2820 Trailer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee34

Reaction score
Looking for recommendation's, what trailer is best for a 2820 XLD and why? My use will be seasonal / storage and occasional local hauling 20 miles.

Thanks,

A 2820 owner will let you know, it will not be cheap. My last trailer for a 2530, 8,000 lb, was about $7,000 in 2010. And ask your dealer too. Do not undersized, regardless of distance, my view. Good luck.

Dana

So you think you want a Tri- axle? I'd never own a Tri- Axle again.....Last one was 12,000lb..... Tri-axles a VERY hard on tires......Oh yea....They are fine in a stright line...But what about the turns? Well...It tries to tear the tire off via dragging it sideways.....It's a constant battle. At least 1 new tire per year. What would I do? Dual axle and have 2- 6000lb axles......I've preacjhed this before....You want a "Full" frame trailer...IE: the end of the trailer frame comes even with the transom. Not cantlivered bunks hanging 18in or 2ft aft of the rear crossmember.......You want Posi-Lube spindle axles.....NOT Buddy Bearings......Learn the difference......I've preached that for 20 + yrs.

+100 to what warthog said. I trailer 120 miles RT and have had many boats and trailers through the years. GET THE 12,000lb twin axle trailer. You will get a better quality tire with 15" tires, better brakes, and bearings. My last boat was between 8-10000 lbs and had a 2 axle trailer with the posi lube spindles and hubs. I replaced (1) tire in 5 years. MY current boat is a 2520 XL and sits on a tri axle trailer. The sharp turns on the boat ramp just drags the front tires. I will replace at least 1 tire ever 10 trips.

I will agree with the twin axle suggestion. You can get 7000 pound axles for a carrying capacity of around 12k. Absolutely, positively get 16 inch wheels to have a choice of heavy tires (such as GY Endurance or Michelin XPS rib).

If you trailer regularly (not just twice a year), spend some money and get a quality trailer. Nothing in boating is more expensive (and frustrating) than a cheap trailer.

I have a Rolls Axle and would recommend that brand (although I have found them a bit unresponsive to small requests after the sale).

I will agree with the twin axle suggestion. You can get 7000 pound axles for a carrying capacity of around 12k. Absolutely, positively get 16 inch wheels to have a choice of heavy tires (such as GY Endurance or Michelin XPS rib).

If you trailer regularly (not just twice a year), spend some money and get a quality trailer. Nothing in boating is more expensive (and frustrating) than a cheap trailer.

I have a Rolls Axle and would recommend that brand (although I have found them a bit unresponsive to small requests after the sale).

Had the same experience with Rolls Axle. I tried on three separate occasions to get them to build me a trailer for my 1700. Seemed like they couldn't be bothered to actually go through with selling me a trailer. In the end I bought a Load Rite that shipped with an 1801 from my local dealer. Very frustrating experience with RA.

If possible, try to find someone who will build you a dual axle for that boat. I haul a 2801 with dual axle. Today you need brakes on all wheels which I did away with years ago, but a new trailer will be require them. Don't know where you're at, but I know a shop in Ft. Lauderdale that will build one for you.

Thanks for all the good info, definitely looking for dual axles, 16" wheels and Posi lube. Located in NY metro area and haven't found a knowledgeable dealer .
Thanks again for all the help.

I have fought the trailer battle for all these years. Keep an eye on Craigs List, ebay, even area shopper type of free ad papers. The best trailer, and best deal by far, was in a free ad paper. Trailer had been used three times, all in fresh water. The guy had put his boat in a dry stack, and just wanted rid of the useless to him trailer.

Idk where your located but if your on the west coast you can have west coast trailers build you one and put 2 7k axles under it. They aren’t cheap but as everyone else says it’s easier on towing and turning.

I have a custom dual axle under my 2820

So you think you want a Tri- axle? I'd never own a Tri- Axle again.....Last one was 12,000lb..... Tri-axles a VERY hard on tires......Oh yea....They are fine in a stright line...But what about the turns? Well...It tries to tear the tire off via dragging it sideways.....It's a constant battle. At least 1 new tire per year. What would I do? Dual axle and have 2- 6000lb axles......I've preacjhed this before....You want a "Full" frame trailer...IE: the end of the trailer frame comes even with the transom. Not cantlivered bunks hanging 18in or 2ft aft of the rear crossmember.......You want Posi-Lube spindle axles.....NOT Buddy Bearings......Learn the difference......I've preached that for 20 + yrs.

That’s what I have for my 2520 XLD.

"Best" Trailer? IDK Here's the custom Sport Trail trailer I purchased for my 2016 2520 Open Back and never used before trading up to my 2017 2820 Open Back. Easy to get in and out of the boat when on the trailer. Electric over hydraulic. I liked the fender non-skid treatment. ;)

h3n6DV.jpg

FQpKec.jpg

pagkwd.jpg

b6BF6X.jpg

XWXDxL.jpg

v8PBsO.jpg

IEmMu8.jpg

xTd5sZ.jpg

QuU98Q.jpg

Last edited:
"Best" Trailer? IDK Here's the custom Sport Trail trailer I purchased for my 2016 2520 Open Back and never used before trading up to my 2017 2820 Open Back. Easy to get in and out of the boat when on the trailer. Electric over hydraulic. I liked the fender non-skid treatment. ;)

h3n6DV.jpg

FQpKec.jpg

pagkwd.jpg

b6BF6X.jpg

XWXDxL.jpg

v8PBsO.jpg

IEmMu8.jpg

xTd5sZ.jpg

QuU98Q.jpg
This trailer is awesome. I too like the fender non-skid, and for that matter, everything else about it! The low bow set-up /roller/bracket is the best I've seen. Being lower than most, it would not interfere with the the bow-eye and winch; and there's even non-skid even up there by the winch. The rear guides and sides with the 'ladder' are brilliant. Just last year I bought a new Road King for our 2520 XLD, and for 'too-much-$$. Although I only trailer the boat to get it off the lift for hurricanes, I wish I had known something like this existed when I bought the trailer. Was this up for sale at one time?... Where is Sport Trail located? and what's the approx. $$$ ?

Last edited:
i was gonna say sport trail too.
i have one for my 2501.
best trailers i have ever seen.
i tow all over (2,000 miles total and dunk it 30-40 times a year).
4 years. zero issues except the usual maintenance (repack, new jack, etc).
i believe they are in mississppi.
if you google “sport trail trailers” they come up. (it wont let me copy / paste for you).
ps - options are only limited to actually possible and your imagination. i have a custom bow ladder on mine so i can launch/retrieve solo.

Back