2520 xld deck hatch replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you simply use some "simple green" to clean the gutter of the factory hatch. Remove the hatch, the screws, the gasket. Clean the gutter with solution. Dry, replace a NEW gasket and the factory hatch and new sealed screws. Thoughts?

has any body seen or installed 1 of these ?

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/pro...lum-19-25-x10--opening-2417.html#!prettyPhoto
sure would like a replacement that really seals for the battery area deck hatch, any other ideas ?

thanks.

One of the flaws of Parker boats (all boats have flaws, and Parker has very few) are the plastic deck hatches installed over the bilge access. These are rather large plastic covers. And they flex. And as they flex, the screw are slightly pulled and eventually the threads on the screw will "worm-out" the wood core making the hole bigger and allow water into the wood core. Eventually the wood will rot.

I've installed two of these commercial-grade aluminum deck hatches on my own Parker. Both are thru-bolted so there is no chance that the fastners will pull-out. The aluminum is monumentally stronger than the cheap plastic hatch and do not flex. And for the most part, the aluminum hatch does not leak water although I wouldn't put my lunch under the deck.

If you look past the pretty woman with the fishing pole, you'll see a Bomar aluminum deck hatch (blue in color) covering the bilge access. I think I have a 24" oval back there.

Attachments

• IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 96
As Goodchance notes the stock hatch MAYBE belongs on a vertical surface at best and maybe not at all. Mine is clean and in good shape but there just is no way the plastic can put the pressure on the o-ring required to seal properly in the real world. The hatch I linked above looks ok but never having seen one not so sure.

Watching this thread.. I've been thinking about installing one of these inside my cabin to open up a storage area there (perfect for dive gear, spearguns, and other stuff that can get damp)

One of the flaws of Parker boats (all boats have flaws, and Parker has very few) are the plastic deck hatches installed over the bilge access. These are rather large plastic covers. And they flex. And as they flex, the screw are slightly pulled and eventually the threads on the screw will "worm-out" the wood core making the hole bigger and allow water into the wood core. Eventually the wood will rot.

I've installed two of these commercial-grade aluminum deck hatches on my own Parker. Both are thru-bolted so there is no chance that the fastners will pull-out. The aluminum is monumentally stronger than the cheap plastic hatch and do not flex. And for the most part, the aluminum hatch does not leak water although I wouldn't put my lunch under the deck.

If you look past the pretty woman with the fishing pole, you'll see a Bomar aluminum deck hatch (blue in color) covering the bilge access. I think I have a 24" oval back there.
It looks like that Bomar aluminum hatch is round?.... Does anyone know if Bomar or anyone else makes an exact replacement for the the rectangular plastic ones on the Parkers? I'd like to replace every cockpit hatch and 'pie-plate' with something that I can trust will not leak. I don't have the time or inclination to replace a rotted deck or a corroded fuel tank; I'm running out of years!

It looks like that Bomar aluminum hatch is round?.... Does anyone know if Bomar or anyone else makes an exact replacement for the the rectangular plastic ones on the Parkers? I'd like to replace every cockpit hatch and 'pie-plate' with something that I can trust will not leak. I don't have the time or inclination to replace a rotted deck or a corroded fuel tank; I'm running out of years!

None of the aluminum hatch manufacturers will offer a direct "drop-in" replacment to the plastic hatches. There will be some deck cutting albeit minor.

Back