Any wisdom on reducing the pounding?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapie408

Reaction score
I was out yesterday on a 3 hour rt 50 ish miles. Reports say it was 4 to 5ft at 14s which winds at 6 to 8 mph which all was to me great conditions.

I have everything upgrades to keep the bow down and had no issues doing so. I think it's just me being inexperience with this boat. Me and the 3 passenger are all beat up today.

I was traveling 20 to 25 mph. I did managed to get it to decent levels on the way in but having the trim around mid way and keeping the bow up but couldn't help with the occasional slamming. How is everyone steering their boats in contrast to the waves to reduce slamming?

Get a bigger boat!
Just kidding, What boat are we talking?
2320 would be ideal for usability but not good for where I park or tow with a 1500 Silverado.

I have a 2120, permatrim and 4 blades prop and trim tabs.

You should not get beat up that weather forecast.

Do you slow down at all or do you just run through it all?

What I’m getting at is you have to learn your boat and how to read the seas.

while running you need to learn the sea states and when you need to slow down, and when you can speed up.

hope this helps. Good luck.

You should not get beat up that weather forecast.

Do you slow down at all or do you just run through it all?

What I’m getting at is you have to learn your boat and how to read the seas.

while running you need to learn the sea states and when you need to slow down, and when you can speed up.

hope this helps. Good luck.
And what are your expectations? Any boat can/will pound given the right conditions. (ANY boat; Freeman, Fountain, Buddy Davis, Cigarette, Formula, CT, Parker... I won't name them all! ☺).... There is not much on earth 'less uniform' than ocean waves. You can be running along in seemingly uniform seas, and that next one, or a few, non-uniform waves, (on average, every 7th wave) can be significantly 'different' than the previous waves. Those can pound you. Even on the rare dead-calm days, a 'surprise' wave can give you a jolt.... Like A-K mentioned, you can lesson the beating by learning the different characteristics of your boat, and how it handles different situations....

Last edited:
Reactions: A-K
Yes I do slow down where I can, I range 15-25 mph.

On my 21ft Striper, it doesn't pound this way. For the most part, once i find a comfortable cruising speed, it'll ride along and only occassionally slam but not pounding the way the parker down. The striper was a much more comfortable ride, this is very different than what I'm used to.

One of the major issues with running a pilot house boat is that you are much further forward in the boat then you are in a center console boat. You will feel the pounding much more. I have been running a 2520 for many years. There is little you can do other than to read the seas and adjust your running to match the sea conditions. Or get a Deep-V boat and operate it from further back in the boat.

One of the easiest ways to lessen the pounding significantly is to let a true shock-mitigation system take the pounding for you. Lots of Parker owners (and the Parker factory) have discovered Seaspension many years ago. Some Parker Dealers won't sell a boat without it. www.seaspension.com

One of the easiest ways to lessen the pounding significantly is to let a true shock-mitigation system take the pounding for you. Lots of Parker owners (and the Parker factory) have discovered Seaspension many years ago. Some Parker Dealers won't sell a boat without it. www.seaspension.com
I'm looking into this as well

Yes I do slow down where I can, I range 15-25 mph.

On my 21ft Striper, it doesn't pound this way. For the most part, once i find a comfortable cruising speed, it'll ride along and only occassionally slam but not pounding the way the parker down. The striper was a much more comfortable ride, this is very different than what I'm used to.

Did you have any experience riding in any Parker prior to your current acquisition?

Reports say it was 4 to 5ft at 14s which winds at 6 to 8

Reports are just predicted height
With 4-5 you probably had some 5,6,7
If not glass on top it can beat you up when you run off the tops

just have to adjust speed to ride that suits your comfort level

At 2-3 14 seconds would be a smooth ride

at 4-5 I would stay in bed and sleep in

Reports say it was 4 to 5ft at 14s which winds at 6 to 8

Reports are just predicted height
With 4-5 you probably had some 5,6,7
If not glass on top it can beat you up when you run off the tops

just have to adjust speed to ride that suits your comfort level

At 2-3 14 seconds would be a smooth ride

at 4-5 I would stay in bed and sleep in
LOL, if I waited for 2-3 14s, I would be sleeping almost year round here. You guys down there are spoiled. 4-5 over 14s is consider a great day for us in NorCal. I stay home when it's over 6 recordless of the interval or when it's closer to 10s.

Usually late fall to early spring is when we get calmer seas but we deal with the cold and rain. It sucks here because we would hit the water at the crack of dawn and race in after 12pm because that's when the winds pick up during the summer, I think we average 12 knots in the afternoon. I tend to go out once a week and I remember having 2 glass days this year.

LOL, if I waited for 2-3 14s, I would be sleeping almost year round here. You guys down there are spoiled. 4-5 over 14s is consider a great day for us in NorCal. I stay home when it's over 6 recordless of the interval or when it's closer to 10s.

Usually late fall to early spring is when we get calmer seas but we deal with the cold and rain. It sucks here because we would hit the water at the crack of dawn and race in after 12pm because that's when the winds pick up during the summer, I think we average 12 knots in the afternoon. I tend to go out once a week and I remember having 2 glass days this year.

I fish in the NW and yes I agree 4-5 at 14 sec is a go fishing day every time.

I added a pair of Pro Pedestals in the spring after 6 seasons on my 2520 xld. It has helped take that jolt when coming down on a good chop. I feel the best way to ease the pain is learning how to trim your boat properly and probably pulling back your throttle to adjust to sea conditions

I feel the best way to ease the pain is learning how to trim your boat properly and probably pulling back your throttle to adjust to sea conditions

You are 100% correct.

I put almost 2000 hours on my original engine and now have 617 on my second engine. All of those hours running in the Atlantic Ocean in a Parker 2520 Mod-V April-November slipped in Connecticut. My Parker has served me very well in a wide range of weather conditions and I have caught tens of thousands of pounds of fish from Scup to Bluefin Tuna and everything in between and dove dozens of offshore shipwrecks from my Parker. Great boat BUT the boat has it’s limitations in terms of THE RIDE. Many pluses of the Parker Pilot House and the boats have excellent drift characteristic BUT Parker Pilot House boats are limited in terms of speed & comfort in less then calm conditions, particularly when running into a HEAD SEA.

You can make things “better” with engine and trim tabs but some days, you just gotta SLOW DOWN. I have run plenty of days when 12-14 knots is maximum speed unless you wanna shake out the filings and the discs in the spine.

Refusal to slow down = BEAT DOWN!

I also find weight distribution is extremely important in terms of both ride & performance when the sea state is less then calm. Moving the weight as far FORWARD as possible makes for a big difference on the ride and also fuel economy. When hauling passengers or cargo in the cockpit, get those people and coolers as far forward in the cockpit as possible, it really does make a difference.....

Last edited:
By design we ride more forward on a pilot house boat. There are compromises for this:

Pros:
Huge cockpit compared to other boats this size
Stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter
Stay dry- whether it is from rain or salt spray

Con:
You will feel the chop, bangs and bumps more(just like if you moved farther forward on almost any boat)

Parkers are not built to eat up the chop/slice through the waves like a deep such as a regulator, albemarle, yellowfin, etc.

We have a 16 degree deadrise and added 4 blade props and permatrims so have done about as much as we can to mitigate (outside of Seaspension seat posts). Overall, we do have to slow down to make the ride more comfortable-it happens. So it adds 15-20 minutes to a 25 mile trip but, that is a compromise we are ok with.

Most days when Im trying to run 20-22 knots I dont take my hand off the throttle. When I see or feel a bigger wave I momentarily chop the throttle to bring the bow down. Usually I dont even come off plane before Im back on it. Its work but it saves you and the boat. Also sometimes when I feel the boat
leap Ill crank the wheel about a quarter turn, it can make for a softer landing but its a little tricky. No matter what you do, you are always going to take a couple of shocks. Its the nature of the beast. Slow down, enjoy the ride :)

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to learn how to use this boat properly. Gone are the days of set the throttle and drive.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to learn how to use this boat properly. Gone are the days of set the throttle and drive.

2120 is a great boat for its size, very capable, but a comfortable ride is something it will never accomplish. Least comfortable boat I’ve ever been on, but really solid and fishable.

I drive a 2004 2520 with a new 300 Suzuki…. My last boat was a 25’ CHawk pilot house. Similar design…but he Parker ride, now that I have a Parker, is a million times better than the chawk! I fish New England; lots of chop and it’s a joy (compared to last boat!)

Back