Baitwell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96TL

Reaction score
Hey guys. I finally had the oppurtunity to cast net some bunker yesterday. I filled up the fish box with water thinking they would stay alive, but they all died in about 20 minutes. I was just wondering, what do you live bait guys use to keep bait alive on your Parker? Portable baitwell? I definitely want to get something together before the fall. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dom

Yeah, I plumbed a portable biatwell from the washdown hose and it stays centered on the rear deck. Water-in feeds from the raw water hose feed under the port gunnel and the drain goes out the starboard gunnel.

My tank isn't anything fancy, it's just made from a blue 55-gallon poly barrel. I find the blue color keeps the bait less stressed.

With the same design, I've kept > 3 dozen pogies in it and always had live ones left in it at the end of the day. I'll have to take some pictures ...

Hmm. I didn't get the washdown option on my boat. So I'd have to haul the put and have a thru-hull installed? Maybe I can modify the transom fish box to act as a baitwell somehow. :shock:

Dom 8)

Dom:

Mine is made just like this ... though not as fancy, see: http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=82088

I also prefer to plumb the incoming water into the bottom of the tank and have it circulate in a counter-clockwise direction, to be the same as the coriolis effect.

... might take some pictures tomorrow ... thinking of playing hooky from work ... ;)

Attachments

• baitwell.jpg
    baitwell.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,594
What do you think would be have to be done to turn the transom fish box into a baitwell? It already has drains to empty and clean it. I'd have to create overflows (1 on each side maybe?) and returns (also one on each side?). That's pretty much it right? Think it's possible?

96TL":gdls76wa said:
Dale, do you have the tank permanately mounted?
Nope, just sits on the deck centered l-r, but enough forward so I can open the lazarette (cockpit rear) hatch if/when needed.

96TL":gdls76wa said:
Do you keep it on the swim platform or on the deck?
Would consider keeping it on the swim platform if I had one, but I just have the OB bracket.

You know, on one of my other boats, I just used a livewell pump that hooked to the battery via alligator clips and I simply just tossed over the side for getting water into it. When running on plane, I'd shut it off and throw the pump into the well so the water wouldn't drain out, and the toss the pump into the seawater and turn it on so it'd recirculate fresh water while fishing.

Simple, easy to rig, and works ...

Dom,

Not sure if your fish box looks the same as on my 2003 2520, but the previous owner had the dealer install a divider in the box near the smaller access hatch on the port side. The divider is lower than the top and has mesh installed the rest of the way to the top. A line was taken off the washdown pump and plumbed in the bottom. As the water fills up, it spills over into the rest of the box and out the other drain. The drain in that small subsection would be plugged during use.

I cant say if its effective cause I havent tried it yet. But just though I'd throw it out there. I'll take some pics next weekend. I feel like something always comes up for discussion and I need a pic to show.

Dom

I took exact measurements tonight and I also took a few pics. It's 85" long, 12" wide, and 10.5" deep. Filled to the rim is 46 gallons, but I figure the overflows will be mounted about an 1.5" down, so that totals to 39 gallons. Not bad for a few dozen pogies. Do you think I should scrap the idea because of the square corners? The large pump is not a problem. I'll buy whatever it takes. I'll even mount a return on each side with a spray bar if I need to. Too bad rounding the corners is beyond my capabilities. I might just have to get a Kodiak tank and strap it the the swim platform.

Here are the pics:

9484Picture_039_Small_.jpg

9484Picture_040_Small_.jpg

9484Picture_041_Small_.jpg

9484Picture_043_Small_.jpg

9484Picture_045_Small_.jpg

DaleH":3hzr879t said:
96TL":3hzr879t said:
Dale, do you have the tank permanately mounted?
Nope, just sits on the deck centered l-r, but enough forward so I can open the lazarette (cockpit rear) hatch if/when needed.

96TL":3hzr879t said:
Do you keep it on the swim platform or on the deck?

You know, on one of my other boats, I just used a livewell pump that hooked to the battery via alligator clips and I simply just tossed over the side for getting water into it. When running on plane, I'd shut it off and throw the pump into the well so the water wouldn't drain out, and the toss the pump into the seawater and turn it on so it'd recirculate fresh water while fishing.

Simple, easy to rig, and works ...

Dale, would any of your pogies die when you unplugged the pump

Back