Adding New GPS Map at second station

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doughboy

Reaction score
Planning on adding new 9" GPS map at second station. Would be interested in what others have done. My plan was to mount above rear window on exterior. My concerns are will it be readable in sunlight? (Garmin 942 XS Plus). Was thinking may need to create some sort of shroud to help with glare? That location seems to me to be the most convenient for both out of the way and with some protection from the elements. My other thought was to install inside cabin on centerline at the helm where it would be viewable through the open door. I'm thinking this would be my second choice being that with my old eyes not being able to see that far away clearly. Currently can't see the existing unit Garmin1242 through the window around the steering wheel at the helm while at second station. My station is not bulkhead mounted but independent a little further aft. Any ideas/pictures would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 2520 and installed the Garmin 8610 on the starboard side above the window and under the roof lip. I have a second helm station in the cockpit. I have no issues with visibility.

I have a 2520 and installed the Garmin 8610 on the starboard side above the window and under the roof lip. I have a second helm station in the cockpit. I have no issues with visibility.
What fittings/connectors did you use when drilling through the cabin wall over the window for the wires? Clam shell or something else?

What fittings/connectors did you use when drilling through the cabin wall over the window for the wires? Clam shell or something else?
Sorry, the boat is in Rhode Island and I am in Florida for the winter. I did not do the install. The dealer did it for me when I bought the boat. I seem to remember the wire went through a clamshell and caulked to seal.

I just ordered a Garmin 743xsv today for my outside mount today, not sure if I'll flush mount or use the mount I can remove and put the unit inside. I store under roof, so either way will work for me...

I installed a lowrance hds9 just above my bulkhead second station. I don't have any trouble with glare, I guess I could early in the morning or late evening with the sun at my back. I ran cable through the bulkhead and sealed them with a thru bulkhead fitting I bought at West Marine. I think it's made by T-H marine.
The fishfinder hangs from the roof on a ram mount. I was concerned it might be to heavy and move around but it's very stable and doesn't move at all.
The fishfinder is easily accessible, can be adjusted to be seen from anywhere on the deck and is pretty much out of the way when on plane from the second station.

Attachments

• Cabin Finder.jpg
    Cabin Finder.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 22
I just ordered a Garmin 743xsv today for my outside mount today, not sure if I'll flush mount or use the mount I can remove and put the unit inside. I store under roof, so either way will work for me...
They sell locks that can be installed on the mounting posts on each side.

I'm looking at either mounting this on the top of the 2nd station, or if there's space flush mount it. It'll be a tight flush mount, not sure if there is a rubber cap on the cables to seal them when not in use though.. any ideas on how to seal that area up around the wires other than a clam shell? I'm leaning towards the top mount..20220118_090730.jpg20220118_090724.jpg20220118_090711.jpg

I was considering the same options on my 2320. Did you make a decison? and if so how did it work out? With my measurements it looked like I was going to have to move the throttlw over more.

I seem to remember the wire went through a clamshell and caulked to seal.[/quote]

Typical Cheap Install. See them all the time.

Use a Blue Seas 1003 Cable Clam. Drill the hole as large as the ID hole of the Cable clam. This gives a Clean, No sealent needed, watertite pass thru. 2 holes can be drilled thru the rubber stopper of the correct size [which is slightly larger than the cables] and then a razor blade is used to slight the rubber at the holes to get the cables thru the rubber. With the 1003 you have room for 2 holes. Power wire and X-Ducer cable. Easy to install....Easy to remove.....Unlike the stainless clam shell that the hole is not big enough and it has Goop all plugged in it.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1003/CableClam_1.40in

I went with a "riser" bracket from the bass boat world, and an Evo3 12 that was too big for any location in the cabin. Mount the GPS bracket to the Panther bracket. The bracket has lots of holes and the offset is different depending on forward or reverse mount. ROCK SOLID when the heavy unit is installed, no shake at all.

With the added height of the bracket, it clears the top of the throttle by a cm or so. It looks closer in picture than it is. It could pinch the hand if I ever went full throttle while holding the top of the throttle. I always have my palm on the housing in rough water so it works perfectly for me. Around the dock it is a non-issue. The bracket combination is not the prettiest when the unit is not installed, but disappears when it is.
It may block some view from the cabin, but has not impeded me in any way as it is below line of sight.
Awesome to have the larger unit in the cockpit while fishing, and I can get the viewing angle exactly right with the riser.

Screenshot_20240209-183652.pngIMG_20240209_183049631.jpgIMG_20240209_183110354.jpgIMG_20240209_183117865.jpg

Last edited:
I've contemplated adding electronics to the second station, but I'm going to run this year without it. I have two 10" screens in the house, one on a swing arm that centers the screen almost center to the pilot house door. If the door is open and you are on the deck you can see it pretty well. Easy to see the other screen looking through the window into the house at the second station.

I might still add one, but considering the all the issues discussed in this thread, I'm going to try my current setup first.

I've contemplated adding electronics to the second station, but I'm going to run this year without it. I have two 10" screens in the house, one on a swing arm that centers the screen almost center to the pilot house door. If the door is open and you are on the deck you can see it pretty well. Easy to see the other screen looking through the window into the house at the second station.

I might still add one, but considering the all the issues discussed in this thread, I'm going to try my current setup first.
Can you send a picture of the screen in the center. I have a 12" in the dash and would like to mount another 12 the way your reffering too. Thanks

that looks really good exactly what I want. Is that a Ram Mount or do you have a model number for it? You can see my helm now through the door. View attachment 39337

The mount is definitely a RAM mount. The spacing between the adjustment knobs is right at 6 inches. The base and two 6" arms. Super solid and well built. Hope that helps.

image_50387969.JPG

Back