Anyone using a 4 Blade prop or Permatrim?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinwuf

Reaction score
I have tried a few props on my 2310 w/F225 (2004 model, full transom & bracket, bottom paint, hard top, etc), trying to find that "perfect" prop. For speed, the 17" pitch Yam SWS was best, but I could not turn up the 5,500 rpm's recommended by Yam.

Tried a 15" pitch SWS and that puts me right on 6,000 rpm @ wot, but midgrange speeds fell.

I'm not so concerned with WOT speed, as long as I stay in the recommended RPM range.

Would like to re-gain the lost midrange speed from the 17P (3-5 mph), reduce porpoising (have to keep trim tucked in - too far IMO) and lastly, hold on plane at lower speed. Hole shot is pretty good considering the weight of the boat and the power of the F225, so do not want to lose anything there.

Is anyone running a 4 blade on a single engine 23 or 25, WA or PH? If so, please share what prop and numbers. I hear good things about Power-tech OFS and Merc Mirage on other boats, but can not find anyone running one on a Parker. Those babies are a little pricey to be buying for trial and error.

What about a permatrim or similar device? Anyone running one of them?

Edit: After reading what I posted and realizing it really doesn't help you I offer this - Try a larger diameter prop in the 15 inch pitch to help recapture the mid range speed and bring your rpm down slightly. Try the black steel props, I have been impressed by them. The thoughts of drilling a few holes into my cav plate make me shudder! I will leave the rest of my response for others to read as a basic prop primer-

See if you can get a dealer to let you try some props out or catch some on eBay for cheap as a replacement. I just bought a 13-3/4 X 17 black steel brand new ITB for $100. I have been experimenting with props for the last two years and I'm getting the motor dialed in pretty good. The polished stainless series props from Yamaha (factory issued) did not perform well for me. The black steel props have been much better - I just removed a 15-1/4 X 15 from the motor and I was pleased with it except for max rpm's (5400). A local prop shop guy (a real old salt) pushed me in this direction rather than sell me a more expensive polished stainless. He said that the Parker is a heavy boat and needs a prop with less cup, not a four blade (?). I listened but I'm not sure I understood.

I keep each successive prop as a spare onboard with an extra castle nut kit. If you spin a hub or severely damage a blade while out there, you will wish you had a replacement. Floating prop wrench is nice too. Getting the cotter key out is the most difficult thing to do IF you have kept the prop from seizing on the shaft. Remove and regrease with your favorite anti-seize at least once per year.

Everyone I meet thinks I need to put a shiny stainless prop on my boat. When I tell them I had one but sold it, they think I'm crazy! I would love to hear some experiences with some four blade props, particularly the Solas brand. Props are definitely a try it first item. You can't tell what they will do until they're on the boat and in the water. I have spent time with the prop slip calculators and all that stuff, but in the end it is how they feel and respond while running that makes or breaks it for me.

I would like to know I have the best prop possible BEFORE I get into any fins.

Since ParkerSal linked to my response, I don't need to say a whole lot more.

I'm happy with what I did, and the sound of the drill going through the anti-ventilation plates didn't bother me a bit. :D :D :D

Back