2820 with I/O Yanmar Diesel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishAC

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

My name is Pat and my father and I run a 2820 Parker out of Brigantine, NJ. The "Carla Ann" has a 300hp Yanmar diesel engine. Havent had a problem with her yet. We wish Parker would make more of these diesel powered beauties. This Parker has a 500+ mile range and always gives us a smooth ride.

She is amazing offshore fishing the wrecks and canyons for tuna and bills, and for fishing the inlets in the fall for bass in our heated cabin. :)

I'll get a picture of the boat up ASAP.

Hope to see you all out on the water.

Pat

Pat - sounds like you have the old Free Spirit! I am your neighbor I run out of Longport during the summer and Cape May in the fall. You are right that you have one fine running boat....the hunk of iron in the belly sure smooths out the seas.

Brad

You are correct...We got it from Steve Bent. My father found the boat when he was at the 28mile wreck on his friend's boat, when they had an engine fire, and Steve was responding to the mayday call...the fire was contained and we found an awesome boat out of what could have been an awful day.

What's your boat's name Brad? I'll listen for you on the radio.

Have a good one.

Pat

Pat - I have a 2520 DV called Nana Too. I keep the boat in Seaview Harbor. Look forward to seeing you on the water in the next few weeks.

A 2820 with a Yanmar diesel :?:
Gotta see some detail photos of that one! :)

I can't find any great pictures of the boat on my laptop, but here are some for now...I will get some better ones when she goes in the water in 2 weeks.

-Pat

Attachments

• Electronics.JPG
    Electronics.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 8,023
  • In dock.JPG
    In dock.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 8,023
  • Backing into slip.JPG
    Backing into slip.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 8,023
Great boat!!!
Do you have any more details on the boat
year ect.....
From what I thought, Parker dosen.t do inboards anymore.
I'm hoping to move up to a 28ft downeaster,
But if a 28 Parker was available with an inboard diesel, I would consider one !

This is a 2001. It was actually the factory prototype. This is hull number 1 of 1. I dont know why they didnt go with the production of the boat. For the past few years we've had it, its been amazing in and offshore. They seemed to do their homework with everything on the boat. The engine compartment is scary quiet hiding a beast of an engine with running. The cabin is roomy with a v-berth and an enclosed head that the room seals off so you can also use it as a shower. In the house itself, it has two benches and the captain's chair, and 7 grown men can comfortably sit down for a trip out to the canyons. Also in the house, the table also will drop down to convert one of the benhes into another sleeping area, not fit for a king, but for a fisherman, sure.

Any other questions just post a reply, I'll be happy to answer.

Pat

Ranger Tim-

I will be more then glad to take some this weekend. I am currently in Rhode Island, but I will be heading to the Jersey Shore this weekend and I will take a bunch of pictures of the boat and I will get you a bunch of the engine, its an impressive site with some cool added features.

Figure they will be posted Sunday or Monday...sorry for the wait though.

Pat

FishAC":21sr71iz said:
Figure they will be posted Sunday or Monday...sorry for the wait though.

Yes... a painful wait, but we're looking forward to them. :D

Pat,

I run Yanmars in our John Deere tractors at work. They are wonderful motors. How about some performance data, i.e. mpg, gph, oil consumption, basic maintenance schedules, or anything else that you feel demonstrates advantages over more common diesel installations?

I saw the Yanmar 315 hp w/ a jackshaft in a 28 ft. True World Marine boat, coupled to a Mercruiser Duoprop outdrive that was unbelievably cool. It featured 6-7 gph cruise at 30+ mph! This is the sort of engine setup I wish Parker would consider for their larger boats - As if I really could afford to own one!

Ranger Tim":3pfdu5qo said:
I saw the Yanmar 315 hp w/ a jackshaft in a 28 ft. True World Marine boat, coupled to a Mercruiser Duoprop outdrive that was unbelievably cool. It featured 6-7 gph cruise at 30+ mph! This is the sort of engine setup I wish Parker would consider for their larger boats - As if I really could afford to own one!

Wouldn't that be a sweet combo in a 28!
315 Yanmar jackshafted to a Volvo composite duo-prop...

I couldn't afford one either. :cry:

Speaking of John Deere's... I have a slip-neighbor with a 42' Robbins that has a single 300 hp John Deere in it. You should hear the turbo whine when he throttles her up when leaving the dock. :D Sweet!

The Robbins is one of the few boats I'd consider selling my Parker for.

robbins40_18.jpg

What an awesome boat !! Now that is something I would upgrade to !!

Please post pics of the inside of the cabin and engine area.

I am surprised they didnt build more that way considering the popularity of the Steiger 26 w/ diesel i/o.

Great looking rig!

Here are the long awaited pictures of the inboard diesel in my 2820 Parker. I also included a picture of the stern drive with counter rotating prop.

Any questions, feel free to post.

Have a good one.

Pat

Attachments

• P1012851 (Medium).JPG
    P1012851 (Medium).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 7,827
  • P1012857 (Medium).JPG
    P1012857 (Medium).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 7,827
  • P1012858 (Medium).JPG
    P1012858 (Medium).JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 7,827
Too bad the engine cover takes up so much room in the cockpit, but I guess it's a trade off.

If they make the pilot house somewhat smaller, it would give more cockpit space.

At first glance it seems like it kills your your space, but its really not bad at all. It's only like 18 inches high, so if you have to get out of someone's way, just step up on it. Also, it gives a nice place to sit especially when trolling the canyons for tuna and bills. You can be in the middle of your rod spread and watch the spread from it. There is also about 2 feet on each side of the box and even when tuna are taking you for a walk around the boat, the angler has more than enough room to keep the upper hand on the fish.

That boat is awesome !!!
And it must be super efficient with the diesel and the dual props !!!
I think it's nuts that Parker doesn't make more of them !!!

Back