BEP # 55

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warthog5

Reaction score
This makes # 55 of BEP Clusters that I have installed.

BEP Cluster Switch.

You start your day by turning the Start switch and the House switch to ON.
At the end of the day you turn them both OFF.

It doesn't get any simpler than that. You don't have to remember to turn from Batt 1 when going out and switch to Batt 2 on the way back in. Just something else that you have to remember.

OK so what goes on with it is done all automatically thru the VSR [Voltage Sensitive Relay]

The Relay is in a closed position. As soon as you hit the key to crank the motor the relay opens, due to sensing a large surge of current.

Ok the motor is cranked and running now. The relay is still open. The Alt is charging the Start battery until it reaches a set voltage and charge.

Then the relay closes and is back charging Both the Start & House Battery.

Now another feature that happened when you hit the key is your electronics were ON and wired from the House battery. This will stop any spiking of the Electronics. They don't like to be spiked!

OK...Now your out sitting on the beach. The motor is OFF, but you have the Radio playing for hours. The Relay senses the drop and opens the relay again. The radio is still playing, but the relay just disconnected the Start battery out of the circuit so that it stays at Full charge to start the motor.

When you get ready to leave the beach and crank the motor the alt will charge the Start battery first and when it's back up, the relay will close and charge the House battery.

There is one more switch on the Cluster. It is the Combine switch. Think of that as Jumper Cables without having to dig them out and hook them up. This switch would normally be in the OFF position, until you need a boost on the start battery. Then turn it to ON. After the motor is running turn it back OFF.

Everything is all Automatic. No thinking about it. Your batteries will have a much better charge in them.

The unit pictured above is just slightly larger than a Perko switch for the single engine unit. So it doesn't take up much room and takes a LOT less room than the Blue Seas version. It looks cleaner too, due to the cables that are needed on the Blue Seas version.

Attachments

• BEP1 (1).jpg
    BEP1 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
  • BEP1 (2).jpg
    BEP1 (2).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
This is a smart solution to a very typical problem on boats. This is especially relevant now that boats have such high electrical demands.

One question, If the outboard has two outputs for charging batteries, could you just use two entirely isolated switches/ systems, one for house and one for starter banks and then achieve the same result ? I see the only limitation with this isolated configuration is that there cannot be a combination of the two banks in the need for a “jump”.

Nice install also. Very tidy and will last decades.

EFX...The answer is Yes....But this is cleaner.....I have done one...Where the Aux wire were there.

What I did was Port AUX wire to STB Start Batt......and STB AUX wire to Port Start Batt.

The thinking here is.....If one engine was down/ shut off......Lets say the Port engine is running....STB is Not......Then Port Engine would Charge it's Battery and the House Battery thu the BEP and also Charge the STB Start battery via the AUX wire.

It's not something I normally do.

A Big factor is having control of your Batteries and knowing exactly which battery is doing What...This is where the BEP shines.

With Twin engines and 2 Perko's....There are cables running Amuck....And you really don't know "Whats" going on.....Just that stuff works if you do XYZ.

Reactions: Efx
#56 BEP just completed.

Attachments

• 20220618_110942.jpg
    20220618_110942.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 49
  • 20220618_110949.jpg
    20220618_110949.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20220618_112507.jpg
    20220618_112507.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20220618_112514.jpg
    20220618_112514.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
The Buss bars come in the unit tinned....I just change the 10ga wires due to them using crap connectors there.....

That "Utility" hatch was installed by the factory... [Cape Horn].....However...I had to buy another one in order to flush mount the BEP Cluster.

The box is made by Inovative products....It is 8 X 14 X 2.25.

The BEP will Just fit inside from the front.....But ....It's not deep enough......So Cluster was flush mounted from the back.......They make a smaller one....8 X 8 I believe? And I'm pretty sure that would work for the single engine / 2 battery Cluster.

EFX...The answer is Yes....But this is cleaner.....I have done one...Where the Aux wire were there.

What I did was Port AUX wire to STB Start Batt......and STB AUX wire to Port Start Batt.

The thinking here is.....If one engine was down/ shut off......Lets say the Port engine is running....STB is Not......Then Port Engine would Charge it's Battery and the House Battery thu the BEP and also Charge the STB Start battery via the AUX wire.

It's not something I normally do.

A Big factor is having control of your Batteries and knowing exactly which battery is doing What...This is where the BEP shines.

With Twin engines and 2 Perko's....There are cables running Amuck....And you really don't know "Whats" going on.....Just that stuff works if you do XYZ.
Wart
I have twin Outboards (Etec g2 225 H.O.) and plan to install a BEP twin engine 3-bank cluster. I’ve read a number of your posts on this topic and I’m sold on the BEP cluster.

I also have the exact mess you describe. Three Perkos, One for each engine, 1for the house.
As you probably know the Etec g2 engines have an auxiliary charge circuit option, which I have.

Question 1: The BEP twin engine 3-bank cluster is also offered with motorized DVSR and I presume it incorporates a remote switch.
• What is the advantage
• Does BEP recommend a particular switch

Question 2: Do you recommend connecting the auxiliary wire as described in this post if I go with the DVSR.

The motorized unit I have never installed. I look at it as a Luxury yacht item and not needed in our life.

So as not to bring any confusion into the mix..... For your AUX charge wires......I'd disconnect them.

The motorized unit I have never installed. I look at it as a Luxury yacht item and not needed in our life.

So as not to bring any confusion into the mix..... For your AUX charge wires......I'd disconnect them.
Thanks for your response and all the effort you take to help

I plan to go with both recommendations. Both will simplify this endeavor and there’s no space at my helm for another switch pannel anyway.

Battery Question
I plan to change house batteries to AGM gp31 deep cycle. I run my bait tank all constantly on House batts.

Question 1: For my House am I better off building the House Bank with 2- 6volt AGM in series, or 2-12volt AGM in parallel?

Question 2: For my 2 Start Banks are there AGM batteries you would recommend? I would like to get rid of all flooded batteries. Engines are Etec G2 225 H.O.

Thanks again for your time.

What Baker said...... BUT...I personally put 1 D4 DC in...... A single D4 is = to 2 1/2 Gp27's. I did have to build a custom battery tray..... yea they make battery box's for them, but the batteries flop around in them.... Bought one.... Then sent it back.
It really has a lot to do with how much room you have, remember, Battery trays take up more room than the size of the battery and the battery "May" have to be manulapited to get it in and out....Why I typically use A paticalar style Attwood tray.

As to the AGM Starting battery..... I really have no recommendation.

Attachments

• 20160302_150255.jpg
    20160302_150255.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 1
Back