2530 Repower Options: F150s vs. F200?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the time has finally come. While preparing the boat to haul out for the winter, I noticed that the steering arm on the starboard engine had corroded to the point where the metal was thin enough to bend by hand. The port side isn’t far behind it. Reviewing parts diagrams shows that the engine needs to be essentially disassembled to replace this component; talking to the service techs at the local marina confirms this. For 25 year old outboards, a rebuild to the tune of $10k plus doesn’t make sense. They’ve been good motors, but it’s time for new ones. So the process begins.

My question for those that have gone through the repower process: my current engines are 150 Yamaha 2-strokes. The max hp rating for the boat is 400. I’m debating between Yamaha F150s and F200s. Specifically, I’m worried about losing power going from the 2-strokes to the 4-strokes, and ending up with less power if I replace with 150s. The difference between the two motors is about $6k, which while not astronomical could be put into the other systems on the boat that need updating.

Does anyone have any experience with making the 2 to 4-stroke swap, or any comparison between the F150 and F200 motors? Mostly trying to convince myself that I’m not going to be under-powering the boat with new F150s.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 9D0DA191-F6F3-47D5-B553-84B8A72D5AF9.jpeg
    9D0DA191-F6F3-47D5-B553-84B8A72D5AF9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Running a tough inlet, NObody ever said they wanted less power. Also, being able to plane at less throttle usually means better fuel mileage, and longer engine life.

Pelagic2530,

I have been extremely pleased with my twin F200's on my 2520 XLD. As stated above, for the same weight motors I would personally spring for the extra horsepower. I'm not sure of the weight of your boat, but the Yamaha Performance Spec sheet that I have for my set-up puts my boat fully rigged, full of fuel and 2 on board at around 8500# with an expected WOT top speed at just over 50 mph. My actual performance pretty closely matches the advertised numbers, with my top speed around 50.5 mph at just under 6k rpm's (and that is with bottom paint on her). Although I almost never run more than 3900 rpm's, I would rather have more power than needed rather than just enough or not enough.

Cap'n Dan

I'm running a 2520 with twin 200's and like Cap'n Dan, I usually set them at about 3900RPM and cruise at 30-32MPH. Running full throttle I can get them to 5600 RPM and up to about 48 MPH. Conditions almost never allow this.... Nice to see my numbers are pretty spot on with Cap'n Dan's setup.

I dont think the twin 150s would be as nice, but they would work.

The Big thing I like on your situation is you finally get to throw away those nasty...space hogging oil tanks.

I would go right past the Yamaha aisle ....straight to the Suzuki's.

Cheaper.......Quieter.......Swing a Bigger prop

Your going to replace those old controls and shift cables anyway.....Right?

Pelagic2530,

Is your boat a deep vee or modified vee? With a mod vee, the 150's may be OK, but I would still probably spring for the 200's, As far as a loss of power when going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke at the same hrsepower rating, here is my experience when I repowered nmy 1800. My 1990 1800 was originally powered with a 2-stroke 115 Mariner. The holeshot was not that great, so many years ago I added a Doelfin which helped tremendously. When I repowered in 2018 with a Mercury 115 4-stroke I used the old prop from the Mariner and was concerned that I would need to add some type of fin, but that was not the case - holeshot was as good or better than the 2-stroke with fin. Top speed is less than before, but I seemed to have plenty of power coming out of the hole.

Cap'n Dan

The Big thing I like on your situation is you finally get to throw away those nasty...space hogging oil tanks.

I would go right past the Yamaha aisle ....straight to the Suzuki's.

Cheaper.......Quieter.......Swing a Bigger prop

Your going to replace those old controls and shift cables anyway.....Right?
Wart, I completely agree with you on looking forward to getting rid of the oil tanks. Part of the project is a complete rework of the electrical system, and the new dedicated house battery/s will be going back there in their place. I was mulling over moving them forward, but I really don't want to give up the storage space in the pilothouse, so in the transom is where they'll continue to live.

Regarding the motors... we're going to stick with the Yamahas. I don't disagree with you on the benefits of the Zuks, but for various reasons, Yamaha works better for us. Plus, as I understand it, the benefits of the Suzukis are more pronounced in their higher horsepower range, whereas the mid range where I'm looking are pretty similar. At least that's what I've been able to ascertain.

Yes, all the systems will be replaced. Not super looking forward to having a boat payment after many years of ownership, but it's about time to put some money back into the old girl I suppose...

I'm running a 2520 with twin 200's and like Cap'n Dan, I usually set them at about 3900RPM and cruise at 30-32MPH. Running full throttle I can get them to 5600 RPM and up to about 48 MPH. Conditions almost never allow this.... Nice to see my numbers are pretty spot on with Cap'n Dan's setup.

I dont think the twin 150s would be as nice, but they would work.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking on how we tend to operate the boat, I can't remember the last time I was able to run above 25kts without beating the hell out of the boat and everything/everyone in it. So I'm not too concerned with getting a 50kt top end out of it; mostly just looking to ensure that the F150s aren't going to be total dogs compared to the 150 2-strokes we've had.

We run out of Indian River Inlet in DE which is known to be a bit sloppy on occasion. Can't say I've ever felt underpowered. So if the F150s can deliver the same real-world horsepower as my current motors, I think I'll probably be ok with them.

Has anyone running a DV 25 Parker with the F150s had a real-world scenario where they felt they needed more power?

My buddy put twin 150 yamaha's on his 2530 with a bracket on the back and could not be happier. He originally had a volvo diesel and just got tired of outdrive problems in the slip. He has a full tower up top with controls to. We usually cruise out around 25k due to swell and best ride. The only thing I wonder is if the 200's got better mpg since they will be working less rpm for the same speed. His 2530 has a lot smaller fuel tank then my 2520, I think around 50 gallon difference.

Pelagic,

Have you considered using Mercurys? When looking for my 2520, that was something I considered...finding an older hull in need of repower and have Gib hang a couple of Merc's on it. I think you used Gib for your 1700, right?

Cap'n Dan

Pelagic,

Have you considered using Mercurys? When looking for my 2520, that was something I considered...finding an older hull in need of repower and have Gib hang a couple of Merc's on it. I think you used Gib for your 1700, right?

Cap'n Dan
Cap'n Dan, I thought about the Mercs, but it's not really the direction that I want to go. Plus, the big boat is up in Delaware, so bringing it down to Nansemond Marine isn't really practical. The dealer support for Yamaha in my area is fantastic.

I own a 2013 2520 XLD with twin F200Xb's. Engines are great except if you keep your boat in a slip make sure your dock fuel is 89 octane or you'll be hauling gas down to the boat if the harbor will allow it. Yamaha tech's say the engines will knock if you use 87 and cause engine damage.

Back