Boat cleaning--lessons learned

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to cleaning the hull, non-skid, and aluminium hard-top and seating components, what lessons have you learned down through the years of owning and maintaining your boats?

I used to use Bar Keeper's Friend almost exclusively until Kevin showed me some "Roll Off" at the Annapolis Rendezvous yesterday. I was at Tri-State today and picked some up, and for grins and giggles, picked up some FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover). The Roll Off took the sticky bathtub ring off the hull faster than anything I've used so far. And the FSR took the reddish rust stain off the hull faster than the BKF I had used in the past. It must have a lot more oxacylic acid in it tan BKF.

Anyway, the lesson I've learned is to use FSR for the rust stain that accumulates due to iron in the water. I still had to use BKF on the non-skid for getting up the dried fish blood, food, and the black marks from shoes/boots.

As for waxing, I've learned no lessons other than it is a lot of work. I'm still switching wax products and haven't found one that has any endurance. Your lessons in this dept. would be appreciated.

For now, Tina's Diamond is in the driveway, clean as a whistle and ready for wax.

Dave

aka

Is that iron that caused that brown ring around my boat? Ugh. I though it was CB slime......we don't get that in Delaware- :)
Nice meeting you yesterday Dave.

Dave,

After the raft-up, MJ and I motored on out to Hackets for a little drift-fishing.
Well... MJ drift-fished. I cleaned the brown scum off the hull. :)

I use a car wash sponge sprayed with either RollOff, Orange Zep, or Simple Green.
Then it is just a matter of leaning over the side and getting rid of the funk. 8)

Wayne... that 'bathtub ring' only seems to happen when rafted up. I don't see it on my boat otherwise.

Dave... My neighbor has a yacht management business, part of which is washing and waxing boats.
If the surface is oxidized, he takes liquid rubbing compound, mixes it with a little water to get it to 'flow', and puts it in a squeeze ketchup or mustard bottle so he can squirt it where it is needed.

Most people who use compound on fiberglass don't use enough water to lubricate and float the chalk off. You also need to rinse out your application rag often so you don't just spread the chalk around. If you see 'swirl marks', use more water and clean your rag more often.

As for wax, my neighbor prefers Mcguires or one of the 'teflon' products like Starbrite over Collonite products. Woodys fiberglass restorer is also in favor.

IMG_0274.JPG

To apply and remove wax, I prefer a Makita 9227c with plenty of extra bonnets. As the wool gets filled up, switch to a clean one and continue.

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

Hope some of this helps!

:oops: Embarrassed to say that my boat sat for a week in my driveway after the Annapolis Rendezvous with the brown ring around the hull. I picked up a bottle of Roll Off and it didn’t do squat. Tried it multiple times leaving it on the hull for multiple amounts of time. Then I started testing. One spot with Roll off, one spot with Spray Nine, one spot with Clorox bathroom scrub with bleach. Put all three cleaners on, scrubbed them all with a stiff brush then rinsed. No noticeable difference. BKF did the trick at the end using a scotch bright pad but now I have this urge to wax because I am sure the wax is gone.

On a positive note I did flush the engine as soon as I got home on Sunday night!! 8)

Parkerman":56p3y1xg said:
:oops: Embarrassed to say that my boat sat for a week in my driveway after the Annapolis Rendezvous with the brown ring around the hull.

:shock: That was the problem brother!
Once that stuff sets up, you practically have to blast it off.

I ran out into the Bay and wiped it off with a sponge and a little Simple Green while leaning over the side.
If you attack it while it is 'fresh', it comes off easy.

Latest posts

Back