Anyone want to help get my Yamaha running this year?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake2320

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

This is what we have going on, and I was hoping to get some help-

The last time motor was used was last August (shameful) and the last time gas was put in. We use Startron and Ring Free on every fill up EXCEPT before last fill up we ran out. We ended up adding Startron afterwards and ran it on the muffs. We did a VST clean out, changed ALL of the filters, fogged in the plug holes and she went to bed.

This year all we are getting is a crank and very little turnover.

This is what we have done so far-

Checked for spark-strong
charged batteries
changed water separator and fuel cup
changed spark plugs
took out VST and recleaned
checked low pressure pump on 12v- good
checked HP pump on 12v- was a little sticky, worked fine after a tap on its side
put motor on pony tank with fresh fuel- drained motor mounted cup and VST a few times to try and get fresh gas in
last we tried a little (2 drops per) gas in each spark plug hole

The best we got was 2 seconds of running after redoing VST.

We have tried all different throttle positions also.

It is a Yamaha F225TXR 4 stroke 04/06.

The motor is turning strong like she wants to turn over. My gut tells me that the fuel in there was not properly stabilized (just dumped in tank and run for a few minutes) and something is gummed up.

Anybody have an idea where to go next? I have heard bad things about using starting fluid on these motors, anybody? Should I do the dunk's decarb (or Dale's version)?

I really could use some help or some tricks to try before I gotta give in.

Thanks, Jake2320

My bro's Honda fuel injected 130hp 4-stroke acted like that once and we ended up having the injectors cleaned. Went to a hot rod shop .... faster/better service and cheaper than anything/anywhere 'marine' related.

Did you add fuel back to the VST after you drained it?

-- Tom

Dale- We did think the injectors could be at fault since we didn't really see/smell gas on the plugs after trying to start. They look pretty easy to take out, so we may look further into them.

Tom-We did not fill the VST with fuel before installing, we used the primer bulb. This is what we did last year to fill the VST and it worked, do you think this is not right? When I bled the VST via the bleeder screw on the bottom there was fuel, but the VST was not full. I'd say 1/4-1/3 full.

Thanks for the replies.

Jake

I just wanted to make sure you added gas back into the VST tank after draining - either by filling manually or by using the primer bulb. I've forgotten that step in the past and wondered why the engine wouldn't start.

-- Tom

I'm not familiar with 4-Stroke VST, but can you hook up a fuel pressure gauge to it like you can with 2-stroke?

-- Tom

Back