Battery replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12Parker2320

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on replacing the two batteries in my 2012 2320. The previous owner had Duracell deep cycle batteries (not sure which group). What are you guys running and what is the best performing/ most durable batteries in your opinion? Would like to add a third battery down the road but want to be sure I’m getting the most out of the 2 I got now. I’m sure it’s been discussed but I didn’t find it

The Duracell's are not Bad.....Most buy them from Sams club. When I buy batteries for a customer....It's usually Interstate's.
Do you have a single engine? How would you charge a 3rd battery and what do you want it for? Bep Cluster....Start Battery for dedicated Engine Gp24 or Gp27 and DC for the House battery Gp27....

Looking for recommendations on replacing the two batteries in my 2012 2320. The previous owner had Duracell deep cycle batteries (not sure which group). What are you guys running and what is the best performing/ most durable batteries in your opinion? Would like to add a third battery down the road but want to be sure I’m getting the most out of the 2 I got now. I’m sure it’s been discussed but I didn’t find it

People will tell you most batteries are made at the same two or three factories and are the same yada yada yada.

I don’t have the expertise to validate or dispute that statement and I might be just a sucker but I have had nothing but outstanding service from Interstate Wet Cell Marine Batteries. I ran the original set of Interstates in my boat for 9 years and changed them out just because with another set of Interstates. I run a simple 2 battery set up but do a lot of night fishing with the engine off and the electronics on. My boat is never plugged into shore power ever. Only charging that occurs is off the engine when it’s running. I do use the boat frequently and the engine runs typically for 3-5 hours per trip, so the batteries do get quite a bit of charge time.

What is absolutely CRITICAL with wet cell batteries is to periodically top them off with distilled water. I think folks who have less then desirable service life with wet cells omit this essential maintenance procedure. I typically top my batteries off with distilled H2O at the end of the season and charge the batteries full before storage. I use almost a full gallon of water topping off those batteries, without doing this essential service, those wet cell batteries would most likely fail in under 3 years......

Last edited:
The Duracell's are not Bad.....Most buy them from Sams club. When I buy batteries for a customer....It's usually Interstate's.
Do you have a single engine? How would you charge a 3rd battery and what do you want it for? Bep Cluster....Start Battery for dedicated Engine Gp24 or Gp27 and DC for the House battery Gp27....
Single Yamaha 250. 3rd battery would be tied in to the other batteries with a cluster. Not sure if it’s even something I am going do but I still cringe at the idea of having all my batteries below the water line. I know it hasn’t been a problem for all the previous Parker owner but I’m still getting used to it. Warthog what group battery do you recommend?

People will tell you most batteries are made at the same two or three factories and are the same yada yada yada.

I don’t have the expertise to validate or dispute that statement and I might be just a sucker but I have had nothing but outstanding service from Interstate Wet Cell Marine Batteries. I ran the original set of Interstates in my boat for 9 years and changed them out just because with another set of Interstates. I run a simple 2 battery set up but do a lot of night fishing with the engine off and the electronics on. My boat is never plugged into shore power ever. Only charging that occurs is off the engine when it’s running. I do use the boat frequently and the engine runs typically for 3-5 hours per trip, so the batteries do get quite a bit of charge time.

What is absolutely CRITICAL with wet cell batteries is to periodically top them off with distilled water. I think folks who have less then desirable service life with wet cells omit this essential maintenance procedure. I typically top my batteries off with distilled H2O at the end of the season and charge the batteries full before storage. I use almost a full gallon of water topping off those batteries, without doing this essential service, those wet cell batteries would most likely fail in under 3 years......
Yup I remember checking the electrolyte Acid in my old wet batteries. They worked well when maintained

Single Yamaha 250. 3rd battery would be tied in to the other batteries with a cluster. Not sure if it’s even something I am going do but I still cringe at the idea of having all my batteries below the water line. I know it hasn’t been a problem for all the previous Parker owner but I’m still getting used to it. Warthog what group battery do you recommend?
Your cranking battery size should be determined by the engine manufacturer based on CCA. I’d say probably gp27 in your case.

Your decision to add another battery is another matter entirely. Provided that it’s a house battery, it’s size will be entirely based on the capacity you need. There’s no real “right” answer, it’ll be determined by your electrical load on the system.

If your concern is simply to have a backup battery in case of a failure of the one in the bilge, you can probably just use the same size you currently have, provided that you judge yourself to have adequate capacity as it is. You’ll have to be careful about how you wire that battery so that it’s a true “independent” battery, as opposed to simply part of a larger house bank, which would defeat the redundancy concept you seem to be after. However, this will also have implications as to how the batteries will charge from the engine alternator, especially if you’re using a BEP type switch.

Lots to consider here.

Your cranking battery size should be determined by the engine manufacturer based on CCA. I’d say probably gp27 in your case.

Your decision to add another battery is another matter entirely. Provided that it’s a house battery, it’s size will be entirely based on the capacity you need. There’s no real “right” answer, it’ll be determined by your electrical load on the system.

If your concern is simply to have a backup battery in case of a failure of the one in the bilge, you can probably just use the same size you currently have, provided that you judge yourself to have adequate capacity as it is. You’ll have to be careful about how you wire that battery so that it’s a true “independent” battery, as opposed to simply part of a larger house bank, which would defeat the redundancy concept you seem to be after. However, this will also have implications as to how the batteries will charge from the engine alternator, especially if you’re using a BEP type switch.

Lots to consider here.
Ya and I haven’t gotten that far with the 3rd battery idea. I honestly don’t think it to be necessary at the moment. I believe the current batteries I have are 27 group Duracell BCI’s. I haven’t got a volt meter reading on them but the previous owner said he hadn’t changed out the batteries in a while so I was trying to be proactive. Considering getting AGM batteries if I change them out. Thanks for all that info, much appreciated and exactly why I joined this site

I tend to go with the old adage of keep it simple. I have cruised on my Ranger Tug for ten years. Flooded group 27 deep cycle from Walmart. They have a one year replacement warranty. I change them every three years, regardless of condition. For $95.00 you can't go wrong. Many battery failures are do to user error. I would rather kill a Walmart battery than any other expensive AGM at a price of $185 or higher.

Warthog what group battery do you recommend?

If you brought it to me.....It would get a BEP Cluster installed.....A Interstate Gp27 Start & a Interstate Gp27 Deep Cycle.......That is all it will need.

Ii would suggest group 31 batteries over 27. More cranking amps and reserve. They are commercial so plates are anchored in epoxy. Only slightly larger dimension but check battery trays for fit. New trays are not terribly expensive. Good hold downs are most important.

Ii would suggest group 31 batteries over 27. More cranking amps and reserve. They are commercial so plates are anchored in epoxy. Only slightly larger dimension but check battery trays for fit. New trays are not terribly expensive. Good hold downs are most important.
I was thinking of group 31 for those reasons but i’ve been told the 27, which Yamaha recommends, is what I should go/stay with. I load tested my batteries today and they are still good so I won’t be replacing them this season. Per some of the feedback I got I was going to plan on getting the interstate 27 group batteries, starting and house. What would you recommend in the 31 category?

31 is way overkill....takes more space....weighs more, Will not fit Gp27 tray.....

However.....If you wanted to go to Gp31 DC for the house loads... I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I ran a Gp D4 as a House battery.....D4 = 2 1/2 Gp27's. Why? When you start putting amp's in a boat they consume Mass Quantities as the "Cone Heads" would say.

But I will say again......If you are running a Guest or Perko style battery switch.....You do NOT have a dedicated "House" Battery.

I was thinking of group 31 for those reasons but i’ve been told the 27, which Yamaha recommends, is what I should go/stay with. I load tested my batteries today and they are still good so I won’t be replacing them this season. Per some of the feedback I got I was going to plan on getting the interstate 27 group batteries, starting and house. What would you recommend in the 31 category?
I buy the group 27 Interstate from Costco or BJ'S and replace them about every 4 years. I run only 1 battery at a time and alternate every trip so I always have a fresh battery. The live bait pump is my main draw.

I would hope they had a replacment warranty that would justify the cost.
In my 1801 there is a pair of Exide 24MSX's dated 02/13. Out on #1 or both, return on #2 or both has served me well. A simple load test keeps me informed of thier condition. Keep the batteries and terminal connections clean. They are sloppy in the trays :mad: (like someone mentioned) but one day I'll make the move to the console.

so the batteries do get quite a bit of charge time.
Most charging systems today replenish healthy starting batteries within a few minutes then tapper off depending on the load.
I use almost a full gallon of water topping off those batteries.
If your replenishing your batteries with that much water I would suspect your system is over charging (doesnt take much)

Anyone have thoughts on replacing with Lithium batteries. Initial cost is high but longevity, cycles, discharge, and size & weight are pluses.

I’m going lithium with my trolling battery (single 36v). If it performs as they claim I’m going to change over my house & starting battery when the time comes

Back