About to buy 04 21 se w/o sea trial, honest opinions wanted

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gsully23

Reaction score
So I work at a boat dealership as a mechanic....and every once in a while we get a trade in that might interest me. Long story short, last week we recieved this 04 parker 21 se as trade for something else, but during the trade evaluation I noticed alot of small things are no good. The engine is a yamaha f150txrd (05 model even though it states november 04) with 658 hours. It has trim tabs, vhf, and an outdated color fish finder/ chart plotter. Everything else besides the bilge pump needs replacing (nav light, horn, and steering cable) the steering cable is why I cant sea trial it. Although I've hooked my ydis laptop up and everything checks out, all four cylinders have 145-150 psi, etc.

I want to know about the ride, we sell bay style boats where I'm at that have a 14 degree deadrise and yea...there not the smoothest boats in the chesapeake where I live.....but I dont mind the ride. I plan to mainly use the boat in the bay and rivers, but to also take it down to the keys once a year to go offshore. The boat feels solid and really just needs some tlc (the hull is solid, no spider cracks, etc) and my purpose is fishing. Heck, it even has all the cushions and they look brand new which is unheard of with an boat from 04. My price tag is 7,000 with an excellent condition 04 ez loader trailer. It looks so goo I cant believe the motor has 600 hours. Only downside is no t-top. For the price I know I cant go wrong.....I wish it had a 200 but it doesnt and has bottom paint. I was hoping for maybe about 36-38 wide open when its flat.....does that sound about right?

Is this the right boat for someone that doesnt mind some beatings in chop and able to go offshore on light days? I just cant get over the amount of room it has for fishing for a 21 and the all flat deck makes it safe for my toddler to roam on when I take him out. Only thing it's missing is some more rod holders!!! I hope I end up posting here more often if everything goes well

$7k!!! If you don’t buy it I will. I have ‘01 21SE with Yami SX200. In Tampa Bay we have shallows but we can also get a sloppy chop. This boat allows me to take the boys fishin but still take the fam to the sandbar. In most conditions. As far as offshore, the motor well is low so be careful on following seas. But since the deck is self bailing, I still feel safe. My boat does have some soft spots because of the tower installation. Over time the seal failed and water crept in the screw holes. I plan to redo the deck in the next 2 years or so. But I would take this boat over a bay boat any day.
592d65e096f3d92692f7c7d04e4e80ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, to say I'm excited would be an understatement. As a full time boat mechanic I know I good boat when I see one and this fits my needs. The only thing I dont like is finding a t-top that will fit due to that starboard side entrance door on the console being so larger. We have one coming in from another boat with slight freeze damage I am hoping would fit but it has a forward and aft console side mount.....not just the aft one from factory. Might be able to pay someone to modify it slightly but first things first and that's acquiring the boat. I tried to post pics but the files are to large it says.

Yeah, like TFK said if you don't buy it let me know what marina it's at, I'll come get it :lol: I'd say pony up the $$$ for a shop to custom build a T-top for you that has everything you want, based on looking around at other boats. The sky is the limit and you'll get exactly what you want, and still be WAAAAY below the normal cost of a rig like that.

I'm surprised that you are willing to buy a boat that you can't run. I'm a marine surveyor and there are looooots of things that can go wrong. As you know. If it's a trade in the dealership owns the boat. They have to replace the steering cable to sell the boat anyway. Replace it and take it for ride. My concern is not whether the ride will be ok but whether there are hidden problems with the boat. You won't know until you run it.

1801Steve":1aanhe9u said:
I'm surprised that you are willing to buy a boat that you can't run. I'm a marine surveyor and there are looooots of things that can go wrong. As you know. If it's a trade in the dealership owns the boat. They have to replace the steering cable to sell the boat anyway. Replace it and take it for ride. My concern is not whether the ride will be ok but whether there are hidden problems with the boat. You won't know until you run it.

Yea, most would be concerned about the way it runs, but I ran it on a hose and in the ramp under load.....I'm very happy with the results. I could also see when I hooked it up to my ydis that the engine has been run under 2200 rpm 3/4 of its life and theres no over rev counts or codes. Obviously being a new to me boat, it will get a new water pump, filters, oil, plugs, and possibly fuel pump rebuilds (since they are manual pumps) Also I'm 1 cert away from being a yamaha master tech....and to be honest the engine was the least of my concerns.

Also, I dont know how sales are elsewhere. But you would be amazed at how many people are buying boats. People are buying whatever they can get there hands on. We normally have 20 million in stock, and yesterday we sold out. I can gurantee the market is going to drop next year.

Anyways, I'm the proud new owner of a 04 21 se with an 05 f150txrd so wish me luck. I'm pumped, nowadays you dont see many center consoles, if any with a flat deck and all open platform such as this.

Attachments

• phpEK3fwyPM.jpg
    phpEK3fwyPM.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 220
  • phpwHFB3ZPM.jpg
    phpwHFB3ZPM.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 218
  • phpO1IlYYPM.jpg
    phpO1IlYYPM.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 211
$7k ..... you can't possibly go wrong. The motor alone is almost worth the asking price.

I like the fact that you are buying without a T-top. You can now have a custom built top to whatever design, size and shape that you desire. Cost you $4k for a beautiful, functional top.

Man, what an awesome score. Well done.

Being on the west coast, I am so jealous of the # of used glass CC's you guys come across.

GoodChance":1myvcpme said:
$7k ..... you can't possibly go wrong. The motor alone is almost worth the asking price.

I like the fact that you are buying without a T-top. You can now have a custom built top to whatever design, size and shape that you desire. Cost you $4k for a beautiful, functional top.

Yea, I was hoping not to spend 4k on a t-top, but it might come down to that. I have a warranty top coming in because a small freeze damage crack that I'm hoping I can use/ convert by paying a welder to fit it. The only thing I dont seem to like is where the side console entry is....I enjoy the access to the back of the dash but it's in a prime mounting point for a t-top or speakers. I also hate that the previous owner had it bottom painted but from what I can see it doesnt look like there was a barrier coat primer applied. I might try to see if I have any shot of removing before I add a fresh layer of ablative.

I have a feeling I'm gonna love the boat, never been on a parker but can tell it's a solid hull and very easy to work on/maintain. It's got a lot of little things I'm going to change but since I see myself keeping this boat for many years I've got time.

Good luck with you SE. I got a 23SE with the open floor plan forward with no storage or step up and wouldn't want it any other way. Being able to fish forward in the bow unhindered by seats and a raised deck makes it a pleasure. The 14 degree deadrise makes it very stable when drift fishing or at anchor but you pay for it in a tight chop which I accept. I did have one issue last year in a huge following sea and the only time in 45 years on the water I considered it dangerous. I had to throttle up the 200HP to climb the waves and throttle back going the downside. I tried a slight angle to avoid stuffing the bow in the wave ahead of me while being pushed/lifted by the one behind. Twice the boat veered violently to the side when the bow plowed into the wave ahead while being pushed by the one behind. The stern of the boat came out of the water and the motor over reved. This was a day I had no business being out there. It's a testament to the boat we didn't sink.

That VHF antenna is for a sail boat.....Doesn't belong on a power boat....You will only hear 1/2 the conversation that another boat right beside you will hear with a 8ftr.

T-Tops here in Pensacola start at $2300.....If you have one that needs major modification.....legs in the way are major modification.....Then build a new one.

Thanks for the advice...basically anything that's one the boat in the pics wont be there for long. Luckily working in a dealership I have access to alot of lightly used good warranty parts (garmin 742xs, t-top, etc). The antenna I'm not worried about, small issue. I have a parker 21 se located at my marina and was able to see how they factory mounted the t-top so I'm pretty confident I can make the warranty one fit with slight modifications and some starboard spacers. Its deffinitely a little bit of a project but I'm thankful I have access to kellog and mesco to help me save money. I tore the steering apart yesterday and the cable for the rotary helm was done....so I'm going hydraulic.

I also plan to rip the harmonic balancer internals out since I can hear a whine. Not to worried about a rougher idle personally.

Well just wanted to give an update since my last post. I got rid of the old cable steering and put in a new seastar system, fresh batteries, waxed rub rail down, and pulled the internals out/ blocked oil passage of the harmonic balancer on my yam 150 since it was whining. Today was my first actual day out with the boat, did roughly 30 miles distance in the annapolis area in the bay. The bay was pretty rough today (3-5 cross chop, if you live on the chesapeake you'll understand what I'm saying). Long story short, the boat was great but I completely agree with everything I read prior, without trim tabs I think I would be extremely disappointed; but with the addition of tabs this boat is solid and if I didnt have my wife and son out with me I would have really put it to the test.

Only thing I noticed is I'm only getting 5300 rpm, I know I should be getting 56-58 trimmed up with tabs in up position. Is this normal for you guys running 150's on these 21se? I'm changing the plugs tmmrw, already did all oil and filter, gear oil, fuel filters, water separators, etc. It doesnt have a misfire either. The only thing I can think of is maybe possibly cable stretch. I normally wouldnt assume that but since the shift cable needs adjustment/play (it's slightly finicky getting into true neutral) I'm assuming maybe the same for the throttle. Boat has 660 hours and everything's all original and never been adjusted so it's just a thought.

Attachments

• phpmsZ8zJPM.jpg
    phpmsZ8zJPM.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 68
  • php9kv7K3PM.jpg
    php9kv7K3PM.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 67
  • phpH3XI5KPM.jpg
    phpH3XI5KPM.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 61
You are going to love the your 21 SE. I have the 02 model with 150 2 stroke. love the boat. fished the outer banks for 15+ years and now SW Fl.
been 20-30 miles offshore and in very skinny water.
The boat will take more abuse then you will.
Some days I just go for a boat ride. travel 40-50 miles just riding other days it is hard fishing all day.
enjoy

I'm only getting 5300 rpm, I know I should be getting 56-58 trimmed up with tabs in up position. Is this normal for you guys running 150's on these 21se?

Hows the engine height? Start there.

You've got a bunch who know more than I do but........what about the prop? No guarantee that it's the right size for that boat. Given that you work in a marina it's likely that you will have access to some other props that will tell you in a hurry whether your motor is over-propped.

Hows the engine height? Start there.

Most boats when rigged have the motor set too deep dragging the lower unit thru the water.
When set properly, the cavitation plate should be just below the surface when on plane and trimmed.
If you observe that your cav plate is too deep, raise your motor the appropriate number of bolt holes.

Gsully- curious what you mean about “without trim tabs you would have been very disappointed”?

GSully,
Love your boat! I just picked up an '01 and, like you, had to do a ton of clean up and minor repairs. I'm close to the finish line on projects. Should get the livewell in this weekend. (I'm so jealous of your factory livewell BTW).

Since you're a mechanic and have the same boat I'd love your opinion on installing an access hatch on the port side of the helm. Mine has the factory door with latch on the starboard side, but I find it hard to reach the opposite side of the helm through this access point.

I recently installed a hatch into the anchor locker and was thinking of doing the same thing on the helm.

Any thoughts or concerns on compromising the structural integrity of the helm by doing so?

Appreciate any and all input. Hatch 3.jpg

Back