2520 ENGINE OPTIONS

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimatejay

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2520xld, that is the deep V.
I'm having trouble deciding between a single 300 vs twin 200's. I have done many searches here and on other forums and everyone has conflicting information. Some people say the single 300 works great and some say it won't even plane. I dont get why there is so much variance between people?
Boat will be used for inshore and a lot of offshore ocean fishing only. I'm not going crazy with any heavy loads. No huge double tuna tower and this and that. I want rear station and it will have a 65-70 gallon center oval bait tank in the middle of the deck. I know a lot of threads with are older threads and motor technology has come a long way. I'm leaning towards a single 300 as I'm not looking for run and gun high speed numbers. Very rarely can I go over 30mph in sea conditions and I'm in no hurry.
Single I think is a little more fuel efficient and lower cost on maintenance and also a lot of people dont factor in fuel consumption while idling and slow trolling. A single engine should consume less fuel at idle vs twins right? Anyways, do you guys think the single 300 will suffice or twins is a must have? Any experience with newer engines?
Thanks

A 2520 XLD is a beautiful boat. There are a lot of things to unpack here that I will leave to guys who own 2520’s. I’ll address a couple. You can troll on one motor. There is nothing worse than an under powered boat!! Power is not only about speed. There are several guys on here that seem to love the 300. If you want to do a lot of offshore and can afford twin 200’s, then IMO, do that. Overall better performance may also be the best fuel economy? Twins or single 300, only the 2520 guys can answer that part.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2520xld, that is the deep V.
I'm having trouble deciding between a single 300 vs twin 200's. I have done many searches here and on other forums and everyone has conflicting information. Some people say the single 300 works great and some say it won't even plane. I dont get why there is so much variance between people?
Boat will be used for inshore and a lot of offshore ocean fishing only. I'm not going crazy with any heavy loads. No huge double tuna tower and this and that. I want rear station and it will have a 65-70 gallon center oval bait tank in the middle of the deck. I know a lot of threads with are older threads and motor technology has come a long way. I'm leaning towards a single 300 as I'm not looking for run and gun high speed numbers. Very rarely can I go over 30mph in sea conditions and I'm in no hurry.
Single I think is a little more fuel efficient and lower cost on maintenance and also a lot of people dont factor in fuel consumption while idling and slow trolling. A single engine should consume less fuel at idle vs twins right? Anyways, do you guys think the single 300 will suffice or twins is a must have? Any experience with newer engines?
Thanks
Hi UltimatJay, Welcome to ClassicParker! I'm sure a lot of CP folks will chime in to help with information about engine choice. Many will give all the great reasons to have a single 300, and many will provide good, sound reasons to go with the twin 200's. They will all be right! ☺
Here's my 2-cents. We're in our 5th year with our 2013/2014 2520 XLD with a single 2014 Yamaha 300. The single Yamaha has been a great fit for us and our 2520 XLD. (If interested, I have over 50 videos posted on Youtube showing our Parker in a wide variety of sea conditions, speeds, fuel economy, etc). In short, on average (considering wind/sea-conditions/current/ load) we cruise around 30-32 mph at 4300-4400 rpm getting 2.0-2.2 mpg. The main reason I prefer the single 300 is, after owning a wide variety of boats and engines since the 1960's, all have been singles (32 years of that with single Diesels). I prefer well-maintaining one engine, and I don't need two for maneuverability. I don't want the added cost of buying two engines, and I don't want the trouble and cost of maintaining two engines. With that said, if I had to make a second choice of engines, twin 200's or twin 250's would be my second choice..... There is a line of thought that two engines are safer for off shore runs, and I understand the reasoning behind that, but (is there always a 'Butt'? ☺), new, modern engines are super-reliable, and most 'engine' problems are fuel-related. Both engines are using the same fuel from the same tank, so the number of engines is not an issue when it comes to the #1 cause of 'engine problems'. (the fuel)....

Last edited:
Hi UltimatJay, Welcome to ClassicParker! I'm sure a lot of CP folks will chime in to help with information about engine choice. Many will give all the great reasons to have a single 300, and many will provide good, sound reasons to go with the twin 200's. They will all be right! ☺
Here's my 2-cents. We're in our 5th year with our 2013/2014 2520 XLD with a single 2014 Yamaha 300. The single Yamaha has been a great fit for us and our 2520 XLD. (If interested, I have over 50 videos posted on Youtube showing our Parker in a wide variety of sea conditions, speeds, fuel economy, etc). In short, on average (considering wind/sea-conditions/current/ load) we cruise around 30-32 mph at 4300-4400 rpm getting 2.0-2.2 mpg. The main reason I prefer the single 300 is, after owning a wide variety of boats and engines since the 1960's, all have been singles (32 years of that with single Diesels). I prefer well-maintaining one engine, and I don't need two for maneuverability. I don't need the added cost of buying two engines, and I don't want/need the trouble and cost of maintaining two engines. With that said, if I had to make a second choice of engines, twin 200's or twin 250's would be my second choice..... There is a line of thought that two engines are safer for off shore runs, and I understand the reasoning behind that, but (is there always a 'Butt'? ☺), new, modern engines are super-reliable, and most 'engine' problems are fuel-related. Both engines are using the same fuel from the same tank, so the number of engines is not an issue when it comes to the #1 cause of 'engine problems'. (the fuel)....
Thanks for the reply guys. The XLD is the deep v and the Xl is the Modified v? Also on the Parker website it only shows XLD’s with 21 dead rise. Did Parker quit making the Mod V?

Thanks for the reply guys. The XLD is the deep v and the Xl is the Modified v? Also on the Parker website it only shows XLD’s with 21 dead rise. Did Parker quit making the Mod V?
Yes, the "D" in XLD stands for "Deep-V", and yes, it is a 21 degree deadrise... And yes, the XL was (is?) the Modified V.... I don't know if the new Parker company has discontinued the Modified V.

While my boat is a 2320 with Yamaha 300 and not a 25’.

I would like to add some thoughts to the topic.

With the size of bait tank you plan on installing that will be 600 pounds of seawater when full.

Also, your drinks, gear, and what ever else you bring about it starts adding up fast.

Not too mention if you bring a large load of ice for your catch and wack some big blue fins 😀your boat will get heavy real quick.

Oh ya and are your friends large like mine? 😂

The dry weight between the 25 and 28 is 600 pounds difference 🧐 it’s a big 25’ boat.
Good luck!

I have a 25XLD with a single 300. It’s sufficient for the in shore / near shore fishing i do. I like the simplicity and maintenance of the single. If you’re running off shore, go for the twins. Full of fuel, that tank you’re doing, gear, you’ll be glad. The single 300 is good enough, and it works for me, but offshore, you’ll want the twin 200’s for sure.

Twins are your answer for offshore. Not just for the horsepower, but for the redundancy. If you smack into a log and spin a prop or roast a lower unit, you have a way home other than on the end of a tow rope. Redundancy is king offshore.

People will doubtlessly disagree with me but for the modern XLD hull, 300hp is on the very low end of the horsepower spectrum. Especially if you’re going to be running offshore with heavy loads, including that big bait tank, ice, gear, and a couple of guys, you’ll want more than the minimum. My ‘95 hull has twin 150s with four blade props and I would not want any less horsepower; the newer 2520 XLDs are a bigger heavier beast.

Last edited:
Thanks
I’m a 200+ hour a year owner of a 2520SL. I have owned the boat since 2005 that originally came with a Yamaha F225. I repowered with a 2019 Suzuki DF300APXX. I fish offshore and inshore. My offshore trips are sometimes 60+ miles off of the New England Coast. My boat is adequately powered for everything EXCEPT on those rare days when it’s very calm. Doesn’t happen often but occasionally I wish I had a higher cruise speed. Most days conditions limit speed but when it’s flat calm, it would be nice to get up there in the high 30s-40ish. I can’t do that on the single.

Yesterday I did my 3rd oil change of the season, I was glad that I only had to do it on one engine. I have a box of parts (water pump, thermostats etc etc) that I’ll be replacing on my engine in early December when I haul for the season, I’m glad that I only have 1 engine to do.

It’s a trade off single/twins. Performance across the spectrum is going to be better with twins and IMO better redundancy. Conversely your costs are also up across the board and if you spin your own wrenches x2 the work.

If $$ is of no concern then it’s an easy choice TWINS. If you want to save a few bucks and are willing to sacrifice a little less performance and perhaps a bit of redundancy, a single 300 is a totally adequate pick…..

Twins are your answer for offshore. Not just for the horsepower, but for the redundancy. If you smack into a log and spin a prop or roast a lower unit, you have a way home other than on the end of a tow rope. Redundancy is king offshore.

People will doubtlessly disagree with me but for the modern XLD hull, 300hp is on the very low end of the horsepower spectrum. Especially if you’re going to be running offshore with heavy loads, including that big bait tank, I’ve, gear, and a couple of guys, you’ll want more than the minimum. My ‘95 hull has twin 150s with four blade props and I would not want any less horsepower; the newer 2520 XLDs are a bigger heavier beast.

I have a Parker 2520 XLD with twin f-200's I run a little heavy and had problems with propping engines, f-200's have the speed no issue there, but I find the torque on them engines, not to my liking, you have to get the revs up..finally I went to Prop Gods ( very helpful ) and ended up with Mercury Enertia 15x15 props, whole lot better out of the hole and I never lost speed, 5900 rpms work great... with the factory Yamaha's 14 /12x 18's 5200..boat is heavy...I tried but Parker wouldn't do it ..I ordered new...I wanted the v6 -f250's. those engines would be the perfect match, great low end torque and you wouldn't need to run them hard. Boat is rated for 500 hp..they put 300's on the 28 same boat just 3 ft longer ..and to be honest I'm still looking at that option ?

I have a Parker 2520 XLD with twin f-200's I run a little heavy and had problems with propping engines, f-200's have the speed no issue there, but I find the torque on them engines, not to my liking, you have to get the revs up..finally I went to Prop Gods ( very helpful ) and ended up with Mercury Enertia 15x15 props, whole lot better out of the hole and I never lost speed, 5900 rpms work great... with the factory Yamaha's 14 /12x 18's 5200..boat is heavy...I tried but Parker wouldn't do it ..I ordered new...I wanted the v6 -f250's. those engines would be the perfect match, great low end torque and you wouldn't need to run them hard. Boat is rated for 500 hp..they put 300's on the 28 same boat just 3 ft longer ..and to be honest I'm still looking at that option ?
What is your average miles per gallon with the 200's?

Has anyone tried the bigger single engine like the Suzuki dual prop 350?
I've ridden on a few 2520 XLDs with the Suzuki DP 350 and it is a great setup - perfect power in my opinion and DP is just awesome out of the hole.
I have a 2013 2520 XLD now and had the Yamaha F300 that was a good engine but it took a while to get on plane and in a decent following sea was a bit sketchy to me. I just finished re-powering with a Yamaha F350 V8 and man, what a difference, all the torque in the world - it planes very quick now and I can cruise at my old top speed (38 mph) - the prop on the 350 is massive and effortlessly moves this big boat. (Note: the 350 is taboo on 2520s: the Armstrong bracket is rated for only 300hp and the 350 has some serious haters due to past crank issues - so I know it's a choice that a lot of folks will disagree with - but I did my research and everyone has to make the best decision for themselves).
For what you're looking to do, I'd go with twin 200s on a new 2520 - that is a great engine and will give you many years of reliable service if properly maintained.

Attachments

• 20221003_182857.jpg
    20221003_182857.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I've ridden on a few 2520 XLDs with the Suzuki DP 350 and it is a great setup - perfect power in my opinion and DP is just awesome out of the hole.
I have a 2013 2520 XLD now and had the Yamaha F300 that was a good engine but it took a while to get on plane and in a decent following sea was a bit sketchy to me. I just finished re-powering with a Yamaha F350 V8 and man, what a difference, all the torque in the world - it planes very quick now and I can cruise at my old top speed (38 mph) - the prop on the 350 is massive and effortlessly moves this big boat. (Note: the 350 is taboo on 2520s: the Armstrong bracket is rated for only 300hp and the 350 has some serious haters due to past crank issues - so I know it's a choice that a lot of folks will disagree with - but I did my research and everyone has to make the best decision for themselves).
For what you're looking to do, I'd go with twin 200s on a new 2520 - that is a great engine and will give you many years of reliable service if properly maintained.
What is your mpg with the 350?

The Yamaha gauge said consumption at 5000 rpm (that's just when I happened to check it) was around 17.1 gph - that's not too far off from the 300's consumption according to this performance report:
https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/...-4f01-9fa5-c54ba175bb82/pdf/Asset80500_v1.pdfI will say this: the 350 on the 2520 absolutely flies, it comes up on plane effortlessly and cruises at a much lower rpm (like 700 lower than the 300). At 4500rpm with the 300 I was cruising at 32, at 3800 with the 350 I'm doing the same speed and on plane nicely. Top speed was 38 and now is close to (and probably over) 50 mph.

Fishing offshore in a smaller boat I’ve learned to appreciate running a boat with max horse power.

While it’s true you don’t if ever run wide open throttle.

There are other points to consider.

When it’s rough and the wind starts to blow hard. You’ll appreciate being able to work the throttle in big seas and not have to worry about getting back up on plane because she’s heavy and it takes a long time to get on plane.

In a head sea, slow down to get over a big swell, then speed back up.

In a following sea, have power to punch through the slop or to ride up on the back of one.

Same applies to running bars and inlets, if she heavy and your coming in you’ll be able to maintain position between the swells easier with more power.

While fuel economy should be part of the discussion. Equally the overall performance of the boat should be discussed.

Some may say, I don’t plan on going out when it’s rough. Well the weather man gets it wrong too.

Just my .02 cents.

Comparatively I’ve been doing this a short time compared to some. But my above statement's reflect my current perspective running my 2320 offshore the last 6 years.

Back