2820 Sleeping in Cabin While Under Way?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea Seven

Reaction score
Hello new member. Dont really hear or read about it much .. But, any of your passengers sleep in the cabin while under way? So Cal waters mainly. I know 1-2'ers should be doable, but 4-5'ers? 2-3 with wind chop? What speed would you operate to be comfortable for the wife. TIA

I've never been on a 2820.....[Had a 2530]

But I don't think thats gonna happen. Lay down? Maybe.........Sleep ? Nope.

Hello new member. Dont really hear or read about it much .. But, any of your passengers sleep in the cabin while under way? So Cal waters mainly. I know 1-2'ers should be doable, but 4-5'ers? 2-3 with wind chop? What speed would you operate to be comfortable for the wife. TIA
Hi Sea Seven, Welcome to CP!.... On rare occasions some have been able to nap in our cuddy cabin (2520) while running at speed, but that's on a calm, slick-water day. On the other hand we've had numerous people napping in the cockpit in most any conditions....

Unlikely to find restful sleep up there- unless its dead calm. =) Echoing @Andy with my observations about the beanbags in the cockpit providing comfort enough for folks to sleep soundly - even in some challenging conditions.

I have a 2820 and live in So Cal...its pretty much not gonna happen.

4-5'ers? You gonna go out in 4-5'ers here in socal? Long period maybe. Short period that's just not going to be much fun.

I have a 2310 and passengers will sleep in the v-berth on the way out if it is glassy at 5am. No problem. But once the wind chop picks up around 9 or 10 it is time to move to the bean bags into the cockpit for naps. Which quite frankly is very comfortable. BTW Your wife probably won't like the Parker unless she is out there to fish like my girlfriend.

4-5'ers? You gonna go out in 4-5'ers here in socal? Long period maybe. Short period that's just not going to be much fun.

I have a 2310 and passengers will sleep in the v-berth on the way out if it is glassy at 5am. No problem. But once the wind chop picks up around 9 or 10 it is time to move to the bean bags into the cockpit for naps. Which quite frankly is very comfortable. BTW Your wife probably won't like the Parker unless she is out there to fish like my girlfriend.
My wife loves our 2510, it handles the So Cal waves well and a nice dry ride. We have a lot of whale and dolphin watching time. But no bow berth sleeping in anything but glass.

My wife hated the Parker pilot house. Made her seasick from how it rolled so bad whenever we weren’t steaming. This was a 2120 so very different boat but the famous pounding ride of a Parker goes across their line up. I moved up to a downeast boat with a keel and an inboard diesel. Much better ride, loud under way but not too bad, but you can sleep in it when under way because the keel keeps the boat from pounding when running into a head sea.

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Just put our Catamaran pilot house for sale to get into a Parker due to the amount of fishing room and all the other better options the Parker provides. Simply put, we can only fish 4 people comfortably in our 29' Cat, but the ride is amazing. She and my young son sleep in the cabin in 4-5'ers regardless of how close the intervals. We always launch at 10pm cruising into the dark night and into the fishing grounds by gray. We dont plan on changing our launch time nor our speed of 12-15 knots since visibility is only by radar. As some all know, mist is heavy during that time and sometimes a rain coat is needed for the elements to sit in the deck. The plan was to have 4 people sit within the pilot house and 2 sleep in the bunk while underway. But if you guys say its impossible then I guess 2 unlucky fishermen will be in the back. Our main purpose is to fish, fish hard, and invite more friends/family to join us, not sleep all day. Thats why we are excited to get into a Parker because it crosses a lot of needs for us and the downside -vs- payoff is well worth it.

I will be customizing my Parker soon so I hope you guys give me some great ideas. Happy New Year and hope you guys have a great fishing season!

If you have any friends who are anesthesiologists they might be able to work something up pharmaceutically that would allow for some “sleep” running in those conditions. Unless you’re planning on running at trolling speeds, you’re also gonna need some sort of restraint system to prevent your anesthetized occupants of the vberth from being severely injured or killed, as you pulverize them while attempting to run in 4-5s while they are unconscious in the v berth…..🤣

I have a 2001 2520. Nice solid riding boat but anything bigger than 2ft it gets sporty in the berth. Only way I can see anyone sleeping in the berth of a Parker sport cabin while under way is on a nice calm day.

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Just put our Catamaran pilot house for sale to get into a Parker due to the amount of fishing room and all the other better options the Parker provides. Simply put, we can only fish 4 people comfortably in our 29' Cat, but the ride is amazing. She and my young son sleep in the cabin in 4-5'ers regardless of how close the intervals. We always launch at 10pm cruising into the dark night and into the fishing grounds by gray. We dont plan on changing our launch time nor our speed of 12-15 knots since visibility is only by radar. As some all know, mist is heavy during that time and sometimes a rain coat is needed for the elements to sit in the deck. The plan was to have 4 people sit within the pilot house and 2 sleep in the bunk while underway. But if you guys say its impossible then I guess 2 unlucky fishermen will be in the back. Our main purpose is to fish, fish hard, and invite more friends/family to join us, not sleep all day. Thats why we are excited to get into a Parker because it crosses a lot of needs for us and the downside -vs- payoff is well worth it.

I will be customizing my Parker soon so I hope you guys give me some great ideas. Happy New Year and hope you guys have a great fishing season!

If you are not on plane it might work.

Parker is hard to beat as a fishing vessel. The ride might be a little rough in bigger seas but still totally worth it in my opinion. Good luck with your new 28ft Parker.

I have a 2520 in my area of the Atlantic around south Florida, nobody is sleeping in the cabin underway. I'm pounding those waves running down the coastline to get to Biscayne Bay down in Miami. Now once i turn into Government cut and start running the Bay to get to the bay side of the Keys. Now they can sleep, usually turns pretty flat with not a lot of waves, maybe other boat wakes but not much waves. I rather pound them in the Atlantic than running down the ICW, to many Idle speeds and Manatee zones for me, i make better time keeping on plane and rolling with the punches. I'm sure the Gulf of Mexico side, peeps have it easy, always flat over there. Sleep all you want.

Had some young children nap in the vee on a 2530 underway, when really tired. Otherwise nope.

But I have fallen asleep at the helm underway! My wife falls asleep in a cockpit chair virtually every time underway, at least at non-planing speeds.

Back