6ft seas coming in pitch black yesterday and took a beating.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
Had four guys on my little 21 footer, coming in late evening when the winds and swells picked up. White caps everywhere but not once did I feel unsafe in this little boat. But man it was not comfortable at all, we are all beat up from this trip. There was nothing I could do to keep it from slamming. We were going no more than 11-13 mph had waves spashing over the top of the pilot house dripping into the cockpit. I had one guy sitting back there and he was soaked.

By the time it was calm enough for me to capture some video, it was down to 3 to 4 ft 13mph still made it uncomfortable. We spent an hour+ in this condition. If you're paying attention, I lost my captain side wipers!

when the ocean blows up sometimes all you can do is work the throttle to keep from pounding too much.

You learn to read the seas.

In those conditions I bury the tabs, and fast idle. No other way to do it. Slow and steady. You learn how well a boat is made during those times. And to also respect the ocean.

I think what Jay is saying, is why was he outside the PH?
Something I keep in mind after several stories of avoidable tragedy the last few years is to don life jackets at the first smell of trouble. Especially the dude in the back.
Good story man. I am NOT speaking from experience, but 6 footers are no joke.
You now have a great experience for your knowledge bank and a little more trust in your boat.
I don't remember how the floor draining is laid out. Is there any way for water to get below the deck in any magnitude? On 2320s, more that 2 or 3 inches of water in the rear can spill into the bilge...where a high water alarm can save your bacon.

I think what Jay is saying, is why was he outside the PH?
Something I keep in mind after several stories of avoidable tragedy the last few years is to don life jackets at the first smell of trouble. Especially the dude in the back.
Good story man. I am NOT speaking from experience, but 6 footers are no joke.
You now have a great experience for your knowledge bank and a little more trust in your boat.
I don't remember how the floor draining is laid out. Is there any way for water to get below the deck in any magnitude? On 2320s, more that 2 or 3 inches of water in the rear can spill into the bilge...where a high water alarm can save your bacon.
This is the one thing i dislike about the Parker. There is only seating for 3 inside the cabin. I asked him to come in and just squat on the cooler but he decided to sit outside. I have coolers mounted to both back walls of the pilot house with cushions which provides a sitting place.

The boat floor drain performaned extremely well, when i remove the drain plug, there was not a single drop fo water

I almost always have 1 or 2 guys on bean bags on the back deck.

Mandatory to wear a life jacket while sitting back there.

Why you ask?

While running on step I know of 1 instance where I guy got thrown out of the cockpit during a tuna derby shotgun start. No life vest but the captain was able to save him.

Another time, a seasick passenger was out back and stood up to vomit (without the captain knowing). That person was lost at sea and his body was never found.

Neither boat was a Parker, but each was a similar build pilot house boat.

Be safe out there.

If I uploaded it correctly this is a pretty common day trolling for kings in the PNW. This was my first trip out with my Parker 2320. Had a wet cockpit but the boat handled so much better than the 21’ NR I had before

Attachments

• IMG_2548.MOV
    26.2 MB
  • IMG_2767.MOV
    24 MB
If I uploaded it correctly this is a pretty common day trolling for kings in the PNW. This was my first trip out with my Parker 2320. Had a wet cockpit but the boat handled so much better than the 21’ NR I had before
Yup, thats what we deal with here in NorCal as well. I usually dont go out when its anything over 6ft unless its a looooong wave length.

My buddy took this about 40 miles outside neah bay. It was just starting to get soupy.

I feel like I’ve seen this video before, maybe not, that is sloppy for sure. I think it’s a testament to Parker that we still fish when it takes 2 of us on our knees just to set gear

Back