91 Parker CC Fuel tank replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got two more to make. Ran out of neoprene. But this is what it should look like under then tank.
C425E364-C051-4851-B146-ECF56A00CEE3.jpeg

For about $150, you can coal tar epoxy the tank and forget it. Air, salt, and aluminum is not a friendly combination regardless of your drain holes or not. (my 2 cents)

For about $150, you can coal tar epoxy the tank and forget it. Air, salt, and aluminum is not a friendly combination regardless of your drain holes or not. (my 2 cents)

Can you recommend a brand of Coal Tar Epoxy and where to buy it? Maybe a link?

95 X 6.5 = 617lbs + the tank weight held by 4 screws while the boat bounces thru the waves.

When people do it my way....No water will get trapped or enter the coffin....I also tell them to take pix's of the steps for resale. It's Proof.

You will still have a stagnant collection of moisture in your coffin.....Lil solar fans have been used to circulate air. The piehole covers are popped out and coners with a fan installed while boat is at rest.
love those solar vents

Does anyone know of a different coating for aluminum. I’ve seen a grey “paint” on two of my tanks that are 21 years old that is holding up well. Just wondering if there is a coating that is less toxic than coal tar. I’ve also see coal tar discolor and get soft if it gets hot like in south Florida. Cal is different. Maybe there is an rpm product or Sherwin Williams product specifically meant to be sacrificial and is not toxic. Thea old tanks have to be disposed some how.

Im interested in seeing the final layout and install.
I spoke to Vince and he is going to build me a tank. I cancelled my order for the Moeller plastic tank. The aluminum tank is more than double the price but it was going to be 70 gallons vs 100 and too many unknowns with the plastic tank.

Decided to just drop in the tank just like my tank builder recommended. Naked. Tank is secured to the stringers with 1/4” lag bolts. Starboard used as spacers between the tabs and the stringers. Feels solid. Should stay put even with the pounding of the ocean. Used 2X4’s sealed with 2 coats of epoxy for the deck ledge and secured with lag bolts. Here are the progress pictures
B31795C3-C83B-47AE-9BFB-968A5D003A9C.jpegEAE5D3DC-D792-4FFF-9C97-02BF6942A3C2.jpeg

Of coarse he recommended to put it in without a coating, he wants to keep selling fuel tanks.

If a bare foamed tank lasted 30 years from factory, I’m pretty sure this bare breathable tank will last just as long, if not longer. My 2 cents.

FYI, a bare breathable tank on a trailer boat should be rinsed and allowed to drain completely to complete surface dryness. That mean rinse her with fresh water via access panels, tilt boat steeply and let her drain and dry. I keep my access panels open between trips to allow airflow and equilibrium with surrounding moisture. This is California so it’s a dry cool climate. There is many different ways to do this and it’s different depending on conditions.

Did you drill a new drain hole (limber) at the bottom of the coffin? That will allow water under the tank from the bilge but otherwise any water that gets in cant get out. Make sure your new tank is well bonded to ground. Check that wire on both ends for corrosion. I cant stress this enough.

Im dropping my tank off at American Fuel Tanks today. Vince told me $1500

Did you drill a new drain hole (limber) at the bottom of the coffin? That will allow water under the tank from the bilge but otherwise any water that gets in cant get out. Make sure your new tank is well bonded to ground. Check that wire on both ends for corrosion. I cant stress this enough.

Im dropping my tank off at American Fuel Tanks today. Vince told me $1500
Yep on both.
Just so you know, Vince welds in the pickup tubes and installs a new fuel sending unit. You’ll simply need the fittings for the fuel pick up hoses and vent hose.

Got the deck installed today and sanded down roughly 1.5-2” on each side of the seam. Made a nice taper near then seam. Filled the seams with thickened epoxy aka peanut butter. I’ll sand it and throw 1708 fiberglass tomorrow. I’ll wait till that cures, sand down as smooth as I’d like anthem re-do my non-skid decking with Kiwigrip to hide any imperfections in the seam. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
399D9ADA-1992-4699-B58E-C8C9980E21B8.jpeg

Nice progress! Is the fastened 2x4 ledge approach for the tank hatch the most common way to reinstall the cut hatch? Did you screw the cut hatch into the 2x4s?

Back