Boat Blackfish Net

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megmac

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for suggestions on best net for blackfishing. Also looking for size recommendations. Any links provided are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Of all the species I target, Tautog is the one I worry the least about netting. Tautog are tricky to hook on the bottom but once they’re hooked up, they rarely come off without having to wrestle the hook out of their mouth‘s using fishing pliers. Boating Tautog, including keeper sized fish, I reach over the side, grab the leader and pull the fish aboard with a smooth but rapid motion. Tautog Fishing action happens fast & furious and can be tide dependent. I’ve seen the bite turn on and off like the flip of a switch with a tide change and when the bite is on, getting the fish off the hook and my rig rebaited and back fishing as quickly as possible is paramount.

I do keep a net handy if that monster shows up. My only specific recommendation would be to get a net with rubber basket/netting. If you do use the net, the rubber basket type tends to be easier to clear of fish and hook tangles and gets you back to fishing faster than a net with a traditional basket made of line.

See picture below of a net with a rubber basket.A12B5E46-2393-4990-95D0-23FDEF6C6F53.jpeg

Last edited:
  1. Frabill Conservation Series Landing Net: This net has a large 20" x 23" hoop size and a rubber-coated mesh that is gentle on the fish. It also has a telescoping handle that extends up to 72" for deep water fishing.
  2. Bubba 3-Position Extendable Landing Net: This net features a unique handle design that allows you to adjust the length and angle for optimal reach and control. The rubber-coated netting is also gentle on the fish.
  3. KastKing Madbite Folding Landing Net: This net is compact and easy to store, making it a good choice for kayak or canoe fishing. It has a rubber-coated mesh that is gentle on the fish and a sturdy aluminum frame.

Back