About to buy 04 21 se w/o sea trial, honest opinions wanted

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSully,
Love your boat! I just picked up an '01 and, like you, had to do a ton of clean up and minor repairs. I'm close to the finish line on projects. Should get the livewell in this weekend. (I'm so jealous of your factory livewell BTW).

Since you're a mechanic and have the same boat I'd love your opinion on installing an access hatch on the port side of the helm. Mine has the factory door with latch on the starboard side, but I find it hard to reach the opposite side of the helm through this access point.

I recently installed a hatch into the anchor locker and was thinking of doing the same thing on the helm.

Any thoughts or concerns on compromising the structural integrity of the helm by doing so?

Appreciate any and all input. View attachment 28965
Tunagi,

There's no structural reason that you can't install a hatch in the other side of the console. It's just 1/4" fiberglass, used to create an enclosure. As long as you don't compromise any of the corners, you should be just fine to install your hatch.

If it's intermittent access you need (such as for rigging, installation and repairs), rather than regular access, consider installing a tackle station or a drawer unit instead. It offers you the same access (i.e. a hole in the side of the console), but gives you more useful storage than a second door for the majority of the time when you don't necessarily need to get to that space. When you do, just pull the tackle center out and you've got your door. Here's how I did mine, with a frame allowing me to mount it with screws to make pulling it out even easier if need be. I've pulled it for access a few times since then; very easy, no problem reinstalling. 1997 1700 Overhaul Project

Pelagic,
Now you have my wheels turning. My thought was to install a hatch for stowing items in the helm. I'm going to lose all of the storage space under the seat/hatch in the front for trolling motor batteries. So, I was thinking another access point to the helm would be good, but I really like the trays/drawer you installed.

Gonna have to think a bit on this one. Cutting giant holes in a new (to me) boat is stressful! I want everything to look perfect.

Thanks!

Oh I know, the market is crazy at this point ( we're sold out of boats and if you want one it won't be until September). As for what pelagic said, I agree on. The only downside is you really need a custom t-top so you have access through those doors. I love the tackle tray combo you put on. It is possible to go under the front seat and access the helm, but its a pain. I took the boat down to islamorada last November for 2 weeks and had a great time except for the hurricane that was stirring everything up. I left cheeca lodge the day hurricane eta hit the keys, but I can say this boat is a dry ride and I love it. Since I work at a dealership I've had plenty of offers but this boat just fits my needs. I fish, and thats what this boat is meant for (just needs a few more rod holders)

Attachments

• 20210116_151437.jpg
    20210116_151437.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Back