Boating in WI?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcunniff

Reaction score
I had an interview in WI last week. Not sure what will happen.

Any comments on lake boating there, probably not on Lake Michigan. If I took a job there, might be around Beloit and north to Madison or east to Lake Geneva.

How big a boat can be accomodated. Is there slip access or trailering. Any real use of rivers.

Thanks.

Dana

We have a few members based in the lakes areas.
I'd be interested in hearing what they report.

Depends on what your looking for - Madison has five lakes & is near the Wisconsin River. There's the Wolf & Mississippi close to the area you mentioned, and Lake Geneva has larger boats. Many midwest inland boaters own "Trailer Queens" to maximize boating/fishing opportunites and save on storage (painted trailers are normal - you rarely see a galvanized or aluminum trailer). You also see a lot of aluminum fishing and pontoon boats.

The season is short. They say boaters north of the Mason Dixon Line only average 37 hours per season on motors. Many folks with slips and larger boats use them as summer homes.

Thanks Mokee. I do not know where the opportunity will lead and whether I would end up there. I do know I currently have a 25' Parker and would have to figure out whether to bring it or not. I would think it would be too big for some of the lakes. I have a trailer too.

I don't know whether you would see something like that on the river(s).

We now do pleasure boating and some seasonal fishing.

Thanks. We'll see more feedback.

Dana

Dana - you have an excellent boat for salmon fishing on Lake Michigan & cruising the pools on the Mississippi river. I'd love to cruise Green Bay, Upper Lake Michigan & Huron in it.

IMO ramps in the upper midwest are not as nice as you find in a lot of areas along the East coast in terms of numbers, layout, depth and courtesy docks.

OK Mokee. Thanks for the info.

We'll see. All my interviews so far are outside MA so that is why I asked.

Dana

Back