolated in the event of a battery failure taking out both house? To me, the start battery is the only one that is that critical. If your 2 house batteries draw down, you can start the motor and that’s all that really matters safety wise. Post some pics when your done. You will love the functionality of the BEP, very cool addition.

albiejunkie Good job........I take all the connections apart while there and add a skim coat of diaelectric grease to the terminals and buss bars.

Thanks Warthog5. Yes, if you look close I already added dielectric grease to everything metal.
Got outside today (its sunny and a balmy 38) and planned the layout. I think i'm gonna put a large Buss bar between the house loads from the BEP to the House breakers, I have 3 of them.
Should look neater and easier to install.

Here is my final draft.
Ludicrous, is this how you have yours?
Going to start the install this weekend...
f484e68d2a2337adade68014a0784119.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dang...That's hard on my eyes to read.

So Why 2 50A House circuits?

It's not on the drawing.....But you do now.......the GND's are all tied together on all batteries.....Right?

Yes, I believe that is how my setup is wired. I'm pretty sure the two 50Amp breakers are there because they came with the boat. I have two positive house wires that go from the bilge to the helm. Each has its' own 50A breaker in the bilge.

warthog5":25wggjwf said:
Dang...That's hard on my eyes to read.

So Why 2 50A House circuits?

It's not on the drawing.....But you do now.......the GND's are all tied together on all batteries.....Right?

Sorry for the picture quality.

Warthog5, if you refer back to page 1 of this thread, you will see 3 50 Amp breakers in the photo. 2 of them are for Positive Buss bars under my helm. The other one is for...? Haven't figured it out yet. Looks added after the fact.
I do have a windlass, but there is a dash mounted breaker there already. Is it possible there are 2? I'll know when I install the batteries.

And yes, I forgot to add the jumper between the 2 Negative Buss bars in the lower part of the diagram. Nice heads-up! :D

Back