boaters license...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NJ is perhaps a bit more anal... Boating safety certificate (requires a course participation and a proctored exam - that is for non-tidal waters only. For tidal/ocean, needs an endorsement on the Drivers License.

USCG Auxiliary offers courses and exams, most are taught by very experienced boaters. My wife is a vice commander of one of the USCG Auxiliary flotillas, based in NJ, I've been very impressed meeting the guys, it's a great group.

Usually a full day course w/exam, they send the endorsement to the state Dept Of Motor Vehicles, you can be done in one day.

The Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) in NJ issues personal watercraft/boat license endorsements that are attached to state-issued drivers licenses or ID cards of residents who are 16 years of age or older. This is a requirement for anyone who wishes to operate a powered vessel on fresh, non-tidal waters, such as lakes, creeks or rivers. Furthermore, this type of boat certification is only required for motor-powered vessels. Conversely, non-powered vessels do not require a license.

NJ is perhaps a bit more anal... Boating safety certificate (requires a course participation and a proctored exam - that is for non-tidal waters only. For tidal/ocean, needs an endorsement on the Drivers License.

USCG Auxiliary offers courses and exams, most are taught by very experienced boaters. My wife is a vice commander of one of the USCG Auxiliary flotillas, based in NJ, I've been very impressed meeting the guys, it's a great group.

Usually a full day course w/exam, they send the endorsement to the state Dept Of Motor Vehicles, you can be done in one day.
The USCG Aux is a fantastic organization! We've had them perform a Safety Check on all our boats for as long as I can remember; not just to 'get the sticker', but also to get a chance to 'Talk Boats' with some knowledgeable and interesting people. Our boats are docked at our home; they even come to the house to do the Safety Check! The member who has performed our inspection/check the past few years is a retired Navy officer; I could talk to him all day! My wife and I took the USCG Aux multi-week, boating course back in the 1970's. Also, we were members of the United States Power Squadrons (name-changed to 'US Sail and Power Squadrons, and now name 'changing to America's Boating Club)... We were very active members for over 16? years, taught the public-safety boating classes and even some of the USPS Advanced classes... Congrats and thanks to all that the USCG Aux does; dittos on USPS!....

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of taking the Boating Safety Course (online) through Boat US. It is very informative and time consuming but the benefits outweigh any inconvenience. Years ago my Dad (avid Sailor on his 38' Alden Yawl) was a member of the Power Squadron and I used to attend meetings with him - they were very safety oriented and taught much of this same course back then. That was long ago and much of it has been forgotten but this course is bringing a lot of it back... most has been 'upgraded' now.

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that if you possess any level of USCG Captains license this requirement is waived. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few states decided that they want their pound of flesh anyway though. 🙄

I know it worked for me on a jet ski one time… really took the wind out of the sails of the marine police officer trying to show off to the much younger female officer in the boat with him. 😂

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that if you possess any level of USCG Captains license this requirement is waived. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few states decided that they want their pound of flesh anyway though. 🙄

I know it worked for me on a jet ski one time… really took the wind out of the sails of the marine police officer trying to show off to the much younger female officer in the boat with him. 😂
It would be nice to think that all states have someone in charge with enough common sense to waive the 'license/permit' requirements for those with a USCG Captains license! The CL takes multiples more study, training and effort than what it takes to pass a Public Boating Safety Class. Not at all criticizing the Boating Safety Classes, but there is no comparison with the requirements to get a Captains license.... But, like you mentioned, some states likely want their hands deeper into your pockets! ☺(Like the states that started requiring State Registration, even for Federally Documented boats. There was no reason to do such, other than to get more of your hard-earned $$$)....

Last edited:
Well, as I understand; after taking the course and passing the state exam, you're a boating expert (in Virginia)! Most anyone can attest to the fact that I'm older than 14, so I'm good to go. (My wife may differ...) Looks like the PWC or 'motorcycles of the sea' are a large portion of the safety course. (I got a question on that topic wrong when the question "was what does VA require to operate a PWC" - I chose "a swim suit" - if "without a swim suit" I would have chosen that one - the little schnooks!). But then older folks ride on them too... they're bigger.

Sorry, I sincerely believe this is a good thing. The sarcasm is sort-of a natural for this old man... (wife agrees). Optimism is still the prevalent belief and I'm sticking to that...God bless the USA!! I'll leave liberals alone when they leave my beliefs alone.

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of taking the Boating Safety Course (online) through Boat US. It is very informative and time consuming but the benefits outweigh any inconvenience. Years ago my Dad (avid Sailor on his 38' Alden Yawl) was a member of the Power Squadron and I used to attend meetings with him - they were very safety oriented and taught much of this same course back then. That was long ago and much of it has been forgotten but this course is bringing a lot of it back... most has been 'upgraded' now.
My only disappoint with the USPS Public Boating Safety Course was when they removed/eliminated the segments where they taught basic Nautical Chart work (running course lines; time/distance calculations/ labeling the chart lines, etc.). That was the most fun and most interesting part of the class for me. Their reasoning was to encourage class members to join the USPS if they wanted to continue/expand their 'boating education', to take advanced classes via the USPS. So although I understand the 'reasoning'; I just thought it was important enough to keep/include it in the basic class.... Yes, electronics took the 'front seat', and although I have three GPS's, radar, 2 EPIRB'S, sonar-extraordinaire! ☺, etc, and most of the modern electronics, I still, to this day, carry onboard, paper charts of everywhere I boat from the Chesapeake Bay, to South Carolina. (and have at home, most of the eastern seaboard).... Also, we have a compensated compass, (X2) and a deviation table for the compasses (x2) (the ONLY device I've had on my boats that has NEVER failed me! ☺).... I know; I am old and outdated, but doing the paper chart work is one of the most fun and rewarding exercises that I still enjoy...

this is incorrect. You have it backwards as far as tidal/non tidal and the requirements. Please refer to NJSP MARINE SERVICES Website
https://nj.gov/njsp/marine-services/boating-safety-certificate.shtml

After I passed the USCG Captain's Test (6-Pack), I contacted NJ State Police Marine Unit about the Boater's Safety Certificate. They told me to send a copy of the License/ID info, etc. My Boater's Safety Certificate arrived in a few days.
FYI

My only disappoint with the USPS Public Boating Safety Course was when they removed/eliminated the segments where they taught basic Nautical Chart work (running course lines; time/distance calculations/ labeling the chart lines, etc.). That was the most fun and most interesting part of the class for me. Their reasoning was to encourage class members to join the USPS if they wanted to continue/expand their 'boating education', to take advanced classes via the USPS. So although I understand the 'reasoning'; I just thought it was important enough to keep/include it in the basic class.... Yes, electronics took the 'front seat', and although I have three GPS's, radar, 2 EPIRB'S, sonar-extraordinaire! ☺, etc, and most of the modern electronics, I still, to this day, carry onboard, paper charts of everywhere I boat from the Chesapeake Bay, to South Carolina. (and have at home, most of the eastern seaboard).... Also, we have a compensated compass, (X2) and a deviation table for the compasses (x2) (the ONLY device I've had on my boats that has NEVER failed me! ☺).... I know; I am old and outdated, but doing the paper chart work is one of the most fun and rewarding exercises that I still enjoy...
That's right - hadn't really realized it but there is no navigation in the course at all and only a brief mention of meteorology or weather systems. I inherited the navigation instruments that Dad used. Good to know the older methods of what is basically behind what a GPS does for you. The reliance on this new technology has become impossible to do without. I have an older pickup truck with no screen, no navigation and no maps...I purchased a small 8" Garmin GPS for the navigation (route bad memory crutch):oops:

I also took an in person USCG course in the 70's and learned Nautical Charting. Unfortunately Florida leads the nation in boating accidents today. Hardly a boating day goes by where I don't yield my right away. Watching boaters running aground at 30 knots is also common in our many shallow areas in the Florida Keys along with Boaters asking " where am I". Here is a picture of a 38ft sport fish off of Rodriguez Key.

Attachments

• 20220219_130558.jpg
    20220219_130558.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220219_130452.jpg
    20220219_130452.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Both boating safety certificate and boat license are required in NJ, tidal or not. You cant get a boat license without a safety cert.

Back