Bracket or notched??????

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parker john

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me!!! I currently own a 2003 2120 with 150 2 stroke . Was looking to move up to a 2520sldv ( notched transom ) I posted a question concerning modified ( 16 degree ) or deep v ( 21 degree ) and received a lot of feed back about why I would want a notched transom. ( Im concerned about weight issues for towing ) I owned a 1995 23cc DV with a bracket with a Oceanrunner 225 , and in the nasty , ( drifting )the outboard would go 75% ( 1 time almost 100 % ) underwater. I'm confused!!! I'm not getting that much water on my deck now with the notched transom!!! Is this still an issue with the bracket or was my situation unique?
Thanks, John

Honestly... even though most folks have a preference for one or the other for many different reasons, there are benefits and drawbacks to either design.
With a full transom, you can opt for a fish box, live well, 'tuna door', and swim platform on the new models.
With a notch, you have a shorter overall length which is an advantage in some marinas.

I have a full transom and a bracket on my boat, so I cannot comment on the notch as I've not driven one, but I suspect some who have will weigh in here. :wink:

Good luck with your decision!

I have a 2000 2520 MV notched transom. I looked at many 2520's leading up to my purchase 3 years ago. I preferred the bracket and was holding out to get the bracket for the reasons Megabyte mentioned.....however, all of the bracketed 2520's were a little pricier. I figured out I was operating on a notched budget and was able to get a well taken care of notched 2520. I do not have boat envy when I see a bracketed 2520. However, I have to think the bracket is the way to go for added features but the notched transom has been fine.

I'll admit I was the harshest critic of you looking for a notched transom boat ... but in your PM to me, you said you wanted to go out fishing 30-40-miles on a routine basis. There's no way a notched transom boat would on any of MY shorts lists - but that is my choice, not yours. I'll also admit that if that was what I was going to do every weekend, a Parker would not be on my list, as I'd be in something with a deeper-V or better ride ...

To me, another big issue is with your decision to trailer the boat. You need special permits for oversize trailering a 25' SC with full transom and OB bracket, as well as a notched transom boat anyway ... so why not get a deep-V 23' SC with full transom if looking at Parkers ... ?

I'm leaning towards the 2320dv Dale, but I want to weigh all my options! I sort of have my heart set for a 2520dv and am afraid to commit to a 23 and be sorry I did in a couple years! Thought about the towing issues also but I don't trailer on the road,I leave my rig on a trailer at Rye harbor, I'm just concerned about pulling the 2520xldv out of the ramp with my 2012 Toyota Tacoma, I'm not sure but I think it might be too much for that truck even in four low.

If that's all your towing...I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

Don't know where you live?

On the Gulf Coast we have times that wind comes from one direction and current from 180degs the other direction. Full transoms and brackets are the choice down here. On anchor it can stack the water right into a notched transom.

parker john":1h2ew8s2 said:
Thought about the towing issues also but I don't trailer on the road,I leave my rig on a trailer at Rye harbor ...
Oops, I had you confused with another somewhat local-to-me boater looking for a Parker. Sorry, but my PM and email in-box fills up this year and 1/2-dozen or more boating questions per week ... and I just can't keep them all straight ...

Have you considered Harpoon's 2510 model with newer Suzi power? Look in the 4 Sale forums ...

Im thinking it can be done ( pulling a 2520xl up the ramp and into a desigated spot at the marine) ( 100 yards ) with a toyota tacoma 6 cylinder 4X4, but im not really confident enough to drop 40k to 70k on something Im not 100% on,I would really appriecate any thoughts on this, I launch in NH,( 10+ft tides), Im a big fan of Parkers and fish from April to November and dont think I can do without the bada$$ of a pilot house Parker !!
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help!!
John

Apples and oranges maybe, but my Tacoma 6 cyl, 4x4 pulls my 2110 like it weighs 100 lbs. I hardly even notice that it's there over the road. I think the Tacoma will pull a lot (I have the towing package which is ~ 6,500 lbs iirc)...braking on the other hand might be a different matter...

I have a 1995 2520MV with the notch and have not had any problems. I think the MV mitigates the notch somewhat in that the broader section offers more resistance to pitching and swamping. Can routinely have 3-4 big guys on the stern along with a 225 Opti and the scuppers are always dry. Have a buddy with a 23 Steiger deep vee and the damn thing ships water if you look at it cross eyed-not the same boat but very similar design.
Have a 2004 Tundra 4wd w/ V8 as well. Realize the newer Tacoma is nearly as big as the older Tundra but don't think it matches the power or towing. A 2520 is a very heavy boat ( really too much for my truck too but it is @ 2 miles to the ramp)-even a steep ramp might be a challenge IMO. On the other hand if it is truly just pulling it out you could likely find a buddy with a F250 or the like.

We have a 2005 2520 mv notched and regularly fish offshore for groundfish and tuna and have no issues whatsoever with water shipping in the notch. Been out in some very snotty weather too. On the other hand, when trying to get a tuna around the back of the boat I have been very glad we didn't have to deal with the bracket.

In the Gulf, with the confused seas a closed bracket has its advantages. We found we could fish off the stern with the swim platform and it gave a great platform for the kids swimming.

fighterpilot":3cta7jqn said:
In the Gulf, with the confused seas a closed bracket has its advantages. We found we could fish off the stern with the swim platform and it gave a great platform for the kids swimming.

As a follow-up to my comments about pulling the 2520 even a very short way with a Tacoma- my 1995 2520MVSC was on the travel lift today to power wash the bottom and it registered over 7800# with full fuel/225 Opti/gear/cooler/deck chairs etc etc.
No wonder my Tundra feels like it is at it's limit-it is (figure @ 9k with the trailer).

Elysium":tf9cl42d said:
As a follow-up to my comments about pulling the 2520 even a very short way with a Tacoma- my 1995 2520MVSC was on the travel lift today to power wash the bottom and it registered over 7800# with full fuel/225 Opti/gear/cooler/deck chairs etc etc.
No wonder my Tundra feels like it is at it's limit-it is (figure @ 9k with the trailer).

Good information.
We get a lot of questions regarding the true weight of these boats. Most find they are heavier that they ever thought. :shock:

Apples and oranges maybe, but my Tacoma 6 cyl, 4x4 pulls my 2110 like it weighs 100 lbs. I hardly even notice that it's there over the road. I think the Tacoma will pull a lot (I have the towing package which is ~ 6,500 lbs iirc)...braking on the other hand might be a different matter...
What is the boat motor trailer weight of the 2110? Thanks

Back