Autopilot performance at speed?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelagic2530

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested in other member's feedback. Most likely installing the Simrad AP44 VRF autopilot system as part of my electronics upgrade. We run out of Indian River DE and, save for the nice months in the summer, are generally running in slight to considerable slop. Fairly frequent course corrections are needed to keep the boat on track, which does get tiring over a long period.

I've used autopilots on everything up to 800' containerships, but the smallest has been a 45' sportfisherman. For those of you that have installed them in Parkers, how is their performance when running at cruising speed, vs. just trolling around? Is it a tool that you can use on long runs out to the site? And if so, what kinds of weather conditions are you able to use it in and/or when does it become "too rough" for the AP?

Mostly just want to gauge, for the expense, how much use it's likely to get. TIA!

Interested in other member's feedback. Most likely installing the Simrad AP44 VRF autopilot system as part of my electronics upgrade. We run out of Indian River DE and, save for the nice months in the summer, are generally running in slight to considerable slop. Fairly frequent course corrections are needed to keep the boat on track, which does get tiring over a long period.

I've used autopilots on everything up to 800' containerships, but the smallest has been a 45' sportfisherman. For those of you that have installed them in Parkers, how is their performance when running at cruising speed, vs. just trolling around? Is it a tool that you can use on long runs out to the site? And if so, what kinds of weather conditions are you able to use it in and/or when does it become "too rough" for the AP?

Mostly just want to gauge, for the expense, how much use it's likely to get. TIA!

I own a Raymarine Evolution EV-200. It’s been in 6 years now. I almost never hand steer my boat. Typically my fishing trips are in the ocean featuring 4-6 hours of engine run time. Most days I will not hand steer the boat for even 10 minutes the entire day and those 10 minutes are maneuvering in and out of the slip. My autopilot works at speeds from troll to full throttle.

The only time it’s “too rough” for the autopilot is when it’s too rough for the hull to plow straight ahead through sea condition. My autopilot will steer the boat on assigned heading or track through just about anything but if it’s so rough that you’re needing to jog the boat around big waves and troughs, well the autopilot can’t see the sea state, all it knows is the course or heading you tell it to steer. When it’s that rough that I am jogging around big waves or troughs, which is very rare and typically unplanned, I will hand steer the boat. That’s not because the autopilot can’t steer the boat straight in those conditions , it’s because I don’t want to plow straight ahead through those conditions.

As stated I have the Raymarine Evolution EV-200. When I put my autopilot in the Raymarine Evolution EV-150 was not yet being offered. The Raymarine Evolution EV-150 is likely more then adequate for a Parker 2520 or smaller Parker.

As for value of the autopilot, aside from my RADAR. which I few as essential for safety for how I fish my boat, the autopilot is absolutely awesome. I LOVE it and I use my boat probably twice as much as I would having the autopilot as I would without. It’s worth every cent I paid and the work of installing it and if it failed, I will replace it with another Raymarine Evolution Autopilot. My satisfaction is 100%.

Last edited:
Thanks Mpellet! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm going with the Simrad AP44 as part of an overall Simrad electronics upgrade, and because I have an fully functioning (I tested) RPU80 pump from a long-dead AP system, so I can shave about $900 off the price of the install.

I was probably fine with installing the AP simply for trolling so someone doesn't have to constantly steer the boat (always keeping a lookout, of course), but I'm excited to hear that perhaps a 20 mile run to the offshore wrecks could become a little less of a chore.

Thanks Mpellet! That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm going with the Simrad AP44 as part of an overall Simrad electronics upgrade, and because I have an fully functioning (I tested) RPU80 pump from a long-dead AP system, so I can shave about $900 off the price of the install.

I was probably fine with installing the AP simply for trolling so someone doesn't have to constantly steer the boat (always keeping a lookout, of course), but I'm excited to hear that perhaps a 20 mile run to the offshore wrecks could become a little less of a chore.

The run to my fishing grounds is approximately 20 miles of open ocean travel. I make that run 50+ days a season typically in the dark at least one way, frequently in the fog. I have an after market helm chair that is pretty comfortable and I almost never and I truly mean never touch the wheel the entire way. I kick back in the seat and monitor the RADAR, listen to Sirius and drink coffee going out and something cold coming home and don’t touch the wheel once the entire time.

I also have a wireless remote for the my autopilot, allowing me to steer the boat from the cockpit while trolling without having a second station....

all good reviews here, mine also works as described except I have some other issues. I use it as much as possible.e It changed the game completely with trolling. I'll be buying a wireless controller soon.

Sounds like you have a pump already but keep in mind seastar makes an autopilot pump too, much less $$$ than the "simrad" pump. So if that pump doesn't work consider the seastar pump. Really all you need is a +/- reversible pump. I'll be replacing my "raymarine" pump with the seastar pump this winter. I think those brand name pumps like simrad, raymarine, etc are overpriced. What justifies the 900 price on the simrad pump? The seastar pump is cheaper, comes with a fitting to bleed it, the pump fits seastar hoses directly, and it's in-line.

Autopilots are great additions and I am currently using Raymarine on my 2120. Only time they are confused is with your speed below 2 knots (Slow troll) or so with cross winds/waves. You simply don't have enough propulsion to stay on course.

I have had a reymarine s1000 gps autopilot for dag gone near 15 years. Use it constantly, and really complain when it does not work! :)

I consider them a necessary tool, rarely use it trolling (don’t like trolling in a straight line) but runningevery day.

It has a wireless remote, so I can use it from the pilot house our the upper station in the tower

Parker 2320 Yamaha 300.
Simrad ap44
Rpu80 pump
Nac-2
Precision 9
I can operate it through the autopilot computer controller, the evo3s’ and go12xsr in cockpit.

I think there is value in networking your mfd to the autopilot. That’s why I went with Simrad AP. Works flawlessly : about 40 miles to our first stop last trip. Never touched the wheel until 1 mile away.

So many integrations you can do from anywhere on your boat. I haven’t used it for trolling yet... just because I’m not a trolling fisherman.

Back