2520 DVSC Inboard Re-power (winter project)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inboard Parker

Reaction score
Earlier this summer we found that our inboard Parker had motor problems. (As stated in my 'Hello all" post).
We have finally gotten the motor out of the boat. The motor has been ready to come out (or so we thought) for a while now, we were just waiting for the crane who takes our floats out of the water to show up (Nov 4) and we were going to use him as well. We got the motor out on the same day but had one issue. We had taken all the bell housing bolts off except we missed one. This boat has a top mounted starter that is mounted directly to the bell housing and faces away from the motor (completely opposite of a normal starter). Unknowing to us, there is another bolt that is buried on the inside of the hole that the starter went into. When we took the starter off we never noticed (or even thought to look) inside the there. Live and learn. We ended up breaking off a triangle piece of the aluminum bellhousing. Nothing a quick trip to the welder couldn’t fix but none the less......aggravating!
Beyond that, everything went very smoothly. All the bolts came out with no effort what so ever. I was surprised how easily it came apart seeing how it’s a 1993.
The motor now sits in my garage on an engine stand and we are waiting for after the holidays to buy the new motor (maybe Santa will bring it for me....... Yeah right!!) Once we get the new motor we will switch everything that needs to be switched over and install in the spring. We plan to changing over as much as possible in the garage to make our life easier when we put it back in.

Porkchunker mentioned seeing the boat with the motor out of it so I snapped a couple quick pics with the phone (sorry for the low quality) The fuel tanks run on each side of the engine compartment.

Attachments

• motor compartment 1.jpeg
    motor compartment 1.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 427
  • motor compartment 2.jpeg
    motor compartment 2.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 427
  • motor compartment 3.jpeg
    motor compartment 3.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 427
I, too am suprised the bellhousing bolts came out so easy. Did they have anti-sieze on them?

Is the prop in a "prop-pocket"?

FishFactory":2kohqm2w said:
I, too am suprised the bellhousing bolts came out so easy. Did they have anti-sieze on them?

Is the prop in a "prop-pocket"?

I didnt notice any anti-sieze on the bolts. None of the bolts gave me a problem. Amazing.

And...Yes there is a pocket for the prop to sit in. Im assuming that you noticed it in the picture of the engin box??

We hit the boat show today and one of the objectives were to find a motor for the boat. We have somebody locally that can get us a re-manufactured but we were looking to check all our options.
Not 100% yet but we think we are going to go with a New motor. We have seen them from Barr, Crusader, and GM. They are complete motors less the exhaust manafolds, risers, alt, and raw water pump. They tell us the HP will be around 325 that is a great jump over the 250 our original 5.7 had.
Looking forward to gettting this project under way. We will have to play with the propping a bit but that shouldnt be too bad.

Just curious if you had considered a switch to diesel power?

I understand it wouldn't be quite the bolt-in that a 5.7 would be, but if it were mine, I'd be severely tempted!
That hull would be a perfect candidate. :)

Good luck with the project, and thanks for the update! 8)

Megabyte":2xzh5638 said:
Just curious if you had considered a switch to diesel power?

I understand it wouldn't be quite the bolt-in that a 5.7 would be, but if it were mine, I'd be severely tempted!
That hull would be a perfect candidate. :)

Good luck with the project, and thanks for the update! 8)

Yes we have..........But its cost prohibitive to do so. A new crate motor from GM (or crusader/barr) will cost about $3500.00-4000.00....we do the work installiing. Call it $5000.00 with extras and for the sake of argument. We had asked a few others and tell us we are looking at over $20,000 to repower with a diesel, that was in conversation and nothing had been quoted.
We dont burn a lot of fuel with the 5.7.........our average is around 7-8 GPH. How much fuel would I have to burn in order to make that up?
ALthough............it would be cool! lol

The diesel would be cool indeed... but I agree.

You are burning less fuel at cruise than I am with my outboard.
My burn is about 13 gph @ 4200 rpms making ~24 kts.

You'd never make up the difference in cost through fuel savings.

You may be able to find a left-over 2006 Yahmar 240HP at a very good price. In 2007 they were required to change significantly for US import. Yanmar will contine making the 4LHA-STZP but not for the US market where starting in 2007 all diesels must be electronically controlled.

I just repowered my 1998 2530DV extended cabin with this engine and a Bravo X Two for $21K for the engine and drive. I am going on a sea-trial today but the mechanic already ran the boat and said cruising speed is better than 20kts and should be around 5-6gph.

Sounds like a nice setup but....not in the budget for us. We are also running a straight inboard (v-drive) which would make us lose a few MPH over the outdrive.
We pulled the plug last week and received the new 325HP Vortec "power pack". Looks great sitting in the garage.......just need to do some swapping over (alt, wiring, raw water pump...etc). The cost on the new motor was $3500.00 and it came with pretty much everything other than the things ive mentioned plus the exhaust manifolds and risers.

We have been down on power for some years now and im not sure of the speeds we will see out of it. "Knot Many" has the same boat with a 7.4 (which is a 310hp motor) and runs in the mid 20's so im figuring close to the same numbers. We will see. Our fuel burn has been around 8gh on average and im told that the Vortec motor is more fuel efficient. Time will tell.

hey inboard, would you mind posting a few pics of the boat overall? im curious to see wht the whole thing would look like, cockpit, pilothouse, etc. its a straight inboard, correct? ive seen I/Os, but never a straight inboard in a parker! this i gotta see. if youve got a spare second :)

Pelagic... also do a board search for CP member Knot Many.
He has a big-block powered inboard you might like to see.

Knot Many attended the Annapolis Rendezvous last year, so I know there are a few photos there that I took.

For an indirect omparison, I have a 5.7L I/O Volvo in a 2530, and I burn about 13 gph at about 25 mph, measured with a Navman flowmeter.

Dana

pelagic2530":27xpsj2c said:
hey inboard, would you mind posting a few pics of the boat overall? im curious to see wht the whole thing would look like, cockpit, pilothouse, etc. its a straight inboard, correct? ive seen I/Os, but never a straight inboard in a parker! this i gotta see. if youve got a spare second :)

Here is the link with both boats (Knot Many and ours). http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=900

Almost ready to go in. I only have a couple more things to get done (little wiring, bellhousing, flywheel) and its ready to go in. We are putting it in this saturday. Hopefully it will go smooth.
Took a couple of pics of it sitting on engine stand.

Attachments

• Camera 030.JPG
    Camera 030.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Camera 032.JPG
    Camera 032.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 279
  • Camera 031.JPG
    Camera 031.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 279
All you need now is Tim the Toolman in the background muttering, Powwwwerrrrr!!!

IT'S IN!!!! :D
AND........Running! :D :D :D

Saturday went as planned.........actually better. We got it back in the boat just before 1pm and after lunch had it running by 5pm. All hoses, exhaust, wiring completed and she came back to life! Motor sounds great......smooth. Still needs to have a final timing and carb adjustments but even without doing that it still sounded very smooth.

Next step........ Find the right prop. Ive been in contact with H&H propeller (MA) and going to contact AccuTech Propeller (NH). They both have calculators to determine prop size. There is a couple of things im not 100% on and was hoping that somebody here might have some insight.
1. What is the LWL of a 2520 DVSC?
2. What is the actual deadrise of the DV? (my thoughts are 20 or 21 degrees)
3. The Beam is 9'6".........right?
4. Weight?.......I think id be looking for just hull weight and i can add in the extras. The Inboard is not a common boat so my guess is there wont be many people who know actual weights.

The prop step is easy as we will go with what the experts suggest.

Here is a couple of pics installed.

Attachments

• P4030102.JPG
    P4030102.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 258
  • P4030103.JPG
    P4030103.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 258
  • P4030105.JPG
    P4030105.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 258
She looks beautiful! Good luck with the new rig.

What prop were you running with the old motor? The place that repowered my boat did one just like yours last year. I will ask what prop they went with.

BlueSky":16drn9mp said:
She looks beautiful! Good luck with the new rig.

What prop were you running with the old motor? The place that repowered my boat did one just like yours last year. I will ask what prop they went with.

We were running a 15x13. Im not sure if that will still work but we will see. The RPM and HP are both up with this motor so my initial thoughts are that we will need to re-prop. HP is up to (325@crank) 300@prop at 5000rpm and the old motor was 250hp@4200-4400rpm's.
If you could find out what prop they went with that would be great. Thanks.

Inboard Parker":b9o94f0a said:
1. What is the LWL of a 2520 DVSC?
2. What is the actual deadrise of the DV? (my thoughts are 20 or 21 degrees)
3. The Beam is 9'6".........right?
4. Weight?.......I think id be looking for just hull weight and i can add in the extras. The Inboard is not a common boat so my guess is there wont be many people who know actual weights.

1.) Parker measures their boats from the stem to the transom (and does not include the pulpit or engine bracket), so figuring the wetted length could be done by measuring from the point of the bow rearward to the water line, and subtracting from 25' 4".
My boat is still in winter storage, but I would guess it is at least 23' of wetted length, but that would have to be verified with a tape measure.

2.) The deadrise of the DV hull is 21 degrees, and the draft is listed as 17". Loaded it may be more like 19" (for wetted area calculation purposes).
http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_d ... ?boatid=16

3.) Correct on the beam - 9' 6"

4.) "Dry weight" of the current XLD (full transom with a bracket) is 5800 pounds.

For fuel... figure 6.5 lbs/gal, and don't underestimate the weight of all your safety, survival, and fishing gear. That weight adds up fast. :shock:

Also remember to figure your crew weight. 4 guys with food, drink, ice, and gear for the day can approach 1000 pounds all by itself.

I would bet that most well equipped 2520's could easilly weigh 8000 lbs (probably more).

Good luck with the repower! Let us know some performance figures once you break her in, and sort out what wheel you want to run.
That new power sure does look sweet from the photos you posted. :wink:

Thanks for the replies

I have also contacted Parker as well. They asked for the specific hull # so maybe i will get some more info as well.
I did measure the water line today and it looked to be right around 22'. As soon as i get all my info together i will talk with the prop companies and see what they have to say.
I did use two online prop calculators and they came up with a bit different results. I have a feeling we will be doing some testing of props before this is over.

Back