2520 Underpowered with Twin 150's?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I value and appreciate any feedback from anyone. Looking at purchasing a 2021 2520 XLD with twin 150 yamahas on it. After reading many threads about underpower, any thoughts?

Many Thanks,

Jim

Hi Folks, I value and appreciate any feedback from anyone. Looking at purchasing a 2021 2520 XLD with twin 150 yamahas on it. After reading many threads about underpower, any thoughts?

Many Thanks,

Jim
Hi Bigyin33, Here some thoughts as requested.... By the way, for comparison, we too have a 2520 XLD, but a 2013 model, with a single, 2014 300 Yamaha.
The 300 Yamaha has been good for our use. (and I prefer to maintain a single engine). Top end 44 mph. Nice cruise 'sweet-spot', around 30 mph. And, is fast enough 'out-of-the hole' to plane,
A lot of CP'ers have twin 150's and they too are very happy with the performance, and often mention that here on CP. (I'm sure some will chime in).
With twin 150's you have same HP as the single 300 (see how good I am at math! 150 + 150 = 300! ☺), but have a bit more weight on the back end. (good or bad?)....
With twin's you have some 'back-up/ get-home' power/redundancy. (But a lot of 'engine issues' are fuel related; in those cases both engines would have the same issue).
A lot of folks here on CP will remind us that Nobody wished they had less power; to a degree, more is always better. If I were to have something other than a single 300, I would not mind having twin 200's. (but then I double the cost and the time maintaining two engines).... there is always a trade-off.

Bigyin33,

I have a 2019 2520 XLD with twin 200's and as Andy stated above I have never wished for less horsepower. My performance pretty well matches what is shown on Yamaha's performance Bulletin. One thing to consider is the 150 and 200 weigh the same and will require the same maintenence, so if springing for twins, why not get more ponies? I will try to post the bulletin for you when I get to my computer.

Cap'n Dan

We have twin 150s on an XL 16 degree deadrise. They are fine for that hull.

I would think a DV would need a bit more power especially if twins since you have more weight on the back and more drag in the water.

My opinion would be twin 200s for the DV or the single 300

I have a 2015 2510 Walkaround XLD with twin 150's. I honestly can say that I find that the power is more than sufficient for my use. At the time, I didn't want to add additional weight to the stern with the 200's, and the 150's are a real 'workhorse'!

I have 2000 2520 SC with Twin Yamaha 150’s. It does the trick for me and the yamahas have been bullet proof, but I would go with 200’s if I had a choice. With a full load it can be slow to plane....I will be putting this boat up for sale after 15 years of service. Great boat

Guys, thank you all, i pulled the trigger on the current set up on the boat, twin 150's. Should be in the water in May, i'll share when that happens, thanks all.

JB

We have twin 150s on an XL 16 degree deadrise. They are fine for that hull.

I would think a DV would need a bit more power especially if twins since you have more weight on the back and more drag in the water.

My opinion would be twin 200s for the DV or the single 300
Hey got em on. What kind of fuel/speed numbers are you seeing with your setup?

Back