Battery replacement

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most charging systems today replenish healthy starting batteries within a few minutes then tapper off depending on the load.

If your replenishing your batteries with that much water I would suspect your system is over charging (doesnt take much)

Well it’s been the same with my first engine a Yamaha F225 that I ran for almost 2000 hours and now with Suzuki DF300APXX for almost 400 hours so far. I got 9 years out of my first set of Interstates and they were still operational when I replaced them. If that’s a product of “over charging” I don’t have a problem with it.

I run my engines 200+ hours a season and fish a lot at night, frequently with the RADAR spinning on battery power. The batteries get used, not over charged.....

Last edited:
I’m going lithium with my trolling battery (single 36v). If it performs as they claim I’m going to change over my house & starting battery when the time comes

You need to do more research.....When you buy that Lithium battery.....It comes with a charger.....It's a "Specific" charger.....It is NOT designed to be a "Marine" charger, therefor you use it.....Then remove it from the boat. As to Start and House charging.....No from engine.

Here is one of the 2 I have installed.... Dakota Lithium 36v 63Ah Single Deep Cycle Marine LiFePO4 Battery

It says

Suitable for:
  • Trolling Motors #FishLonger
  • Marine Applications
  • 36V Trolling Motors
  • 36V Electric Motors
  • LiFePO4 Replacement for SLA 36V
  • Compatible with onboard charging
  • Excellent for Minnkota Motors
  • Preferred Upgrade for Garmin Motors
  • Ideal for Lowrance Motors
  • Compatible with all trolling motors
  • Trolling Motors with Max Amp Draw of 60 Amps or less

I think THAT is deceiving. Your standard 36V onboard charger is 3 banks of 12V.....That will NOT work for this battery.

And at the bottom is says.......

Charger Included
36V 8A LiFePO4 charger included

You need to do more research.....When you buy that Lithium battery.....It comes with a charger.....It's a "Specific" charger.....It is NOT designed to be a "Marine" charger, therefor you use it.....Then remove it from the boat. As to Start and House charging.....No from engine.

Here is one of the 2 I have installed.... Dakota Lithium 36v 63Ah Single Deep Cycle Marine LiFePO4 Battery

It says

I think THAT is deceiving. Your standard 36V onboard charger is 3 banks of 12V.....That will NOT work for this battery.

Charger Included

Agree, I ordered a charger specific for the lithium with a single 36v bank. I know I’ll have to use a dedicated lithium charger for the house/start batteries if I make that change.

It says

Charger Included

I bought this battery:
https://lithiumhub.com/product/36-volt-50ah-lithium-battery/
And this charger:

https://lithiumhub.com/product/ionic-2-bank-battery-charger/
I had another charger on order but cancelled after finding out it’s charge rate was incorrect

I’ll have to use a dedicated lithium charger for the house/start batteries if I make that change.

What about the alt. on the engine? Not designed to charge Lithium batteries.

That's my same question. Everything I have read says that you can kill the outboard(s) alternator. My batteries are due for replacement and I wanted to change at least the house battery to lithium. I haven't found yet a good solution/protection for the alternator to make this work.

It's not a change that will be happening for me soon (I hope). I've read a couple of articles that a few companies are working on a solution. I know one of the major problems when charging lithiums with the alternator is the alternator over heats and fails. I'm hopeful they have this resolved so when the time comes I can make the switch.

If ya have Unlimited money and want the top stuff "Right NOW."

AGM's for the Start & House.......Lithium for the TM.

If ya have Unlimited money and want the top stuff "Right NOW."

AGM's for the Start & House.......Lithium for the TM.

I've been researching the AGM batteries. I've heard a lot of great resposnes on the NorthStar line of batteries. No, I don't have unlimited money but high quality fuel, filters, and batteries are on the top of my must have list ;)

Group 31 way overkill? That is like saying an F300 is way overkill when an F250 will work just fine. Or why install a 155 gal fuel tank when a 120 gal tank will work just as well?
These are all just personal preferences.
I kind of like that word, Overkill.
Lots of benefits, the only downside is slight weight penalty. My batteries have been relocated from the aft bilge to the center console so not really a concern there.
The original question was regarding best performing/ most durable? 27 or 31,
Group 31 hands down!IMG_20150925_173309298.jpg

Last edited:
I have an Optima AGM start and a VMaxTanks MR197 200AH AGM for the house. All managed by a BEP Cluster switch and a ProMariner ProNautic 1220P hardwired charger. I think I’m around 4 years old now with this system. Works like a champ.

Bumping this old thread I created. I’m at the point of replacing my group 27’s. I am seriously looking at lithium’s mainly do to the reduction of weight in the stern. Anyone using lithium’s on here? Are there any concerns about the alternator not being able to charge lithium or the batteries overheating the alternator?

The following is directly from Yamaha.

Maintenance-free and valve-regulated lead acid batteries, commonly referred to as AGM and gel cell batteries, are approved for use on all Yamaha four-stroke models. NOTE: Maintenance-free and AGM/gel cell batteries are not approved for use with carbureted and fuel injected two-stroke models.

Lithium-ion batteries are not approved for use with Yamaha outboards

Maintenance-free and valve-regulated lead acid batteries, commonly referred to as AGM and gel cell batteries, are approved for use on all Yamaha four-stroke models. NOTE: Maintenance-free and AGM/gel cell batteries are not approved for use with carbureted and fuel injected two-stroke models.

Ya I remember seeing that in 2020 but I know of folks who have had success using them since. There were issues with outboard alternators and lithium batteries disconnecting from the electrical generation system. I have heard the newer updates to BMS’s have fixed that issue and certain lithiums are being used for house and starting. Just curious if anyone on here has done it

Concerning Yamaha’s notification on using AGM batteries with 2-stroke engines. I own Evinrude Etec G2 engines (2 stroke). I’m moving the batteries forward & replacing my existing batteries, wiring, and associated switches. I’m installing a battery management system using BEP’s 2-engine, 3-bank cluster.

To keep the chemistry of all batteries similar my plan is to use all AGM gp31 batteries rather than mixing flooded crank batteries and AGM DC for the House bank.
• 1 dual purpose AGM for each engine and
• 2 AGM DC for the “House” bank.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know why, or if, I should be concerned about using AGM batteries with my 2-stroke fuel injected engines

Concerning Yamaha’s notification on using AGM batteries with 2-stroke engines. I own Evinrude Etec G2 engines (2 stroke). I’m moving the batteries forward & replacing my existing batteries, wiring, and associated switches. I’m installing a battery management system using BEP’s 2-engine, 3-bank cluster.

To keep the chemistry of all batteries similar my plan is to use all AGM gp31 batteries rather than mixing flooded crank batteries and AGM DC for the House bank.
• 1 dual purpose AGM for each engine and
• 2 AGM DC for the “House” bank.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know why, or if, I should be concerned about using AGM batteries with my 2-stroke fuel injected engines
You will have no problems using AGMs. I’d be doubtful of lithiums, since I’m not yet convinced they’ve sorted out the issues they’ve had in the past. Same with gel cells, as they don’t like charging voltages over 14v. A standard outboard alternator will eventually roast them.

Back