Anchor Light Upgrade

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
Early this season I modified my mast light to hold LED replacement festoon bulbs. They gave me good service, but I wanted something a little better.

Since there are very few good looking LED anchor lights that will fold down, and are of a sufficient height to clear my rocket launchers, I decided to do some surgery today.

I bought an all around LED light with the head that I needed, but the mounting post and base was too small for my application. So... I took the head of the new light, and mated it to the base that I already have. Here is the process...

Here was my anchor light. It worked well, but it wasn't that I wanted...

Image-B8758A92053511DA.jpg

This is the head unit that I wanted to use.

Image-B875B002053511DA.jpg

Drill out the pop rivet on the old head, and separate the wires.

Image-B875D5D2053511DA.jpg

Separate the head unit from the new light, and get the wiring ready.

Image-B875FB40053511DA.jpg

Crimp, heatshrink, and stuff everything down in the tube.

Image-B8762078053511DA.jpg

Seal it with marine silicone, attach it with a ss screw, and you're done!

Image-B87675F1053511DA.jpg

Hi Capt. Kevin,
I did the exact same modification to my boat. I used the same brand of light and mounted the head to the old post. The problem I had was condensation forming inside the lamp housing. After only a few months, only the upper row of LEDs were working. I returned it to the manufacturer who sent me a new one. The new one has been on one season and has also developed condensation inside the housing but so far, the LEDs have continued to work. I constantly have my eyes peeled for a little higher quality model that won't break the bank.
Good Luck

Getting reading to get the same light you guys have after reading post about condensation i am having second thoughts have you come acroos any other brands yet, I have not except perko which has one that goes for about $100.00

They don't show it on their web site, but I saw a Hella all-around white LED fold-down light at the end of last season. It was in one of our local marine supply stores.

FWIW - I have not had any fogging problem with my Sea-Sense head unit.

folks,

i also did exactly this job a few years back, but my motive wasnt the
led light with it`s reduced draw and lifetime durability.....my motive was
the new light that perko came out with that puts "gain" on the light so it
wont bounce light off the bowrail into the pilot house.....protection of night
vision is critical in my opinion.....i also added a subbuss and put a switch
on the dash to cut off all dashlights except the compass, which has a red
light in it.....i can darken the whole cabin totally save for the compass at
night, and the new perko anchor light puts not a photon into my retinae
now.......dan

This may be my next replacement anchor / nav light when / if my current Sea Sense model dies again. Haven't seen it in any stores yet and don't know about price. This may be the "Hella" brand that Megabyte saw.

Attachments

• NaviLED360_news2.jpg
    NaviLED360_news2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,271
I almost bought that Hella light but I didn't like the fact that it only has 1 LED. What if it blows out for some reason in the middle of a night run? You'd be left in the dark. It's not like you can just replace the bulb.

I went with the Perko LED light instead. It's very bright and looks good. I think it was $135.00. It has multiple LEDs like the Seasense unit. At least if an LED burns out prematurely, you still have another dozen or so.

Dom

My buddy and I both put one of those Sea Sense mast lights on our boats, his has condesation mine does not have it yet. What do you guys think of drilling a small hole on the underside of light to get some air in there i am talking about 1/16" in the bottom black housing to the rear. Thoughts?

Parker23":qo6ssl0t said:
My buddy and I both put one of those Sea Sense mast lights on our boats, his has condesation mine does not have it yet. What do you guys think of drilling a small hole on the underside of light to get some air in there i am talking about 1/16" in the bottom black housing to the rear. Thoughts?

I think... if you have condensation, it might be something to try.
If you don't... I'd leave it alone. :D

Back