BEP question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inshore Chaser

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently replacing my Perko switch with a BEP 1 engine 2 battery bank VSR system. The upgrade of the 10ga wire is done (based on reading Warthog5 and Pelagic2530...great stuff!) as can be seen in the attached pic. My question is that I am 99% sure that I should cut the small red wire being held by the pliers very close to the potting near terminal with the red dot under the pliers (terminal cannot be seen in pic). Then install a 3/8 marine ring terminal and connect that ring terminal to terminal "B". The objective is to only provide power to the VSR when the ignition switch is in the "on" position. Does this make sense? BEP.jpg

Not exactly.....
You clip the red wire flush....Closest to the Black wire....IE: looking at the pix.... the higher protrusion.... Then Hook to B....The same terminal that the hot lead from engine hooks to.

Ign switch has nothing to do with this.

What happens is ....When you turn the Start sw. ON......It will energize the Relay....You will also see the Lil Red Idiot light come on on the Relay....Then it will flash a few times and go out....Thats normal.
That relay energized will consume Milly amps....But eventually draw the battery down over time.

By doing what I said above....When you turn the Start sw OFF No amperage goes to the relay....
That Red wire is very small..Istrp the end a little longer than a normal strip and fold the wire back on itself where its bare and goes in the RED crimp/shirnk connector. This just makes a better crimp due to the smallness of the wire gauge.

Not exactly.....
You clip the red wire flush....Closest to the Black wire....IE: looking at the pix.... the higher protrusion.... Then Hook to B....The same terminal that the hot lead from engine hooks to.

Ign switch has nothing to do with this.

What happens is ....When you turn the Start sw. ON......It will energize the Relay....You will also see the Lil Red Idiot light come on on the Relay....Then it will flash a few times and go out....Thats normal.
That relay energized will consume Milly amps....But eventually draw the battery down over time.

By doing what I said above....When you turn the Start sw OFF No amperage goes to the relay....
That Red wire is very small..Istrp the end a little longer than a normal strip and fold the wire back on itself where its bare and goes in the RED crimp/shirnk connector. This just makes a better crimp due to the smallness of the wire gauge.
Thanks, appreciate the advice and explanation!

Back