Bottom paint strip and re-do

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while since the job was done but better late than never!

Michael and his crew at MTNK media blasting in Rockland, MA did a great job on my boat. Turns out the boat had a huge repair on the aft section of the keel that needed to be re-done. Michael sent me a video of the sandblasted hull and sections that needed repair before doing any work, and then had his glass guy working overtime to get the boat ready before Memorial Day Weekend. Michael was easy to communicate with, and the pricing was pretty reasonable for this area, especially considering the one-stop-shop nature of his outfit for anything below the rub rail.

As I mentioned before, the package deal was $90/ft for the sandblasting, 2 coats of high-build epoxy barrier coat, and 2 coats of ablative for $2070 total. The glass/repair work was billed at $110/hour, and given how much work needed to be done I really don't think he over-billed me on hours. Compound+wax was an additional $400.

My only gripes are:
1. I would have done a better job with the compound+wax and regretted spending the $400 on it, but that's on me because I live in an apartment and didn't have a place or the time to park and detail the boat between Michael's shop and the ramp.
2. There was sandblasting media on the deck that looked like it stained, but with some light scrubbing it came off. Maybe they could have tented the boat better, but it wasn't that big of a deal in the end.
3. They painted over the drain plug so when I went to launch the boat I had to spend 10 minutes with a utility knife scraping out the threads to get the plug in. That was a pain.

I'll end with more good stuff: The paint lines are clean, the bottom is very smooth, the hull shines, and there's little to no growth on the hull after more than a month on the water. For comparison, my unpainted new transom-mounted transducer is LOADED with growth. I also picked up 1-2mph on my top end.

Funny enough, the boat was finished before MDW, but in the Boston area it was MISERABLE. I had to launch in rain at 47 degrees with 30+MPH wind to help launch my uncle's 37ft Sea Ray that's missing its second engine. You can bet your money we were out on the boat the second the weather cleared, though. 😎

Back