Battery Relocation 2002 Model 2510

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugs Tug

Reaction score
The boat is equipped with a 4.2 D-Tronic Diesel with a Bravo 3 Outdrive.

The existing batteries are mounted on either side of the engine on platforms under the hatch. They are a PITA to remove in the fall and reinstall in the spring. :evil: :evil: :evil:

They have to be turned end on end to move to the front of the engine before they can be lifted out. Guaranteeing cut hands and acid leaking in the bilge.

Has anyone relocated theirs on the I/O models and if so where? The only location available I see is in the boxes that the helm seats are mounted to, but really do not want to lose that stowage.

Any and all advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Given the space requirements .. what not chage to a glass mat-type of battery? Not only are they not 'fragile' as a traditional wet battery, but they can even be installed on their side, edge, or even upsdie-down.

That might help your access issue ... at least for twice a year! Just watch it tough ... once you see the price of them (> $100+ each) the pain you have felt before will go from your arms and hands ... and travel down to your backsides and wallet ;) !

Good advice.
How reliable are they and what is the life expectancy of the batteries?
What is the maintenance factor?

Only looking for opinions and advice/answers

Thanks
Tom

Hugs Tug":v49aej97 said:
How reliable are they and what is the life expectancy of the batteries? What is the maintenance factor?
Hold on ... busy with work projects. I do have Powerboat Reports on them, stating their Best Buy and testing results. I'll scan it and send to you.

REMIND me if you don't get it in a few days ... busy at work and with boat projects ;) !

Hugs Tug":3trs07ut said:
How reliable are they and what is the life expectancy of the batteries?

I have a pair of the blue-top Optima Group 27 batteries in my 2520 MVSC. My boat is an outboard, so the batteries are located under the floor, forward of the bilge pump access hatch.
Follow the bilge pump wires, and you'll see where the batteries are located.

Image-5C4B6F404F5411DB.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg
Image-5C4BC7DA4F5411DB.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Reliability of the Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries for me has been 100% over the three years they have been installed and in service.
My Guest (brand) battery switch is the factory Off-1-Both-2 switch which I place in the 'Both' position every time I run the boat.

All of my Navigation and cockpit lights are LED's, so the heaviest draw electrical items that I have are my VHF, GPS/Chartplotter, and Sounder which really don't stress my batteries at all.

Hugs Tug":3trs07ut said:
What is the maintenance factor?

Other than cleaning the electrical connections at the battery once a year... none.

Because AGM's don't self discharge over time like a flooded battery does, there is absolutely no reason to remove them from the boat during the winter lay-up. Mine have been in place for three years now and I've never had a battery related issue in that amount of time.

Since I bought and installed my Optimas, other manufacturers have released even better technology... If I were to be in the market for a new set of batteries today, I would probably buy a set of Lifeline Marine batteries as they seem to be one of the AGM technology leaders at the moment.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marine.php

Hope this helps!

There are only two places that the batteries can be placed that are out of the way. Inside the transom or in the cabin. The first shortens the cable run but takes up storage space and moves aft 100 lbs. The other is a long cable run only improved if a chase was installed under the floor. You probably don't have that unless you requested it when the boat was built. The cabin seat location may need to be ventilated if placed there. Longer run = bigger cable.

I was able to remove and install both by sliding the battery aft , pushing the control cable (TPS) in and lifting. Removing the computer control box is also an option on the port side. For the starbord side, the battery fit in above the sea strainer and was then moved forward. Also have moved it along the outside edge of the compartment and pulled up on the port side. They are heavy.

Yokum makes some maintainence free that are the same cranking amps as required ( don't cheat here go more) they seem to be a little smaller. The biggest problem was the knees. One of these garden kneeling pads helped. They are a pain but with the maintainence free, once a year may all you have to get in there. Finding all the wires if you have a lot attached directly (pumps, down riggers, auto fire bottle, winch) is difficult leaning over the compartment.

Your situation is much different than the outboard boats. Even checking the water in a regular battery takes two people unless you remove them. One to pour and one to hold the battery out from underneath. If you change battery type get starting batteries. Had four brands, Yokum were the best. Delco #2 Trojan #3 and the original #4 were the worst. Don't get deep cycle. That's my opinion

It appears to be the concensus that the maintenance free AGM batteries are the option of choice.

Thanks Kevin for the link.

Will research and let you know what was decided on.

On another note. fished Montauk yesterday. Jigged herring early morning and live lined them off Shagwong and limited out in 3 hours. All fish kept over 25 pounds. What a way to end the seasons fishing. :p :p :p

Thanks again to all for the advice.

Tom

The AGM battery purchase mentioned is your option to leave them there.

I have wet cell deep cycle and I have plugged the boat into house current as I park it in my yard for the winter and leave the charger on all winter. That way I don't have to jockey mine out anymore. I place a board across the bilge and pull them onto it one at a time to see them so that I can check and top off the water level.

Dana

Kevin,

What was the price that you paid for the batteries that you are now using?
The reason I ask is that on line pricing was over $250.00 each.

Does antone recommend a distributor, and have pricing on the 27 series size AGM's

Thanks
Tom

Hugs Tug":4t53t4ox said:
Kevin,

What was the price that you paid for the batteries that you are now using?
The reason I ask is that on line pricing was over $250.00 each.

Does antone recommend a distributor, and have pricing on the 27 series size AGM's

Tom... I bought those batteries online 3 years ago, and I don't recall now where I got them, or what I paid.

The difference now is that Optimas are available at many local outlets (such as Sears), where they were not three years ago.
Lifeline batteries are similar, as they are sold at Cabellas under the Cabellas brand.

Back