B175H and GT51M

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmurtagh

Reaction score
I am working on an electronics upgrade for my 2300 DV and have settled on an 8612xsv and B175H. Primarily grouper fishing off north carolina so 150ft or less. I'd like to add a second transducer with wider cone to help find spots and seems like the GT51M-TH is a popular choice.

My question is....can both of these transducers be mounted in thru hull configuration on a 2300 DV? Where are the ideal mounting locations? Should one go on the flat keel pad spot? Do I need a single GT51M-TH or do I need the pair?

Thanks!

Not totally familiar with YOUR boat.....However. If you have a Flat on the Keel...Thats a gret spot for the GT51M-TH . You will delete the 2in thick mounting pad if mounted that way...I have mounted them that way....It makes a clean install. That 2in pad is used when mounting on a angle of the deadrise and must be cut on a saw to match the deadrise..1 half outside and 1 half inside the boat to keep the X-Ducser aiming straight down.
The B175H you want mounted on the STB side....It takes a 3 3/4in holesaw.

You mount it with nothing in front of it aprox 4to 6in to the Right of the Keel and 14 to 24in in front of the transom....Where ever it fits Best.
READ the Damn instruction! Pay attention to the arrow. You would not believe the ones that get installed wrong. Not something you want to redo.

Now...You will likely have things in the way inside the boat and they May need to be slightly relocated....or just moved while the X-Ducer install is going on. I'm speaking of the Bilge pump and float switch...... I hope the Saltwater intake is on the Port side? That side scan is good for a Max of about 100ft.

thank you warthog! yes salt water intake is on the port side, so the starboard side is free for the B175H thru hull. I knew that you liked to mount the GT51 thru hull on the flat spot without the fairing block--wasn't sure if that was still the best place if I was also adding the B175H.

so the GT51M-TH is on the centerline in the flat spot.....should it be as far forward as possible? or as far back toward the transom? or just wherever it fits around bilge/wood pad/etc? I want to avoid putting in the wrong spot and causing cavitation issue with single outboard.

If you need to borrow my 3.75" hole saw let me know. I put a B175H in my 23 DVCC. My boat is in Beaufort if you want to take a look.

thank you! i will share some pics of the final install and results

install came out great....I installed the 8612xsv initially but it didn't feel any larger than my old 3210 so I upgraded to the 8616xsv and I'm extremely happy with the results so far. no cavitation issues and i'm getting good readings at all speeds--you can see pics of transducer placement outside and inside the hull.

I have the GT51 fairing block since it wasnt used for my install if any one needs one -- let me know. Fairing Block for Garmin Transducer

Attachments

• IMG_9511.JPEG
    IMG_9511.JPEG
    492.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9435.JPEG
    IMG_9435.JPEG
    597.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9440.JPEG
    IMG_9440.JPEG
    674.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9433.JPEG
    IMG_9433.JPEG
    582.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9434.JPEG
    IMG_9434.JPEG
    415.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 3334351998_28OCT20_0935_00_cool screenshot.png
    3334351998_28OCT20_0935_00_cool screenshot.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
fishing overall was slow on the first trip with new toys, but we did get lucky and get a nice hog fish

Attachments

• IMG_9660.JPEG
    IMG_9660.JPEG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Your choice on upgrading to the 8616 is giving me regret pains. I just added an 8612 to go with my existing 7612 and a new gmr fantom 18.... it is noticeably smaller. Does anyone know why Garmin would not want the various iterations of devices to match at least in cabinet size?

A few questions though- as someone still running a b70? Transducer and looking to upgrade- why have 2 xducers? On your screen- are you dropping waypoints when you see something interesting on top left? On the right side- why do you need both of those views? I know this is all preference, but I’m just trying to learn what others do and why.

Last edited:
as someone still running a b70? [/quote[

That would be a "B-60" 600watt 50/200 freq.

In the pix.....Note the fine detail of the B175H....It is much better than the GT51M-TH.

Yet the GT51M-TH gives you side scan that the B175-H does not have....Side scan is typically good to a Max of 100ft depth.

He's stacking the odds in His favor to find fish... :)

So glad I have the 8616....I knew I would have regret if I didn't. I was not able to exchange my 12" for 16" but I was able to sell it to another CP member almost what I payed for it....so it worked out fine for me and he got a great deal on a new unit.

yes I got the B175H as the best all around ducer for bottom fishing off NC where we are normally 150ft or less. the idea of also getting the side scan is to increase coverage on the bottom and find more new ledges / structure. its been discussed on thehulltruth and other forums as a good combination.

I've only used it one day, but looks like warthog is right....as far as finding structure that you would otherwise NOT see with the B175H....its probably good to a max of 100ft or so.

An added benefit of the side scan which I never really thought about until I had it--it gives you another dimension of information to figure out what is below the boat and how its oriented. If we are on top of a ledge, now we can tell if it runs left/right relative to the boat or front/back---without having to drive around in circles and dropping waypoints to "map" it out.

Certainly wasn't cheap but definitely worth it if you bottom fish like we do.

You're right Warthog- B60! Shows how much work I still need to do before committing capital to this! Thanks for the info lmurtagh- very helpful- and looks like you've definitely stacked the odds in your favor.

IMURTAGH, THAT IS ONE DIFFERENT LOOKING FISH! I bought the 8612 and it is installed and working great. Sounds like both of us are happy,,,, just the way it should be!

I installed the Garmin in 8616 and cut it into my 2018 2320 DVCC helm along with a Garmin Grid to enable me to have buttons and knobs to move the screen items if it’s to rough for screen finger movements. I would definitely recommend the grid.
The system works great and all aspects - radar, maps and fish finder are user friendly.

Back