A,B'd Parker 2120 vs 2320 Sport Cabins

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC

Reaction score
More food for thought...

While searching the i-net for Parker boats, I have found Blogs and Posts from Anglers struggling with the decision....should I purchase a Parker 2120 or 2320?. This past weekend I was out fishing on a friend’s 2320 and had the opportunity to A,B both models. We compared the deck space of his 2320 to the 2120. Too my surprise, the additional deck space of the 2320 was not as much as imagined. The 2120 and 2320 are practically identical with the exception of the Transom area. Parker increased deckspace by redesigning the 2120 and removing the much needed seating, plus the Motor Bracket was added. At times, and in choppy or rough conditions, you may find the need to sit down. With the 2320 we had to bring portable seating.

I found it very inconvenient having to fish around the Motor Bracket. We all hooked up while fishing a large school of Weakies. You guessed it, while fighting a fish under the Motor Bracket he went. The same situation happened again when we hooked into a school of Slammers. I could immediately see that for me, the Bracket would become a problem when fishing. Standing out on the Motor Bracket in choppy seas to untangle my fishing lines from the prop was no picnic. I did like his fish box.

The 2320 with the Yamaha 225, fully equipped, is approximately 1,287 lbs. heavier than the 2120 with the F150. We both agree that it would be difficult to launch and retrieve his 2320 by ones self. With a trailer, the GTW is around 7,400 lbs. This requires a hefty tow vehicle like my friend’s Diesel Truck.

However subjective, as a fishing boat I found the 2120 to be more ergonomically adaptable and friendlier to manage.

I love the 2120. Especially with the F150. I have thought outloud on many occasions that if I bought the Parker 2120 after my 17' Whaler, and not a 19' Whaler instead, I would still own it today, as opposed to my moving up from the 17 footer to the 19 footer to the 2520 that I own.

I am constantly learning more and more about the capabilities of our 2120 which is now 3 years old, purchased new. I have a 150HPDI Yamaha, and have recently added a "permatrim" unit. We keep our boat on the Chesapeake Bay, and trailer it to the Ocean as well. I agree with your comparison that aside from the enclosed transom not much difference exists in space. I feel very safe on our boat, and recently added a new "EPIRB" with GPS positioning as a measure of safety when offshore. You could put this boat on the trailer yourself, but it is nice to have an extra hand. I have also added the high end Lee's riggers to the hard top. This boat is a very strong performer in rough water, and I have been running boats to over 50' in length most of my life.

Attachments

• Bay1.jpg
    Bay1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11,655
I just can't find the advantage of the 2320 over the 2120. My thoughts of purchasing a 2520 will inevitably lock me into a Slip and limit my fishing range. I can trailer the 2120 all over the country and very economically. When the Stripers enter Raritan Bay, I'm there. Trailering the 2120 gives me the advantage to follow the migration all the way down the East Coast. On a fishing trip I met a guy from Rhode Island and he trailers his 2120 all the way to the Chesapeake Bay following the Stripers. He said he wouldn't trade the 2120 for any other boat.

JC - Never aboard a 2320, so can't compare. Really like the 2120 tho. Been across Florida on the Okeechobee Waterway, ICW Stuart to Canaveral Barge Canal, Beaufort, NC, Charleston - Beaufort, SC, Tennesee River, all of Kentucky Lake, Chicago circle tour and Lake Michigan/Green Bay - Washington Island to Chicago in our 2120. Typically splash and retrieve by myself if alone and no problems. Tow with a AWD Mountaineer.

Capt. Yakes - recently added a Permatrim from SIM on THT and really like it. MPG at cruise is up and don't use tabs as much. Handles the slop/chop much better.

Didn't look at the 2320 when we bought our 2120 (dealer didn't have any), but I think we made the right choice passing on the 23' WA's we looked at from other makers. This boat is more seaworthy than I imagined. Going through Barnegat Inlet gets tricky at times, and we've always felt secure and in control, even with the open transom. Powered with the 2 stroke 150, economy and performance hasn't been an issue for us. But a fish box would have been nice. I keep it in the water during the season and on a trailer during the winter, and I can pull it with my Chevy Trailblazer which for me is a plus.

John S.

I would challenge anyone who says one can't launch/recover a 2320/3210 alone. I do so with my 2510 all the time. I did put an electric winch on the trailer, but I still launch/recover alone quite a bit.

I'll agree that the 23 and 21 hulls are easier to tow though.

For trailering, the 2120 is a wonderful craft. It is all I need to take advantage of the fall/winter striper season here in Virginia. I spend less money than most other folks with the big boats yet I fish in total comfort! True, it doesn't fly along at 50 mph, but I'm dry when I get there!

I would like to learn more about the Perma Trim thingy.?

JC":3aeet70t said:
...should I purchase a Parker 2120 or 2320?. This past weekend I was out fishing on a friend’s 2320 and had the opportunity to A,B both models. We compared the deck space of his 2320 to the 2120. Too my surprise, the additional deck space of the 2320 was not as much as imagined.

One thing that I noticed during the 2006 Annapolis Rendezvous, was that as each boat approached us from the open Bay, the sport cabin boats were almost impossible to ID (by size) even from a relatively short distance.

Take a look at the 5 threads of photos here:
http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17

I was able to photograph almost every boat as it came into Whitehall Bay, and the sillouette of the sport cabins were unmistakeable... but it was difficult to tell a 2120 from the 2820 from a distance.

The reason?? When Parker designed the boats, they built them all proportional. They didn't build one cabin and slap it on several models. Each boat is designed so they are in proportion, from the smallest SC to the largest.

Look at the photos as evidence.

To me... that is quality, and the reason why you don't see a big difference between the models... until they are rafted up next to one another. :wink:

Great observation Kevin. :D I always knew all sized model Parkers were gorgeous, I never really thought about -why-.

Supermodels come in -all- sizes. 8)

Just to be clear about what I believe is the most significant failing of the 2120 versus the 2320 solid transom -- NO FISH BOX! If Parker would incorporate a box in the floor, even at the expense of losing some fuel tank size, I would consider the boat almost flawless.

Perhaps it is time for a thread on 2120 fish storage solutions, otherwise known as "Where we put our big cooler."

JC":1rmoxcfs said:
More food for thought...

While searching the i-net for Parker boats, I have found Blogs and Posts from Anglers struggling with the decision....should I purchase a Parker 2120 or 2320?. This past weekend I was out fishing on a friend’s 2320 and had the opportunity to A,B both models. We compared the deck space of his 2320 to the 2120. Too my surprise, the additional deck space of the 2320 was not as much as imagined. The 2120 and 2320 are practically identical with the exception of the Transom area. Parker increased deckspace by redesigning the 2120 and removing the much needed seating, plus the Motor Bracket was added. At times, and in choppy or rough conditions, you may find the need to sit down. With the 2320 we had to bring portable seating.

I found it very inconvenient having to fish around the Motor Bracket. We all hooked up while fishing a large school of Weakies. You guessed it, while fighting a fish under the Motor Bracket he went. The same situation happened again when we hooked into a school of Slammers. I could immediately see that for me, the Bracket would become a problem when fishing. Standing out on the Motor Bracket in choppy seas to untangle my fishing lines from the prop was no picnic. I did like his fish box.

The 2320 with the Yamaha 225, fully equipped, is approximately 1,287 lbs. heavier than the 2120 with the F150. We both agree that it would be difficult to launch and retrieve his 2320 by ones self. With a trailer, the GTW is around 7,400 lbs. This requires a hefty tow vehicle like my friend’s Diesel Truck.

However subjective, as a fishing boat I found the 2120 to be more ergonomically adaptable and friendlier to manage.

I'm sure many a boat has been passed over for either real or percieved problems and shortcomings. There are also many areas of compromise when it comes to choosing a boat.

I could teach anyone to launch and load my 2520 XL solo. I do it all the time. In fact... I refuse help because it there is absolutely nothing for a second person to do except watch. One of these days I'm going to have someone shoot some video of the process and post it here.

I've got just short of 400 hours now on the motor and likely 800 hours of fishing time when I calculate drifting and hook time. The bracket is not an issue for me or the many different amateur fisherman I've had aboard. I can only think of one fish I broke off on the prop.....could have happened without the bracket.

The fish boxes in the transom are perfect for bailing mahi..... fish pulled out of the water and right into the box to control it and remove the hook without bending down to the deck. That full transom is wonderful for extra seating while fishing.

Any reason to get a diesel truck is a good reason in my book!

So many boats..... so little time.

Attachments

• Pot of gold (2).jpg
    Pot of gold (2).jpg
    125 KB · Views: 11,562
Not having a fish box on the 2120 is not a problem. Force 10 makes a nice Seacook Gimbaled Stove. You can eat your catch as they're brought on board....... :mrgreen: I agree, what was Parker thinking? :shock:

Ranger Tim, here is the link:
http://www.permatrimmarine.com/

These guys make a very high quality unit...very solid with good hardware. We are early in the stages of running the boat with it, but will keep you abreast of the performance. They have also painted this unit to match your Yamaha very nicely.

As far as the fish box goes, I keep an "Igloo" 120qt. up tight to the splashwell guard with bungee cords. Works fine for most fish, but when you are graced with a fat Tuna a fish bag is the way to go. The cooler is just visible in this shot. I am considering a taller and narrower "Iceytek" which would take up less room. We also put a cooler up against the pilot house back wall with a cushion for additional seating and food/beverage storage.

Attachments

• Solomans.jpg
    Solomans.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 11,493
Good looking boat Cap. :wink:

I can vouch for the Icey-Tek coolers. I have a 40 qt that stays in the pilothouse all season, and is used for beverages... That thing will hold ice for a week.

I also have a 70 qt Icey-Tek that is used for fish during tournaments. I place it in the cockpit against the transom wall. Other than tournaments, all my fishing is C&R.

I believe Boaters World is now selling Icey-Tek coolers under their Outer Banks Outfitters brand, but I'm not sure how the prices compare with the Icey-Tek brand.

Capt. Yakes":25gaxx6p said:
Ranger Tim, here is the link:
http://www.permatrimmarine.com/

These guys make a very high quality unit...very solid with good hardware. We are early in the stages of running the boat with it, but will keep you abreast of the performance. They have also painted this unit to match your Yamaha very nicely...

I was also thinking of the permatrim, but they are pricey and I needed two. :( :( :(

So I opted for another metal unit made by Cobra: http://classicparker.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... t=doelfins

Mine were painted also, but it didn't take long for the paint to start peeling. I don't think there is a single fleck of paint on them anymore. Don't pay extra for the paint, because you are not likely to have it long.

I have a variety of different sized Igloo Marine coolers that I use for a fish box. I also use one of those "sticky" mats under them so they don't slide around. They are in the way no matter where you put them. I use different sizes for different trips, depending on what I expect to catch. I always buy the white foam cushions that snap on too, for extra seating. Lately I have been wishing for boxes in the floor. I would put the coolers in the cabin between the berths except the fish often force the lids open and thrash about, slinging fish goo everywhere. The Admiral doesn't like that much...

"lately I've been wishing for boxes in the floor"

That sounds like a great idea except...

you gotta get on hands and knees to clean them,
the lids get left open, broken legs soon to follow!
won't drain without macerator pumps (never work long)
most boats w/floor boxes have spongy decks

I feel your pain. Somewhat of a solution is to fit a fairly large cooler between the reat jump seats. Use a teak 1x3 or ss tube to hold cooler off motor, and tilt up motor to check for clearance before installing teak 1x3.

Worked for me on my 18 Parker.

Back