2520 XL - Boat Lift

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have this model on a lift? I'm curious about where the bunks are set? Width between them, forward and aft.View attachment 29285
Hi Baker, I went out to the lift to get a measurement, but will have to send the measurements later today. (I couldn't reach them with my tape measure)... One deciding factor will be to make sure they are as far apart as possible, but are not spaced too far apart, where the keel hits the main I-beam. I can tell by your picture that your bunks are much closer together than ours are (and we have the 2520 Deep-V)... I'll get you some measurements as soon as I can today. (Maybe someone will be quicker at the draw than me?)

Does anyone have this model on a lift? I'm curious about where the bunks are set? Width between them, forward and aft.View attachment 29285
Hi Baker, Ours are 32" apart, measured from the outside-edge-to-outside-edge of the aluminum bunks. Both fore and aft, as the bunks are parallel.... With your XL model, you would be able to space them farther apart.
Judging by how high our keel is from the perpendicular 'I-Beams' when it's on the lift, I could likely separate the bunks 2-3 more inches if I wanted to. But where they are now, the boat's 'strakes' fit nicely with them...
The 'forward' I-Beam is raised, to allow the boat to sit a bit 'bow-high' when it's on the lift; this helps drain water to the scuppers....

Last edited:
Hi Andy, thanks for the info. At least your numbers will give me a starting point. I didn't think of this before, but I should have asked if anyone has this model and a bunk trailer? It will be a few more weeks waiting for the electric. :rolleyes:

Hi Andy, thanks for the info. At least your numbers will give me a starting point. I didn't think of this before, but I should have asked if anyone has this model and a bunk trailer? It will be a few more weeks waiting for the electric. :rolleyes:
Hi Baker, I have a bunk trailer, but the bunks on the trailer are spaced much farther apart than the bunks on the boat-lift. This is possible because of how the trailer is made, (the thickness of the bunks, and the 'dips/recesses' on the trailers cross members). I'll get some measurement on the trailer bunks tomorrow, and post them here for comparison....

Hi Baker, I just now got a flashlight and went out to the boat trailer to measure the bunk separation. (to be honest, after you asked the question, it was driving me nuts not knowing the answer!☺).
The bunks on the trailer, measuring from the outside-to-outside of the bunks, are 60" / five-feet apart. They too are parallel, so they are 5 feet apart their entire length.
If the bunks on the boat lift were anywhere near this width of separation, the keel would scrape on the lifts I-beams. All of the trailers 'cross-members' have a 'dip' in the center, so the keel does not come close to hitting them....

Baker,

Just went down & measured my lift bunks. They are parallel & 52" inside to inside. That puts them about 2" inboard of trim tabs. I set mine @ 21° to match my deadrise (2520 XLD) and the forward end is set 1 1/2" higher than aft to ensure cockpit drains to scuppers. Spacing between cradle beams is about 10' 6" fore & aft. Bunks are double 2 x 12's, 15' long glued and bolted. Aft end of bunks extend about 18" beyond lift cradle beam. This set up works great & boat is very stable in lift.

Cap'n Dan
20210614_091609.jpg20210614_091935.jpg20210205_160536.jpg

Baker,

Just went down & measured my lift bunks. They are parallel & 52" inside to inside. That puts them about 2" inboard of trim tabs. I set mine @ 21° to match my deadrise (2520 XLD) and the forward end is set 1 1/2" higher than aft to ensure cockpit drains to scuppers. Spacing between cradle beams is about 10' 6" fore & aft. Bunks are double 2 x 12's, 15' long glued and bolted. Aft end of bunks extend about 18" beyond lift cradle beam. This set up works great & boat is very stable in lift.

Cap'n Dan
View attachment 29401View attachment 29402View attachment 29403
Hi Dan, I like how your bunks are 'cantered', to the angle of the hull... Ours are the aluminum bunks with a 'cantered' rubber pad on top. It's not possible to angle the bunk itself, but it seems to be 'close' to the right angle... I'm thinking about experimenting with moving our bunks out a few more inches. I think I have enough space to do so, without the keel hitting the I-beams....

Baker,

Cap'n Dan
View attachment 29401View attachment 29402View attachment 29403
Hi Dan, I meant to ask, is your 52" separation from the top, or the bottom of your bunks? And judging by your pictures, you still have plenty of space between your keel and the horizontal I-beam....
I don't mean to stick my nose where it's not invited, but it appears that your 'starboard' bunk has a split near the aft end of the 2X12 .... I would add a bolted-on 'mending-plate' to the split. (If you're still contemplating a run to NC this summer, stop by the house, I have galvanized plates and/or hardware that I'd be glad to give you that could use for that.... (but be way, I would want to video your Parker, and post it to my Parker/Youtube ! ☺)

Last edited:
Hi Dan, I meant to ask, is your 52" separation from the top, or the bottom of your bunks? And judging by your pictures, you still have plenty of space between your keel and the horizontal I-beam....
I don't mean to stick my nose where it's not invited, but it appears that your 'starboard' bunk has a split near the aft end of the 2X12 .... I would add a bolted-on 'mending-plate' to the split. (If you're still contemplating a run to NC this summer, stop by the house, I have galvanized plates and/or hardware that I'd be glad to give you that could use for that.... (but be ware. I would want to video your Parker, and post it to my Parker/Youtube ! ☺)
Andy,

The 52" of separation is at the top where the bunks contact the hull. Baker might could get by with 2 x 10's instead of 2 x 12's with the 16 degree deadrise on the XL model. Yeah, I knew I had that split when I out them together. I made sure that the other 2 x 12 was defect free in that area and thoroughly coated the mating surfaces down the entire length with heavy duty construction adhesive prior to bolting them together. That area is loaded in compression, so I feel pretty confident with how it turned out. Thanks for the offer on the hardware though. I just had longer brackets fabricated for the forward end of the bunks as the original was bolted too close to the bottom for my liking as shown here. The new brackets are 6" longer and extend nearly to the top and have 2 sets of bolts vice one.

Cap'n Dan

Lift2.jpg

My bunks are aluminum and are chamfered along the top edge (see picture). I didn't measure the angle but It appears to be around 15-20 degrees.

My thoughts on the bunk spacing are that they should match or be close to the stringer locations. Correct me if I'm wrong, or does it matter?

My bunks are aluminum and are chamfered along the top edge (see picture). I didn't measure the angle but It appears to be around 15-20 degrees.

My thoughts on the bunk spacing are that they should match or be close to the stringer locations. Correct me if I'm wrong, or does it matter?
Those were my thoughts too. (placed under the boats stringers). When our lift was installed (by the way, our first experience with owning a boat-lift) I thought the placement/separation of the bunks was critical. (like you mentioned; should be under the stringers). The guys who installed the lift said 'not so much an issue', and referenced bunk-style trailers, where boats are bounced down the highway; and referenced dry-stack fork-lifts, and dry-stack storage.... meaning they aren't stringer-specific for all the various boats.
He did mention;
1) you wanted to have them as far apart as possible, without the keel hitting the horizontal I-beam.
2) you wanted to make sure they were not resting on a through-hull fitting.
3) you wanted to make sure they were not resting on a through-hull transducer, if the boat was equipped with one.
Again, it is our first lift, so I'm just playing 'parrot' here! ☺

I wouldn't sweat getting the bunks directly under stringers as heavily as these boats are laid up. In my opinion it is more important to get the bunks as wide as possible while avoiding landing on thru hulls, 'ducers and trim tabs. Also avoiding getting the keel to close to the cross beams of the lift. For reference, here are a couple of pix of what the bottom hull section looks like.

Cap'n Dan
Bottom Hull Plug.JPGhull plug post.jpg

Back