4 Rod Holders per Gunnel. Why fisherman love Parkers

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Madison CT

Reaction score
When I got the boat last year, about this time, there were only 2 rod holders per gunnel. I've since added two more per gunnel.

So, aside from the gold rodholders on my boat, I have 8 conventional gunnel rod holders.

Did you guys know that Parker OEM rod holders are one of the best deals in the boat industry. Something like $25/each from your Parker dealer. I think they switched to CE SMith's too. (they all come with a nice Parker stamped logo on them)

IMG_1074.jpg

John_Madison CT":2swaln2a said:
Did you guys know that Parker OEM rod holders are one of the best deals in the boat industry. Something like $25/each from your Parker dealer. I think they switched to CE SMith's too, (they all come with a nice Parker stamped logo on them).
Wow, that's a great price, as I think they're cast SS ones. Even simple stamped ones (cheapies) cost $20 on-line. I'll have to check out my dealer.

Oh yeah ... I have 9 rod holders installed in my washboards :) !

I only have the 2 OEM's in the washboards and the rocket launchers up top... but then I only troll 5 lines. :)

Still... the number of lines generally isn't a limiting factor in my catching.

Image-8D4F2EDEB45211D9.jpg

Image-8D4F5430B45211D9.jpg

Next year, after I add outriggers, I'll pull 7 lines. Maybe...

I troll a 10 rod spread in the spring using rod holders and rocket launchers. If I had more rod holders I would have to fill them with rods.

What you have there looks very nice.

Anthony

Only have 2 per gunwale currently. However I have 6 across the front of my fish box. For trolling, I just ordered a pair of kite fishing tridents from BOE Marine and will let you know how they work out. They should allow me to run 6-8 lines with the addition of my rod riggers without planers or outriggers. I will just have to vary depths and lengths. They will probably work well for chumming too.

Here is what I ordered. They fit right in a standard rod holder:

http://66.98.194.54/tacomarine.com/item ... -0770.html

F31-0770.jpg

B,

The trident would probably be ok for kites, but might put a lot of stress on the single rod holder when trolling. Make sure there is a good stiff back plate behind the single rod holder in the gunwhale.

I use planer boards when I troll. I put two lines off of each board (shallow), and one down the middle way-way-back (WWB) (also shallow) off the roof.

Off the transom, I run 4 rods, two shallow and two deeper so they don't tangle.

So...I can easily run 9 rods, assuming I have enough crew on board to handle the chinese firedrill when one goes down, or one snags a crab pot or something else. If I'm short crew, I only run 4 off the transom and one WWB off the roof.

Forgot...planer boards in the Ches Bay need to be much longer than the 27" models that one can build from plans on TidalFish.com. I've found that 40" is minimum to keep them from jumping around in the 2' chop.

I'll try to take some pics next time I troll and get them up here.

Porkchunker, I decided not to troll with the trident (will use for chumming though). I have another set up I have gone with instead. It allows me to troll 7 lines without planer boards. I run a standard rod rigger off the forward holders and a rod rigger that angles one rod stright back and one to the side. I also can run a long surface rod out the center. You can kind of see the aft rod rigger I speak if in the bottom right of this picture:

Attachments

• fish06.JPG
    fish06.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,527
I have two rod riggers also. But they only have one holder per. I use them in the forward rod holders to troll shallower than the two rods that face directly to the rear in the rear rod holders. So...my heavy UBs face directly back running deep, my lighter daisy chains and tandem bucktails are in the rodholders facing out 90 deg. to the gunwhale running shallower. That keeps the 4 lines off the transom from tangleing even in a fairly aggressive turn.

I'm tempted to add outriggers and dump the boards, but I'm just not sure what to buy and where to mount them on the 2510.

Porkchunker":1d3y76gi said:
I'm tempted to add outriggers and dump the boards, but I'm just not sure what to buy and where to mount them on the 2510.

I've already decided what I want to put on mine...

Image-81C396B1673B11D9.jpg

parker25fins":2nzj2ryb said:
what dealer has them for 25.00 each? my dealer told me 50.00
thanks
pat

I would like to order 3 or 4 "Parker" branded rodholders also...where can I get them @ $25ea?

John_Madison CT":2nfnph7g said:
Try this dealer in Cape Cod: Cataumet Boats. Ask for Neil. They shipped them to my home.

Thanks,

John

Thanks...would that be Chatham or Bourne?

Back