Best polish and wax for a older 2006 Parker

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

247fishing

Reaction score
I'm working on bringing this older Parker back to a better looking boat. It does have twin 2020 300's on it and all need electronics, but the outside needs some TLC. I have tried a couple of rubbing compounds with a buffer, but looking for something better and what you guys recommend on getting the hull back to its best shape. What would be best for polishing up an older Parker?

I'm working on bringing this older Parker back to a better looking boat. It does have twin 2020 300's on it and all need electronics, but the outside needs some TLC. I have tried a couple of rubbing compounds with a buffer, but looking for something better and what you guys recommend on getting the hull back to its best shape. What would be best for polishing up an older Parker?
I use 3M Marine Cleaner/Wax #09009 when I need to remove light oxidation. Then on top of that I use Collonite Heavy Duty Paste 'Fleetwax' #885, Marine & Aeronautical Wax. (I have also tried Collinite #925 liquid; I get better results, with the #885, and the #885 is much easier to work with).... Here's a video that shows the results of years of using Collonite... (23) 2013 PARKER 2520 XLD, Six Years Old and Still Looks Great! - YouTube .
I have a 4-5 other videos posted that show how I use it, and that I have always done it 'by hand'; no machine (but as I'm getting older, I will try using an electric buffer; the old hands just ain't what they used to be). I have on occasion used a light rubbing compound on small places that had some heavier oxidation, and I used what ever I had laying around the shop.

Last edited:
I like 3M 06044 in the black bottle for cutting the oxidation off. There is nothing better than 3M Finess-It II 09048 for polishing. Top it off with Collinite Fleet Wax paste and the shine will last for months. Wool buffer pads for cutting and polishing. Hand rub the Collinite. This picture is before the Collinite Fleet wax.tempImagevsHBar.jpg

You will get a lot of different answers. Been detailing my boat twice a year for 10 years. I recently switched from Collenite product, which is very good, but found Turbo Cut for compond and then Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax to be outstanding. The boat never looked so good!

You will get a lot of different answers. Been detailing my boat twice a year for 10 years. I recently switched from Collenite product, which is very good, but found Turbo Cut for compond and then Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax to be outstanding. The boat never looked so good!
I too have used Meguiar's products in the past on other boats and agree with what you said. Although there is no way to know for sure, I believe the Collinite Paste Wax #885 seems to last longer, especially on the bow, which gets the most water/wave action.

Last edited:
These are all very helpful and have a good game plan for for buffing project. Going to use my Griots buffer and start with a wool trying a couple of different compounds to see if one cuts better than the other. This boat has probably never been cut and polished knowing the last 10 years history of it. I appreciate the feed back and It sounds like we have multiple quality products to work with.

I like 3M 06044 in the black bottle for cutting the oxidation off. There is nothing better than 3M Finess-It II 09048 for polishing. Top it off with Collinite Fleet Wax paste and the shine will last for months. Wool buffer pads for cutting and polishing. Hand rub the Collinite. This picture is before the Collinite Fleet wax.View attachment 27495
The above picture was June last year. Here is a picture 7 months later with just a wash and new application of Collinite paste wax.
8A0442EB-8F7F-4994-90E6-C3D7F5C41C30.jpeg

I do a once a year polish. This is a pic of the initial results after I removed the pinstripe, dewaxed, wet (block) sanded the entire hull to remove any factory imperfections, cut/polish with 3MFiness-It II then hand polish with Starbrite marine polish with PTFE. I also take a damp towel and saturate it with the Starbrite marine polish and wipe down the tops of the gunwales so blood and guts rinse right off.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 49
I use Meguiar's Professional Grade Power Cut for any "rash" that may occur then Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax Paste. Foam applicator pads & wool buffing pads on Dewalt 7" grinder. 2015 and still shines reasonably well. I'm OCD on waxing, apply it 4 times a year. I even apply it to the bottom of the hull twice a year. 2021-01-07 11.13.41-1.jpg2021-01-07 11.15.13.jpg

These are all very helpful and have a good game plan for for buffing project. Going to use my Griots buffer and start with a wool trying a couple of different compounds to see if one cuts better than the other. This boat has probably never been cut and polished knowing the last 10 years history of it. I appreciate the feed back and It sounds like we have multiple quality products to work with.
I found for using compound that the foam pad is better. You rinse it out when it gets clogged up and just keep going. They last long and can even be thrown is a washing machine.

Currently using Collonite fiberglass cleaner then Collonite wax and bought a Ryobi cordless buffer bc boat is on a lift and can use it while standing in the water doing the hull. I like Woody's Wax , too
Brent I used collonite for years, then a couple of years ago I got 1/2 way thru waxing the boat and ran out. I then grabbed a bottle of 3M I had to finish the job. Mid way thru the summer I noticed the areas waxed with the collonite were holding a lot of dirt as opposed to the other areas. The areas with the collonite just did not look as clean after a wash. The only way to clean it up was to remove the wax and rewax. After using it for years I would have never noticed the dirt sticking to the wax otherwise.

Brent I used collonite for years, then a couple of years ago I got 1/2 way thru waxing the boat and ran out. I then grabbed a bottle of 3M I had to finish the job. Mid way thru the summer I noticed the areas waxed with the collonite were holding a lot of dirt as opposed to the other areas. The areas with the collonite just did not look as clean after a wash. The only way to clean it up was to remove the wax and rewax. After using it for years I would have never noticed the dirt sticking to the wax otherwise.
Great info

I use stuff until gone and move on to the next one. I use th Collonite fiberglass cleaner often and various wax top coat. I really like the Raymarine protection liquid but it is gone.

My boat hadn't been compounded or waxed for an undetermined amount of time. I bought it in summer 2018. The gelcoat was heavily oxidized and chalky. I should have given it an acid bath, whatever that is. I used 3M Compound and wax which left it splotchy. I grabbed my bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Compound (auto use) and it did a better and more consistent job of removing the oxidation and providing shiny surface. It's still not the end all for the shape mine was in, which may be similar to yours. If you search UT you see many touting Meg's All in One. If you search forums you see 3M Step 1 Heavy Compound mentioned by those who have tried others and were not thrilled. It's a bit expensive @ $41/qt. After it you're supposed to use their Step 3 light compound with wax, also about the same price. Personally I want to do a light compound without wax and then do a Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coating on top. I watch Project Farm and it outdid sealants in standing up to the elements. On the vehicles I've used Rejex and it's great at preventing leaf stains and enduring being outside. On the vette, I set the bottle on the trunk lid as I wiped it on the rear fascia and the bottle started vibrating, walking its way to the edge. Darnest thing I ever saw. Later I took it in for service and the service mgr wanted to know what I used as he'd never felt anything so slick. The TW wipe one/wipe off would be a lot easier on a large surface like a hull. Rejex can be difficult to remove and no matter how well you think you got it all off, look from every angle, you'll see some still stuck. It has to be applied in very small amounts unlike wax.

I have been using Garry’s Royal satin Marine wax and one step cleaner it comes in a fairly large tub & the easiest wax to apply & take off.
And does a fantastic job.
Amazon sells it. You won’t be sorry

Great info

I use stuff until gone and move on to the next one. I use th Collonite fiberglass cleaner often and various wax top coat. I really like the Raymarine protection liquid but it is gone.
That’s is my process also. I always wax twice, cleaner then top coat. The collonite cleaner wax is great and does a good job it is the pure wax that dirt clings to. So I use Maguires or 3M for the topcoat

Back