Barrier coat or no barrier coat

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camron

Reaction score
I picked up an 08 1801 the other week and need to paint the bottom. I have been reading about just using a primer and then going over with the bottom paint.

Anyone with experience prepping the bottom and recommendations on barrier coat of primer?

Thanks
Camron

It sure is a complete job to barrier and then bottom paint. That said, a 18 up north, and if it is seasonal use, recreationally. I would scuff up bottom a little with 80 grit sand paper by hand and apply a good water based bottom paint and get boating. You’ll build up enough layers in a couple of seasons.

I would barrier coat because it it acts as an adhesion promoter for the bottom paint. Dewax and prep before application. You can do it yourself but it's not a fun job and might be best left to a yard.

Any of the big name two part epoxy based barrier coats will be fine. It's not cheap but it works. Just make sure to mark the waterline properly so you're not guessing at it.

Back