Armstrong Ladder

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have tips, pics and recommendations for attaching my new Armstrong ladder to the platform? We have a 2520 with twin 200 Yams.

Armstrong ladder aka Pogo Stick
I would not have one.
Always a hassle to store.....How would you attach it if you were by yourself and fell in the water? When they are carried across the transom.....Can get in the way of engine tilt and they always seem to snag fishing lines.

Attachments

• 100_5701.JPG
    100_5701.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 44
Armstrong ladder aka Pogo Stick
I would not have one.
Always a hassle to store.....How would you attach it if you were by yourself and fell in the water? When they are carried across the transom.....Can get in the way of engine tilt and they always seem to snag fishing lines.
We scuba, other wise the existing ladder would be fine. We will also keep the existing ladder and eventually move it to the port side. Thank you for the input.

Most people I know that scuba.....Have a custom permenent ladder built as weight on the ladder and ease of use with gear on present problems ...as you know.

A Pogo stick affords no where to grab above the water.....also tanks getting slamed into side of engine cowl as you try to climb out.

We scuba, other wise the existing ladder would be fine. We will also keep the existing ladder and eventually move it to the port side. Thank you for the input.
I agree with Warthogs assessment; the Armstrong ladder on our 2520 is the worst boarding ladder we have had on any of our boats. I used to dive so I understand the reasoning about the
'open-end' construction being an advantage when wearing fins, but the ladder does not fit snugly in the built-in bracket so the ladder moves left-to right causing feet to constantly slip out the sides. This occurs when wearing fins, bare feet, or water-shoes. Also, there are no hand-holds which are needed, especially when suited-up for diving..... The only reason I have not replaced it yet is I'm reluctant to drill holes in the aluminum Armstrong platform.... If you would like to try out the Armstrong ladder I would be happy to let you try ours; we are near Belhaven, NC...

Last edited:
Most people I know that scuba.....Have a custom permenent ladder built as weight on the ladder and ease of use with gear on present problems ...as you know.

A Pogo stick affords no where to grab above the water.....also tanks getting slamed into side of engine cowl as you try to climb out.
I can appreciate this. I have to tell you where we’re coming from. We went from a 1995 19’ CC Cape Horn to the 2520. Our Cape had a pogo stick ladder as well. I would love to have a custom ladder but I’ve got a few other projects for the boat too. Need rocket launchers. Nothing about this boat our brand new boat has been affordable 😂. So, pogo stick it is. Maybe if I win the lotto, custom! Ty.

View attachment 30558This is my ladder. Has anyone mounted one? Should I center it or go more to starboard.
Judging by your picture, it looks like Armstrong as changed/improved the Pogo Stick over the years. Our 2013 version is much different. The one pictured here has thicker and flatter steps. And the double-bolt bracket looks like an improvement too.

I agree with Warthogs assessment; the Armstrong ladder on our 2520 is the worst boarding ladder we have had on any of our boats. I used to dive so I understand the reasoning about the
'open-end' construction being an advantage when wearing fins, but the ladder does not fit snugly in the built-in bracket so the ladder moves left-to right causing feet to constantly slip out the sides. This occurs when wearing fins, bare feet, or water-shoes. Also, there are no hand-holds which are needed, especially when suited-up for diving..... The only reason I have not replaced it yet is I'm reluctant to drill holes in the aluminum Armstrong platform.... If you would like to try out the Armstrong ladder I would be happy to let you try ours; we are near Belhaven, NC...
Long drive from Pensacola, Florida, otherwise we’d take you up on your offer and we’re committed now to this ladder. Ty!

The only reason I have not replaced it yet is I'm reluctant to drill holes in the aluminum Armstrong platform....

It does take some extra care.
Isolating the stainless from the alum is key....So....It gets nylon bushings installed between the bolts and holes in the alum. nylon flat washers aginst the alum..then the stainless flat washer. TefGel is your friend here...Look it up.

Isolating the stainless from the alum is key....So....It gets nylon bushings installed between the bolts and holes in the alum. nylon flat washers aginst the alum..then the stainless flat washer. TefGel is your friend here...Look it up.
Thank you... I'll research the TefGel... I've heard you mention it before.

I mounted mine on the corner so it wouldn’t interfere with the motor if left down and put some grab handles

Attachments

• 889A785E-B6E9-45FB-93B2-D02B471993A8.jpeg
    889A785E-B6E9-45FB-93B2-D02B471993A8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • F25F65C9-F21A-4D69-87E5-F5316234D5F6.jpeg
    F25F65C9-F21A-4D69-87E5-F5316234D5F6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Hi Warthog, I meant to mention that I am aware of dissimilar-metals issues, and thank you for mentioning to 'sleeve' the S/S bolts in the Armstrong bracket. I started noticing a small amount of corrosion on the Diamond SeaGlaze windows in the pilothouse. I removed every S/S screw from all the Diamond SeaGlaze windows, added a nylon washer, and soaked the screws in Fluid Film when I re-installed them. (I posted a video on this on Youtube). With your advice, I will now re-do this project using the TufGel. Do you think I need to remove/clean off the Fluid Film?

Yes Hook Shot

Andy....The Tef Gel would have been a better product for the screws...Yes I use Fluid Film for things also. Its a good product to spray down your Powerhead under the Cowl.

James D...Now there is a purpose built dive ladder.

I think this is a good layout with a grab handle, not so much the ladder on top of the bracket.

Attachments

• 20210616_101334.jpg
    20210616_101334.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210616_101338.jpg
    20210616_101338.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210616_101347.jpg
    20210616_101347.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 42
I think this is a good layout with a grab handle, not so much the ladder on top of the bracket.
I had one like that it came apart with one of my divers on it luckily he was on the bottom rung when it came loose. I used the mounts and built the ladder above

Anyone have tips, pics and recommendations for attaching my new Armstrong ladder to the platform? We have a 2520 with twin 200 Yams.
Wanted to show off the end product. Thanks for all the info.

Attachments

• EFCACE5D-B7A7-4A6C-B63D-9025928C493A.jpeg
    EFCACE5D-B7A7-4A6C-B63D-9025928C493A.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 33E46CF7-591E-4E1B-836B-C17FA843FC9F.jpeg
    33E46CF7-591E-4E1B-836B-C17FA843FC9F.jpeg
    476.7 KB · Views: 46
Back