4 Blade believer

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEHusker

Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. I changed out the props on my 2501 with twin Yammie 200's. Boat came with 14 1/4 x 18 three blade Yamaha Reliance props. Prob pretty standard. I felt like the engine lugged a bit with these props and the bow rise/stern squat was pronounced - even for a Parker. I also couldn't get RPM's above 5300-5400 at WOT which led me to believe it was overpropped. On calm days and relatively smooth seas I could get some good fuel efficiency but once the boat had to start working (read: rougher seas), the torque was sapped quickly and I was constantly having to adjust throttle up and down to maintain speed. It was a very fine line between staying on plane and getting beaten up and pounding by going to fast (in order to keep engines revved enough to not lose speed and come off plane). No amount of trimming or tabs made much of a difference. Decided to start looking at either propping down, adding a blade, or both.

Long story short, Went with Solas Titan 4 blade stainless 14 1/2 x 15. WOW. It is a different boat with those props. I am amazed by the difference. So much less stern squat/bow rise. Hole shot is insane now. Soooo much more responsive at all low-midrange RPMs. I can now better utilize the torque curve of the boat as I run about 300-400 rpms's higher at same speed. This is all especially noticeable when loaded and headed out to the fishing grounds. I did lose about 3 mph's off WOT but at least I'm now at about 5900 rpm at WOT. I also lost a tiny bit of efficiency. Easy cruising I'd get 2.5mpg, now prob 2.4mpg routinely but this is all very sea dependent. Still seeing 2.0+ loaded down and headed out in rough'ish seas.

Only negative difference I can tell is that there is some "chatter" now at idle rpm's esp noticeable in reverse. Any ideas on what this is and how to make it better? Props are on correctly and not "loose" so not sure.

Should have done this long ago. Yamaha/Parker overpropped this boat IMO. Not sure what their intent was but I am happy as a clam with this setup.

I went with Power Tech SCE4 in 14X17. Similar results. I still maintained most of my WOT speed. Better cruise numbers. I also had chatter at the lower RPMs and also at 2700-2900 RPMs. They are supposed to come as a matched set of props from the OEM. They were not. I sent them back on my dime and the props they returned on their dime (mine just reworked) are amazing. 7 bars of trim, no tabs = 50 MPH, 5900 RPM with my boat ready to fish. My planning speed also dropped to about 14 MPH with tabs full down.

Props are on correctly and not "loose" so not sure.

I actually use a torque wrench EVERY time.....Tighten to 38ftlbs....Then that little bit tighter to align the cotter pin holes.

Get the Flo torq IV hub kit. That will stop the chatter at low idle. Same thing happened when we switched over to stainless merc rev 4 propellers from the stock aluminum.

Back