Another Tab question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Rover

Reaction score
I want to upgrade the std 12x12 Lenco's on my 2520 XLDV this offseason. Was thinking of the Bennetts that everyone on here seems to love, but I suspect that it would be mush easier and cheaper to just upgrade the blade on the Lenco's.....has anyone tried upgrading the Lenco blades....am I missing something ?

Any feedback on the best compromise between performance, price and effort on this upgrade would be most appreciated.

Thanks !

Does Lenco offer 12x24, 9x24, or 30" tabs? Lencos do not have a great reputation for lasting a long time. Some of us (including me) had rather bite the bullet and change out now rather than spend on tabs only and have to replace other parts later.

I'm thinking you'll have to move your actuators over (towards center) to keep wider tabs out of the "reverse chine" area at the edges of your hull.

I upgraded my Lenco 12x12 to Bennett 12x24. The performance on my 2320 improved considerably and I'm very happy about the upgrade. I bought the whole Bennett kit but so far I have only upgraded the tabs. I moved the Lenco actuators so that they were properly located in the middle of the 12x24 tabs. I obtained fittings from Lenco which makes the Lenco actuator hole pattern identical to the Bennett actuator hole patterns. I figured that when my Lenco actuators die I will switch over to the Bennett hydraulic system. Until then I am still able to use the Lenco switch and wiring that came with my boat. I discussed the details of the changeover on another post to Classicparker.com.
This job required some work including patching some old holes and drilling some new ones in the transom. Nevertheless it was well worth the effort.

Good luck.

I thought I was the only one that hated the Lenco tabs. I have a 2310WA and have concluded as others apparently have, that the 12x12 tabs is simply too small for such a heavy boat.
I have had extensive experience with the Bennetts and recommend them unequivocally. Very reliable. I am in the midst of a repower so am not ready to address that issue. When the time comes i will upgrade with Bennetts.

Ok, I keep hearing about trim tabs. I have had a '93 2520 for 10 years w/a 200 yahama. Have never had them. What am I missing. I see other boats in the slips near me and they just seem to sprout barnacles. More drag and holes in the boat? Why do you need them? Thanks

duckbutler":3eggokea said:
Ok, I keep hearing about trim tabs. Have never had them. What am I missing?
FWIW I have Bennett 9" chord (projection OFF the hull) by 24" span (width ACROSS hull) tabs on my '92 vintage Paker mod-V with 225hp Johnson V6 dirty ;) 2-stroke OB.

Benefits:

• * Quicker time to plane
    * Ability to run on plane @ MUCH lower planing speed (~12-14 knots vs. higher)
    * Negate chop in small, confused seas
    * Faster and smoother speed in above small, confused seas
    * 10% to 20% improvement in miles-per-gallon fuel efficiency when dialing in my tab position(s) using my MPG readout via my fuel computer & linked GPS
    * Significant improvement in sea keeping ability and ride in HEAVY seas
    * Boat tracks better in turns when running with OB at 'optimal' trim/tilt position for efficient thrust and with trim tabs at optimal position for ride versus fuel economy concerns.

When in doubt, use the search feature. There are MANY testimonials here and on other boards of the positive effects of using * properly sized trim tabs.

Note: * It is the opinion of this poster that while the OEM Lenco tabs 'work' ... they are no where as efficient as a properly sized and affixed trim tab, regardless of brand. IMHO these boats (mod-V & Xls) need a minimim of 216 square inches of tabs, whether 24x9 (better choice) or 18x12.

Bajadude,

I am a neighbor in HB. I changed out my original 12x12 Lencos for 12x24 tabs. I used Bennett tabs but so far am keeping my Lenco actuators. If and when the actuators die, I will switch over to the Bennett hydraulic system. I am very pleased with the performance of my 2320 with the bigger tabs.

bajadude":inac8leq said:
What's the biggest Benett tabs that will fit the 23' DV hull?

I believe that FishFactory put 12x24 Bennetts on his 23.
ESFishDoc put a set of 12x30 Bennetts on his 2520 MVSC.
My 2520 MVSC is wearing a set of 9x24 Bennetts. :wink:

If you're worried about cost, buy a used set of Bennett tabs. You'll get nearly the same level of support as a new set anyway. :)

My boats will never wear anything but Bennetts! :)

Back