Any idea on how to get the anchor to self launch?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Andy is your anchor a 22lb?

I think I figured out why mine isn't dropping. I have a claw anchor and I think the way the arm is designed with a 90 degree bend, it doesn't give it the ability to just roll off.

Just tested a 14lb Delta anchor and it almost want to drop. Thinking of jumping to a 22lb

Hi Cheapie, I believe you are right about the problem possibly being with your claw anchor; I've had claws, Bruce, and even a 35 lb CQR (previous boats) that would NOT self-deploy....
Our Parker came with the 14 lb. Delta. One of the first things I did when we got the boat was replace the 14 lb. with a 22 lb Delta... (The 14 is not big enough for our boat, imho)...
The 14 lb. would not self-deploy, but then at first, even the 22 lb. would not self-deploy. I knew of others who had no issues/problems with their 22 lb. Deltas, as theirs all self-deployed. That is when I found our anchor-roller bolt to be too short, and it was over-tightened to the point where the roller would not roll. After replacing the anchor roller bolt, adding a couple washers, lubricating it all, the anchor now self-deployed.... I don't know if it would have self-deployed with the 14 lb Delta, but I think it might have (I'll never know at this time ☺).... I posted a couple Youtube videos of the 'bolt-replacement' and of the 22 lb Delta now 'self-deploying'... In fact I think I re-posted them here when we first were talking with you about your issue?... If I remember correctly, you mentioned that your roller was fine; that it rolled freely? If so, I'd have to believe a 22 lb. Delta would work like it does on ours and other CP folks....
@Andy is your anchor a 22lb?

I think I figured out why mine isn't dropping. I have a claw anchor and I think the way the arm is designed with a 90 degree bend, it doesn't give it the ability to just roll off.

Just tested a 14lb Delta anchor and it almost want to drop. Thinking of jumping to a 22lb

@Andy yes you did and I watch your video over and over to see what's missing then I realized it was my damn claw anchor. Don't forget I have a 2120 so the 14lb might be just right but it's never a bad thing to have a slightly heavier anchor. I think I'll return the 14lb and grab the 22lb. The claw anchor was 16lb so adding 6lb to the Lewmar 700 shouldn't be an issue. Rather have more than wish I had more.

@Andy yes you did and I watch your video over and over to see what's missing then I realized it was my damn claw anchor. Don't forget I have a 2120 so the 14lb might be just right but it's never a bad thing to have a slightly heavier anchor. I think I'll return the 14lb and grab the 22lb. The claw anchor was 16lb so adding 6lb to the Lewmar 700 shouldn't be an issue. Rather have more than wish I had more.
Yes, I agree.... The 22 would not be too big for your boat; it would be a good match....
In most ways when it come to anchors, Bigger is Better!

Last edited:
Over the winter I replaced my 2530's Powerwinch Sport Fish 400 with an E-Z Anchor Puller "Patriot EZ-3". What an amazing improvement in the entire anchoring process! The Powerwinch would never let the anchor (Rocna 10) self launch and it would constantly jam on retrieval. There always had to be someone on the bow with a big screwdriver to pry out jams.

The E-Z needs no one on the bow. It self-drops as soon as I hit the switch. It retrieves the anchor and stows the line with no one on the bow to assist. This was very much appreciated last weekend in the rain and the cold as I sat snugly in the pilothouse!

I have a 2320 with a 14 pounder. I was fooling with it yesterday and with it TIGHTLY locked in it would develop enough forward motion to go over. Without it being locked in tight, it would not. It still does not solve the problem of the control arm jamming beside the rode. Mine does it every time on the water.
A new 200 dollar anchor or $1000 winch is not in the cards for me considering they both came with the boat.

I have a 2320 with a 14 pounder. I was fooling with it yesterday and with it TIGHTLY locked in it would develop enough forward motion to go over. Without it being locked in tight, it would not. It still does not solve the problem of the control arm jamming beside the rode. Mine does it every time on the water.
A new 200 dollar anchor or $1000 winch is not in the cards for me considering they both came with the boat.
I solved this jam buy taking all the rode off the boat and soaking it overnight in a mixture of bleach and fabric softener. I then manually put it back in the locker. I believe the softer rode and minimal twist does the job, I do it every winter now and have not had the jamming problem since.

I solved this jam buy taking all the rode off the boat and soaking it overnight in a mixture of bleach and fabric softener. I then manually put it back in the locker. I believe the softer rode and minimal twist does the job, I do it every winter now and have not had the jamming problem since.
Man, good tip. I have used fabric softener on cast nets and it works well. Plus that doesn't cost any hardware. I will try it for sure. I usually just clip the lanyard around the control arm to keep it in the air until the proper scope is out. I spray painted a color coding on the rope, further adding to the stiffness. I glassed up my anchor locker drain and installed an overboard drain.. I could just plug that and dump 5 gallons of water/fabric softener mix in there and let it sit overnight.

Last edited:
The splice probably needs to be redone. I re-splice mine about once a year. If it is 3 plat it is relatively easy. 8 plat is a little more difficult; but, very doable. A good soak in fabric softener helps also.
Thanks Antidote. What size rope do you have? I have a 2820 and it has 5/8" 3-strand (I think 300ft). Discovered some issues in the line Sunday - need to replace it. Wondering if I can use 9/16" - local store has enough in stock, thinking of getting 400ft or so (seems like there would be enough room in the locker). Think this would be sufficient size?

Thanks Antidote. What size rope do you have? I have a 2820 and it has 5/8" 3-strand (I think 300ft). Discovered some issues in the line Sunday - need to replace it. Wondering if I can use 9/16" - local store has enough in stock, thinking of getting 400ft or so (seems like there would be enough room in the locker). Think this would be sufficient size?

Mine is 1/2" on a 2520xld. If you are using a windless you can't change the size of the rode without changing the capstan.

Thank you Antidote - My dealer said that Lewmar advises/recommends/prefers you use their anchor rode made specifically for their windlasses. Since I have a Lewmar Profish 700, recommended size for my 2820 is 1/2 (says ok for boats up to 35'). Going with the 8-plait, have not been happy with how the 3-strand has been handling in the past (jamming in the hawse pipe, etc.)

I solved this jam by drilling the control arm and putting a bolt, washer and nylock nut in there, and cut the end of flush.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_192323229.jpg
    IMG_20220515_192323229.jpg
    1,006.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220515_192303448.jpg
    IMG_20220515_192303448.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20220515_192230957.jpg
    IMG_20220515_192230957.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220515_192252657.jpg
    IMG_20220515_192252657.jpg